Aug 30, 2017
Michigan
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Does anyone know what the little push button switch behind the gas pedal is for? Four wires come off that switch. Mine has been rusted up for years. Before I throw it away I'd like to know what it was for. Thanks Pete67

That should be a kick down switch for a Borg Warner overdrive. These were most often found on 2wd rigs, but could be used on 4wd rigs.

Are you sure? I read somewhere it was used to kick in the flux capacitor on certain models. Can you just imagine the 2 parallel lines of fire left after turning that on in your wagon. Gives me chills just thinking about it. So don’t throw it away.

Bill, you need to add that flux option to your rig. A turbo flux.

Are you sure? I read somewhere it was used to kick in the flux capacitor on certain models. Can you just imagine the 2 parallel lines of fire left after turning that on in your wagon. Gives me chills just thinking about it. So don’t throw it away.

Oh Mickey...
When are you moving to Durango?
Pete, whatever you do, DON'T throw it away. Stash it in your "old parts" bin until you get it all done or sorted out.

How the heck ya gonna get the rig up ta 88mph. Huh, huh, huh?

Yep, mostly likely a Borg Warner overdrive kick down switch. The overdrive works with electric controls, and the switch has two circuits. One of them momentarily cuts power to the iginition to take the torque off of the transmission, the the other cuts power to the solenoid to shift out of overdrive. Sort of works like a modern automatic, when you give it full throttle it will downshift into direct drive. If you still have the overdrive, there is a great service manual for it in the forum resources library.
Pete

Electro mechanical pulse, (happens when a Nuke is exploded in the air) knocks out all electronics, fries the circuit boards. There are some pretty good fiction novels about that. (The only engines that run are the old style ignition systems) like in our vintage vehicles. No refrigeration, no electricity, back to a primitive society like the turn of the century.

Back