Aug 24, 2013
Bolton, MA
First Name
Christopher
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
This took some horse trading with my wife, (for one, I have to sell my motorcycle project) but finally she agreed to let me buy my new toy. Not sure what the long term plan is, for now it is a yard truck. Needed a plow vehicle! But, this thing is just too cool to let it go to pot. I may restore it some day! It needs some short term work - mostly the frame has a crack where the inner reinforcements have rotted away. I can fix that! Looking forward to being a part of this forum, and hope I can can count on it for some much needed help along the way!
IMG_5526.jpgIMG_5518.jpgIMG_5517.jpg

Welcome Catuck!

I"m having a hard time figuring out your truck though (that is often the case with Willys wagons and trucks). At first I thought that must be a late '53 or an early '54 since it has only 3 grille bars but then it's got the small rear window and '52 should have been the last year for that. Also, looks like someone put a later model (1960 and up) 1 piece windshield in it. For some reason, Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" is running through my head. ;)

The above has no effect on the coolness factor however, it looks like a nice truck and you'll have fun with it. A 327 should be a good fit power wise.

Last edited:
Thanks Jinx, great to have some input from someone much more familiar than me. The seller told me it was a '53 - other than that I have no idea! This is my first delve into the Willy's world (other than my dad's old CJ5?). The windshield is plexi the previous owner glued in place. He gave me the orig. frame sans center bar. I have no doubt it is akin to Cash's Caddi though - it's anyone's guess what this truck has seen in 60+ years!

The 327 runs like a top (running a little rich but otherwise starts right up).

One silly question: which of the two shift levers is hi-low range and is it forward or back for low range? Can't remember from the CJ and my shifter hits the floor board before engaging all the way back.

Thanks Jinx, great to have some input from someone much more familiar than me. The seller told me it was a '53 - other than that I have no idea! This is my first delve into the Willy's world (other than my dad's old CJ5?). The windshield is plexi the previous owner glued in place. He gave me the orig. frame sans center bar. I have no doubt it is akin to Cash's Caddi though - it's anyone's guess what this truck has seen in 60+ years!

The 327 runs like a top (running a little rich but otherwise starts right up).

One silly question: which of the two shift levers is hi-low range and is it forward or back for low range? Can't remember from the CJ and my shifter hits the floor board before engaging all the way back.

The one closest to the driver is 4wd in and out and the other is high low. Low should be all the way forward, Neutral in the middle, and High all the way back.

Back to the engine... Some folks think the V8's have a little too much power for these old trucks but I find that they are perfect. I have a 290 hp 350 in mine and it is just right IMHO. I don't have any traction problems on pavement with my 33" tires even when I floor it, yet it get's up and goes well enough to pass cars (and not just tractors like my old 226).

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer! I am not that concerned about too much power - I won't be doing any drag racing! Plus, this engine has been in for over two decades and everything seems to be working fine. I doubt the old engine has much power left in it anyway. Would be a fun re-build though, I built a 350 many years ago for a Camaro.

but then it's got the small rear window and '52 should have been the last year for that.

Thought '53 was the last year for the small back glass...

Either way, if the serial number plate is still there a '52 should start with 452- and the '53 should start with 453-

Thought '53 was the last year for the small back glass...

Either way, if the serial number plate is still there a '52 should start with 452- and the '53 should start with 453-

You may be right or '53 may be one of the famous "transition years" that have both.

I think I'll run out and take a look - where should I look for the plate?

If it's on the firewall, drivers side then it's missing!

Last edited:
Back