All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Just a FYI for y'all. Hwy 20 westbound is an a$$ kicker for tow vehicles. A LOT of uphill sections. Fortunately there are pull out lanes for faster traffic to go around you. Then once you crest the last incline, it's brake check time until reaching the Hwy 53 intersection whereupon you weary travellers will go left via a roundabout intersection. Then it's 53 to Lower Lake, turn right and 29 onward.

ndnile

Precision Fit
Oct 23, 2017
Northern CA
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Just a FYI for y'all. Hwy 20 westbound is an a$$ kicker for tow vehicles. A LOT of uphill sections. Fortunately there are pull out lanes for faster traffic to go around you. Then once you crest the last incline, it's brake check time until reaching the Hwy 53 intersection whereupon you weary travellers will go left via a roundabout intersection. Then it's 53 to Lower Lake, turn right and 29 onward.
Good info. Do you have a recommendation for folks coming from Sacramento area?

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
Aug 16, 2011
San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
For those driving from or through San Francisco, here's our plan: we will meet up at Mothers Playground in Golden Gate Park, right off of 19th Ave at 6 AM and leave at 6:15 AM to make the 9 AM rendezvous in Hopland.

Mothers Playground (Golden Gate Park) to Hopland route. It's a two hour drive in a modern car to Hopland, so we have a 45 minute buffer. There is a Shell gas station about 500' south of Mothers Playground on 19th Ave at Lincoln.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Well, you could take @Lookout Ranch's route which I believe he posted yesterday. But, I don't know the conditions of Hwy 128. No doubt it will be slower than your proposed route as well Doug.

When I took the stakebed over 20 two months ago, I was down to 35mph and 2nd gear on the steepest section. 115 screaming horsepressure. :D

rocket

Precision Fit
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
We have not nailed down a departure time. Depends on when my partner in crime can get off work. It won’t be before 3pm due to my wife’s work schedule.

Route will be be I80->I5->HWY20 then swing around the south side of the lake to lakeport/Kesleyville.

We will be towing two car trailers. I’ll PM you my contact info and a link to the route.
My wife works in Auburn, But I doubt that she would leave her car in Auburn over the weekend. She will try to get off around 3:00 also. We will most likely take Hwy 20 out of Grass Valley to Clear lake and then around the south side to Lake Port. Now I don't feel so bad about getting ribber over the Trailer Queen.

rocket

Precision Fit
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Joe, put me in the Confirmed fo-sho yes I"m going column.! I pull my 26Ft travel trailer to Fort Bragg via Hwy 20 and Clear Lake at least twice a year. Know the route well.

rocket

Precision Fit
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Fo"Sho' we be coming. Got reservations at the Skylark Shores Motel in Lake Shore for Fri and Sat nights. Let me know when and where to meet you guys for the trip over 175

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Fo"Sho' we be coming. Got reservations at the Skylark Shores Motel in Lake Shore for Fri and Sat nights. Let me know when and where to meet you guys for the trip over 175
Well I'm a bit spun around on times and locals as Doug and I changed our plans. There is a Junk in the Box near the Soda Bay rd and 175 intersection. I'm pretty sure that's where Doug and I agreed to meet. Call the meetup time at 8am. This is predicated on meetup in Hopland at 9am.

Breakfast is up to each person. Rodney, there is a Cafe across Main st from your motel called Renee's. They open at 7am. The drive from there to Jack in the Crack is about 10 mins.

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
If you’re trailering, Hwy 20 from Williams is the fastest and easiest route. There are two or three fairly good grades, but there are passing lanes and it’s a 55 mph road.

My route isn’t fast or trailer friendly, it has a lot of narrow, winding back roads. It’s familiar to me from past motorcycle trips.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
If you’re trailering, Hwy 20 from Williams is the fastest and easiest route. There are two or three fairly good grades, but there are passing lanes and it’s a 55 mph road.

My route isn’t fast or trailer friendly, it has a lot of narrow, winding back roads. It’s familiar to me from past motorcycle trips.
Now I've gotta hit 128 on my FJ1200. The curiosity has got ahold of me.