Putting the pieces back together...front clip.

homewood4

Precision Fit
Oct 23, 2009
Citrus Heights & Tahoe
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Is there any material available that describes the proper sequence of reassembly after all body parts have been removed? My truck came in parts and a label that said "some assembly required...start well before Christmas Eve".....
Would this be right?
Cab, Radiator, Radiator shell, Front fenders, Hood, Front valance, Beer, Bed, Rear fenders, Tailgate, Doors, Beer?
Anyone know what fasteners to use? Any welting between parts?
Other tricks I should have up my sleeve?
Want to get a bow around this before thanksgiving.
Thanks....Happy Labor Day weekend.

homewood4 said:
Is there any material available that describes the proper sequence of reassembly after all body parts have been removed? My truck came in parts and a label that said "some assembly required...start well before Christmas Eve".....
Would this be right?
Cab, Radiator, Radiator shell, Beer, Front fenders, Beer, Hood, Front valance, Beer, Bed, Rear fenders, Tailgate, Doors, Beer?
Anyone know what fasteners to use? Any welting between parts?
Other tricks I should have up my sleeve?
Want to get a bow around this before thanksgiving.
Thanks....Happy Labor Day weekend.

I fixed it for you, you will need a few beers befor and after working on those front fenders. :cheers: Good luck and have fun.

Yes, whoever the spawn of Satan was that came up with the fender mounting idea will burn forever! :evil: :evil: How do you even get your hands into some of those places? Do what Drat says, have beer before, then when your hands are bleeding it won't be so bad.

seems to me that you need to bolt the grille assy onto the fenders that are already in place. That's going from my memory of disassembly 2 years ago. And now that I see Dratwagon's fenderless creation, I am currently in the camp of fenderless myself. Obviously mine is not a restoration but more of a street rod or rat rod in the making.

I don't know if this is of any help, but I always end up putting the fenders on first, without tightening them, then fit the grille in. I snug the grille up just a bit to aid alignment, then tighten up the fenders and go back to the grille to finish it off. I've done this several times and it works for me. If you didn't mark the hood hinges expect to take it up and down several times as well.
Steve

These Willys trucks...they can drive you to drink...I wish I could drink when I was taking the nose off mine ( I quit about the same time I got my first Jeep)...Mine had a kind of sticky fender welting type stuff. Also there is a rubber piece (Walcks sells them) that goes onto the cowl when the hood closes along with a rubber bump stop on each side of the hood opening. The rubber gasket just sticks on and the rubber bumpers screw into the cowl. I believe there is another horse hair type thing around the radiator on the top and the bottom.
Hope this helps you out

MikeC

I have to agree with some of the previous notes. I have been looking at mine thinking how the heck am I going to do this with fresh paint. Best idea I have is bribe a second set of hands with some beer, then mount fenders to firewall loosely and then set the grille in for final fit/adjustment then snug em down at the grill and firewall. Don't allow helper to have too much beer before starting is my only concern.

I guess that I am the bass-ackwards guy here, :? I prefer to mount the grille first, then the fenders.

Thanks for all the input...Waiting to get rest of parts from painter....
I kinda expect to assemble most everything "loose" so I can make alignment adjustments, then tighten up.
Stainless or zinc bolts?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 66
Personally, I think stainless is getting a bit carried away. Then again looking at those pics, it would certainly be warrented. Lookin' damn good.
Steve

Back