Pictures please, wagons on stock 15" rims with 7x15 or 215/75R15 tires

I like the 4psi method,, when your tyres are cold you have x amount of pressure,, go for a drive until your tyres are warm the pressure should read x +4psi higher,, works on all radial tyres,, for any given load,, for example you start on a lightly laden vehicle with 30psi,, when the tyres are warm it should read 34psi,, if it reads higher,, you started with your pressure to low and your tyres are working hard for your load you are carrying,, if it reads lower than 34psi,, you have to much pressure, if you are carrying a heavy load, you would start with a higher psi,, but the same rules apply,, when warm it should read 4psi higher,, have used this method on many vehicles and has worked for me,, ( imho )

That is a GREAT thread.

So you're asking for my WAG now huh? I'd venture 32-34psi. Of course your ride will be stiffer. How's the treasure wear Carter? Even across the width? No cupping? Is it predictable and stable at highway speeds?

BTW, for those interested in 16" tires, (apologies to the OP) I just ordered these in 215/85R-16 after a long talk with my local tire store. Ordered 5, that's gonna hurt when I pay for 'em.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-s-t-maxx
View attachment 74896
So far the tires have worn pretty well. I was noticing The other day on the fronts that the edges were wearing a little faster than the middle, so they may be a little soft, but it’s probably also a function of constantly cornering here in the foothill canyon country. Planning to rotate them this weekend and will add a little pressure.

As far as highway handling, they’ve been great. Steers well, feels stable going straight and in mild turns at any speed it will do. With the high arc springs, high profile tires, and high center of gravity, harder cornering Is best done at lower speeds.

And that's a crying shame, those are the best of both worlds.
I thought they would be more attractive than they apparently were to the Jeep crowd. But thinking about it, no one with a military Jeep would want tires that say Yokohama on the sidewall, and I’m not too fond of it either. Too bad they didn’t do a licensing deal with Goodyear.

Getting my tires broke down Monday they are very old.these are nylon tubeless tires. They have tubes in them though as dry cracked as they are the are not flat. Crazy old gear.

View attachment 74904View attachment 74905View attachment 74906

Not surprising to me that they hold air. Old tires were built to last. New tires are junk after 5 years. I told my dealer the tires I ordered will likely time out before they wear out.

@Willymeade, what are those wheels for?

Last edited:
So far the tires have worn pretty well. I was noticing The other day on the fronts that the edges were wearing a little faster than the middle, so they may be a little soft, but it’s probably also a function of constantly cornering here in the foothill canyon country. Planning to rotate them this weekend and will add a little pressure.

As far as highway handling, they’ve been great. Steers well, feels stable going straight and in mild turns at any speed it will do. With the high arc springs, high profile tires, and high center of gravity, harder cornering Is best done at lower speeds.

Keep an eye on that thread wear. If you want to try an experiment, draw a line across the front tires with chalk, crayon, etc. Drive straight on asphalt. You'll have to experiment how far to drive. Check how the line wore off the tread. Evenly or just on the edges, or for over inflation, just in the center.

That is a GREAT thread.

So you're asking for my WAG now huh? I'd venture 32-34psi. Of course your ride will be stiffer. How's the treasure wear Carter? Even across the width? No cupping? Is it predictable and stable at highway speeds?

BTW, for those interested in 16" tires, (apologies to the OP) I just ordered these in 215/85R-16 after a long talk with my local tire store. Ordered 5, that's gonna hurt when I pay for 'em.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-s-t-maxx
View attachment 74896
Those Cooper st maxx are what I'm looking at also. I just got 4 new Cooper a/t for my dd and I love em,so I started looking at what they had to offer for my wagon as well.

Those Cooper st maxx are what I'm looking at also. I just got 4 new Cooper a/t for my dd and I love em,so I started looking at what they had to offer for my wagon as well.

I've used Coops for awhile now. Mostly the Discoverer AT3. Seem to be quality tires.

Thanks for the psi replies. I always thought these trucks rode like an unsprung log wagon. Even after I put new springs and shocks on. Evidently the tire shop that mounted my tires put 55 psi in them. I lowered it to 33 psi. Oh my gosh, what a huge difference! It’s a fairly civilized ride. I would probably put more air in if I was hauling a load, but I really don’t see that happening.

Those wheels are what came on the wagon when I bought it. Thought it was neat they were Springfield tires out of toledo. The tires will be removed and sandblasting on the rims begins.

I always thought the tire pressure started with what the sidewall recommended and then went by contact patch (up or down) and then temporarily by what was loaded.

On my V8 CJ5 I had desert dogs, 30x 15's on 8" rims, that after doing the method just described, I ended up at 11 PSI on the street! Yes! 11, because the carcasses were crowned it was the only way to get a flat (or close to) contact patch!!! Ran them hard too; interstate, off road, racing...everything...never had a problem with bead retention! I miss those tires...!

Dale

Can you tell me more about your springs? I take it they are not same as stock?

Can you tell me more about your springs? I take it they are not same as stock?
Rancho Suspension. They no longer make them for this application, but there are a lot of them out there, so you could probably find a set if you ask around.

I’ve been wanting to go back to something closer to stock height. These are actually a little too high for my taste, though it is awfully nice to be able to crawl under the wagon and do just about anything anywhere, without jacks or ramps.

Back