Oct 17, 2016
Colorado
First Name
Rick
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Hey all, I have a 50 PU and I have a no axles or leaf springs under it. I am curious if anyone here has or knows of a link to suspension changes/upgrades such as 4link rear end, or an indepen front suspension upgrade. I believe older fords can have the crown vic front end rolled under them, and ive read up on the S10 swaps.

Ive tried to search using the search tools and it brings up 100's of pages. So any help would be great and thanks in advance.

Rick

What is your goal? 2WD or 4WD? If it is a street rod, there are Mustang II type IFS setups available, and the rear would be pretty much universal hot rod type stuff. Pick up a copy of Street Rodder magazine, plenty of ads for nice shiny parts to give you ideas. If you want an IFS 4WD setup, a complete frame swap would be a logical first step. Something like a late S-10 chassis and drivetrain.

Thanks, im thinking 2wd, I am more interested in stock or close to stock ride heights, not a fan of the slammed, nose down style although iI can respect the amount of work. Ive looked at MS2 fronts and kits and all are a 4-6 inch drop, was more curious if there were/are links to anyone that has down an ind. front suspension and routes they took and issues encountered; possible alternate options. Part 2 would be rear suspension, has anyone found the happy medium between the slammed air bag style 4link with frame notches and then the ultra high rock crawling triangulated versions or have a link or first hand info. YOutube is a wealth of info but willys seem to remain stock.

My goal would be a comfortable daily driver truck repowered with a 5.3l ls and automatic. Leaf springs are fine, but honestly they are the dinosaurs of the suspension world. Modern suspension is great, but I dont want or need a pro-touring truck. So Im looking to see if anyone has done or figured out that happy middle upgrade. thanks

I wouldnt spend much time or money making the rear end a multilink setup, its just not worth it if you are keeping the original frame and or axle. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a donor vehicle that was equipped with a fuel injected vortec that had something other than leaf spring rear end. The only reason to go thru that hassle would be for an all out drag truck or rock crawler.

Willys made 2wd trucks with a transverse mounted spring. There is even a 2wd front beam axle that can be used to convert 4wd vehicles to 2wd (I have one that I might sell)

I know this is an old post, just curious if you still have the beam axle?

Rick, I'm in the research stage of converting my '59 truck to IFS 2WD. When I bought it there was no front driveshaft, so it's basically already been my 2WD daily driver. And I have a '62 Wagon 4WD for off road use. I've been leaning towards the Helix Mustang II kit. Price and completeness being the reason. What did you end up doing and how do you like it?

Back