Dec 6, 2014
San Francisco, CA
First Name
Steve
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I am finally getting the last bits of the installation of a new engine in my 55 Wagon and have a couple questions. The vacuum line for the vacuum advance is clogged at the carb end with what looks like a cotton packing and I cannot blow through it. I am guessing that is not supposed to be there. Am I correct that that line should be clear? Secondly, there is a bowed tube crossmember about 12 inches rear of the tranny crossmember. I do not see this on any other wagons and although it looks beefy and well made, I don't think it is original. Is it and is it worth putting back on?
crossmember 1.jpg crossmember 2.jpg

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Try running a piece of weed eater string from the opposite end to push it out, if compressed air won’t work.

And If THAT doesn't work - try burning it out. Heat the tubing with a small propane torch or similar and make it real hot for a while - then see if the air or weed eater string will go through after it cools down.

Owenwalk

Bigger Hammer
Dec 6, 2014
San Francisco, CA
First Name
Steve
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
And If THAT doesn't work - try burning it out. Heat the tubing with a small propane torch or similar and make it real hot for a while - then see if the air or weed eater string will go through after it cools down.
Can't do that. It is rubber. I don't think it should be too difficult to clear. Here's a follow up question. Should this line be metal?

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Can't do that. It is rubber. I don't think it should be too difficult to clear. Here's a follow up question. Should this line be metal?
Yeah - probably not a great idea for rubber! Haha. Never thought about that possibility.... Mine is steel (obviously), on the Flathead 4 cylinder.

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
I did not mean to imply that yours should necessarily be steel - I don't know what engine you have, nor therefore what would have been correct for it in 1955...

Owenwalk

Bigger Hammer
Dec 6, 2014
San Francisco, CA
First Name
Steve
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I did not mean to imply that yours should necessarily be steel - I don't know what engine you have, nor therefore what would have been correct for it in 1955...
Its a 226, but logic tells me a metal line is a better choice for vacuum. And I don't get hung up on it being 100% correct, especially performance and safety. 98% is good'nuf.