Dec 7, 2015
Wi
First Name
Riley
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Im New to the forum, been silently watching and getting ideas for a couple months now, finally decided to tap into the Old Willys Forum resource. I realize some of you may be Debbie downers about this idea but, i have what i believe is a 59 parkway conversion. I've been doing body work and miscellaneous things on it for awhile now. I'm getting closer to deciding what i want to do about the windows though. I purchased it without the windows or the window seals. I realize i could get glass cut and get the seals fairly easily, but i really like the look of the delivery/panel wagons, and was thinking about cutting 1/8 (possibly thinner) sheet of metal and welding it into place over the side window holes. I suppose my question here is, has anybody seen or heard of anyone converting their parkway conversion back to a panel wagon? Any help would be appreciated.

A lot of purists may say hell no but, it's not their truck. It's yours and the only way to make it yours is....personalize the way you want. So, I say, go for it.
But, we are going to need pictures of the progress.

I also have a Parkway that I am attempting to restore back to original. The way I see it is that by converting back to a panel you are actually going back to factory original as they cut in the windows after the wagon was built. This was done either at the factory or the dealership You should have clearance from the inside to get to all of the welds to be able to grind them down.

I personally am a fan of the parkway conversion

Here is an one of may favorites:

saiRup4.png

If it was my Jeep I wouldn't, but that's just my .02.

You can't go wrong either way. If I didn't have two kids that will be riding in the back, I would love a delivery. One of the coolest looking work vehicles ever, in my opinion!

I would put the new metal on the inside and weld the outside- it will be easier to finish that way. You will need to be very careful about too much heat warping everything badly, that is a pretty big problem even for an expert, which you might be.

According to the parts manual, the windows were optional on a Parkway anyway. The dealers could also perform the conversion and were provided a template in the kit for cutting out windows.

Bill

I'm not saying i don't like the parkway look, i was actually really prone to it when i got it. But looking at more and more deliverys, well, they just look down right mean.
TOM- I'm definitely not easily persuaded by others opinions, but that is the way i feel too! I would much rather see someone do their own thing with a vehicle, than going the plain Jane route. ( usually)
DOGE- that was my thoughts also. At first i was thinking about cutting a whole flat panel to fit into the inset around the windows, but now that i think about it cutting the window holes a little cleaner, than cutting sheet metal to fit inside with butt clamps holding into place while i get it welded, might be a better/cleaner/easier option.
I haven't welded enough to trust myself not to warp the panels, but i do have a couple buddies that are iron-workers by trade that i know could do an excellent job for me. BILL NORRIS- i wonder if there is any of those templates left anywhere? Would be very handy in all this. ha I'm guessing they were cut from thin cardboard or something of the sort, so they probably haven't stood the test of time. And thanks everyone, i've been thinking in the same direction about this for so long, i guess i just needed some alternate opinions to jump start the ol brain.

I don't believe you will be able to do a flange as the interior will probably be exposed and you would see the offset. I just butt welded in my first good size body panel. With this thin of a metal you have to do a series of overlapping spot welds. If you move the welds to different sections of the panel and take your time warping should not be an issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
. BILL NORRIS- i wonder if there is any of those templates left anywhere? Would be very handy in all this. ha I'm guessing they were cut from thin cardboard or something of the sort said:
I'll have to see if I can find the service bulletin. I thought I had a copy and it might have the template dimensions.

Bill

I'll have to see if I can find the service bulletin. I thought I had a copy and it might have the template dimensions.

Bill

That would be awesome Bill. I'd love to see a scanned copy if that wasn't too much trouble.

And Riley, it's your Willys. Do whatever you want with it. A saved Willys is better than an unsaved one.

Cheers!

Back