Radiator Leaking 57 pickup

The short answer is that the original cooling system was designed for 7lbs. At 15lbs you’ More than doubling the pressure in the system. You can cause gasket leaks, etc. when I switched to my champion radiator, I was using the 15lb cap, and it wasn’t cooling right and was always hissing after a drive. I switched to the 7lb cap and everything was good.

You are right about the 7 lb cap and brings up an issue I have with the 1961 service manual to which I refer.

On page 118, paragraph H-4, it says: "Early production vehicles were equipped with 7 lb. pressure caps; later vehicles with 9 lb. [0,63 kg-cm 2] caps. Current production Model L6-226 4WD and 4x4 vehicles are equipped with 13 lb. pressure caps; all others with the 9 lb. caps." That's fine except it doesn't make clear what years or serial numbers are included in the categories of "early production," "later production," and "current production."

Since my wagon is a 1960 I'll assume it's not "current production" and is part of "later production," and should be equipped with a 9 lb. cap.

However, I'm using a 16 lb. cap. When the original radiator and heater cores were re-cored, they were pressure tested to 30 psi so I'm not concerned about them failing, nor am I concerned about coolant system hoses, gaskets, etc. The 7 lb. increase in system pressure, with a 33% ethylene glycol mix, increases the boiling point to about 260°F (about 15 degrees more that at 9 lb.) For me, the biggest benefit of a higher boiling point is the prevention of localize boiling at hot spots around the combustion chambers. The lower anti-freeze concentration (from the usual recommend 50:50) is better heat transfer.

If under max power (not there yet) the coolant was to suddenly boil around the combustion chamber, detonation (and engine death) would be he likely outcome.

It would be interesting to know what made your engine "hiss" with the 15 lb. cap. When you say "wasn't cooling right", do you mean overheating?

Service Manual - H-4 Radiator Pressure Cap, Pg 118.jpg

You are right about the 7 lb cap and brings up an issue I have with the 1961 service manual to which I refer.

On page 118, paragraph H-4, it says: "Early production vehicles were equipped with 7 lb. pressure caps; later vehicles with 9 lb. [0,63 kg-cm 2] caps. Current production Model L6-226 4WD and 4x4 vehicles are equipped with 13 lb. pressure caps; all others with the 9 lb. caps." That's fine except it doesn't make clear what years or serial numbers are included in the categories of "early production," "later production," and "current production."

Since my wagon is a 1960 I'll assume it's not "current production" and is part of "later production," and should be equipped with a 9 lb. cap.

However, I'm using a 16 lb. cap. When the original radiator and heater cores were re-cored, they were pressure tested to 30 psi so I'm not concerned about them failing, nor am I concerned about coolant system hoses, gaskets, etc. The 7 lb. increase in system pressure, with a 33% ethylene glycol mix, increases the boiling point to about 260°F (about 15 degrees more that at 9 lb.) For me, the biggest benefit of a higher boiling point is the prevention of localize boiling at hot spots around the combustion chambers. The lower anti-freeze concentration (from the usual recommend 50:50) is better heat transfer.

If under max power (not there yet) the coolant was to suddenly boil around the combustion chamber, detonation (and engine death) would be he likely outcome.

It would be interesting to know what made your engine "hiss" with the 15 lb. cap. When you say "wasn't cooling right", do you mean overheating?

View attachment 58656
When the 15lb cap was used, the engine did run hot, and was on the brink of overheating. At the time of using the 15lb cap I was just driving short 1-2 mile trips to pickup my children from school. It was in April or May, and was nice springtime weather, but not 90 degrees out. When I got to the school parking lot you could hear the “hissing” sound. I switched to the 7lb cap and it stopped. Greeley is about 4500 feet above sea level, not sure if that would play a part in it or not???

As far as the increase in pressure, I’m aware of the benefits of running a higher psi cap.

Was getting the wagon ready for a little drive and found the radiator with no visible coolant. This has never happened before, so I suspected something was wrong. Sure enough, when I started adding coolant, I could see a leak. (See picture, the pliers are pointing to the spot where it is leaking, at the base of the solid top, just above the fins.)

Question: is this something that can be properly fixed and be reliable for a long time, or is it just going to start disintegrating?

Repair or replace?

Thanks

70A0DEA0-00E8-4E31-B546-8D5263C55C1F.jpeg

Two generations of radiators. The one that is leaking is on the left. The other has been repaired in several places.

A5838114-FB47-44CC-868A-4ADF6062B02D.jpeg

7D92EC9B-DE0B-4EEE-AEDF-819FFADCBAD8.jpeg

Was getting the wagon ready for a little drive and found the radiator with no visible coolant. This has never happened before, so I suspected something was wrong. Sure enough, when I started adding coolant, I could see a leak. (See picture, the pliers are pointing to the spot where it is leaking, at the base of the solid top, just above the fins.)

Question: is this something that can be properly fixed and be reliable for a long time, or is it just going to start disintegrating?

Repair or replace?

Thanks
I dunno. If you aren't hung up on total authenticity, the Champion aluminum replacement was a good value, and an easy replacement.

I got a quote on re-coring these radiators — $417 apiece. Not sure which route to take at this point.
Carter, have you checked the replacement radiators for the 6-226 from Walck’s ? Price is over 500 ... says they are copper core and made in USA . Curious how the fit and quality is . Anybody gone that route?

Ken, did you have to reconfigure the grill supports?

Yeah, I’ve been looking around at the options. Still not sure which direction to go.

Last edited:
I dunno. If you aren't hung up on total authenticity, the Champion aluminum replacement was a good value, and an easy replacement.

It looks like a good product but it irks me that the grill braces have to be reconfigured and the outlet goes off in the wrong direction. If they’re going to go to the trouble to make a product for a specific application, why would they not design it to fit correctly?

It looks like a good product but it irks me that the grill braces have to be reconfigured and the outlet goes off in the wrong direction. If they’re going to go to the trouble to make a product for a specific application, why would they not design it to fit correctly?

On my 57, the braces appear to be correct. There were two extra braces and the radiator was larger. This one fit precisely to the grill frame. As for the outlet being angled, yes it is a PITA, but a flex hose fixed the issue (although as you see in the pic, I have a too long one). For $250 with shipping I am fine with it.

I haven’t purchased one yet . I have a small weep hole at the bottom of mine and have been contemplating whether to repair or replace it . The Walck’s one looks like it’s an original replacement ,

My 1960 original radiator, PN 9119558, is shaped differently than the one from Walck's. The top tank is more rounded on the ends and the bottom tank has radiused edges rather than square.

The Walck"s replacement may fit and work but eventually there will be no such thing as an original or original looking Willys if we continue to accept using parts that are only "close enough." As Carter said "If they’re going to go to the trouble to make a product for a specific application, why would they not design it to fit correctly?"

My wagon is modified but try to keep as many parts as original as possible. At least when I modify something it's my decision - I would be hard pressed to pay someone for a part that is advertised as original but is not.

Radiator Top Tank.jpgRadiator Part Number.jpg

This has been an interesting exercise — it’s given me the chance to learn a bit about radiators, of which I knew nothing.

For example, my current leaking radiator was re-cored at least once before, using a staggered 3-row core with straight horizontal fins in a style commonly used on on tractors, because it’s strong, not because it’s most efficient at cooling.

There seems to be a debate about what is the most efficient core style: is two rows with channels 1” or 1.25” wide more efficient than three or four rows with channels less wide? At least one radiator manufacturer argues for fewer, wider rows.

Also, copper is apparently a better conductor of heat than aluminum, but the solder used to attach the fins to the core channels slows the rate of heat transfer, significantly reducing the advantages of copper.

Anyway, I gave the shop the go-ahead to re-core the radiator from my wagon. I’ll wait on the other, original radiator.

My 1960 original radiator, PN 9119558, is shaped differently than the one from Walck's. The top tank is more rounded on the ends and the bottom tank has radiused edges rather than square.

The Walck"s replacement may fit and work but eventually there will be no such thing as an original or original looking Willys if we continue to accept using parts that are only "close enough." As Carter said "If they’re going to go to the trouble to make a product for a specific application, why would they not design it to fit correctly?"

My wagon is modified but try to keep as many parts as original as possible. At least when I modify something it's my decision - I would be hard pressed to pay someone for a part that is advertised as original but is not.

View attachment 58921View attachment 58920
Bill,
I probably shouldn’t have said “ looks like an original replacement “ o_O Walck’s advertisement said fits pick up truck , station wagon models. Mounts like the original... I was just throwing it out there as another option . I was wondering if any forum members had purchased one and were they happy . Im probably going to try to repair mine first and cross my fingers that it lasts . It would be nice to have an exact replacement as an option but I’m afraid to think what that would cost .

Got my radiator back from the shop with the new core. This appears to be an aftermarket replacement radiator made by Modine Manufacturing, which is a 100+ year old firm based in Wisconsin, publicly traded, and still making a variety of heat transfer products, but not radiators for old Willys.

8599E731-34F8-4B7E-A447-7BBA2A31FD87.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good Carter. I got to this discussion late, but wanted to throw in my experience with one of my jeeps. The original WWII GPW radiator had 3 rows. The replacements I came across only had 2 rows. Living in California in an area that can get to 110 I didn't feel comfortable with that. I got it re-cored and the new core was made with 4 rows. That I felt good about, but haven't hit summer with it yet.

Looks good Carter. I got to this discussion late, but wanted to throw in my experience with one of my jeeps. The original WWII GPW radiator had 3 rows. The replacements I came across only had 2 rows. Living in California in an area that can get to 110 I didn't feel comfortable with that. I got it re-cored and the new core was made with 4 rows. That I felt good about, but haven't hit summer with it yet.

I haven’t had a chance to see my new core yet — my wife picked it up while I was out of town on business. I did stress to the guys doing it that these radiators are only adequate and that a new core should be at least as efficient as the old one — a staggered 3-row — which always worked OK. Hopefully they And the local core builder they use got it right.

Edit: looks like the new core is staggered 3-row like the old one.

120D6D58-CF22-4840-8478-E8C1C4C63956.jpeg

Last edited:
I just purchased a used radiator for my 57 Pickup with a 6-226 that was removed from a 57 pickup that was repowered.
The mounting bracket is broken loose at the lower tank. I want to resolder the bracket, pressure test the radiator, and purchase a new cap.
I do not have an owners manual. I searched the forum looking for one. I found the same info that Bill Kuran posted about in Post # 21 from the 1961 Manual. It speaks about Early, Later & Current Production models & 3 different cap pressures...
Has anyone interpreted this info and came up with the correct Model years to system or cap pressures??
I know that I can probably use a higher pressure cap and it would be fine, as others have done.
But I would like to use the correct cap for my restoration, and know the correct system pressure.

Thanks!

Phil

I have two radiators for my wagon, the one in it when I got it was a honeycomb style and had a slight leak. The second came with my engine, and I had it re-cored for about $500 bucks. I run a zero psi cap with a reservoir that always keeps the radiator full to the cap. Never overheats and works great.

I got a quote to have the honeycomb re-cored. It was about $700. I may do that some day because it is cool looking.

Back