Dec 6, 2014
United States
First Name
Lynn
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
I am looking for a new, or unused Saturn overdrive unit for my 57 wagon. It needs to be a complete unit with an adapter for a pto winch, and the appropriate linkage. I will have to determine the gear count. Thanks, Lynn

Herm Tilford the overdrive guy.

I just bought my new Saturn from Advance Adapters.

IMG_1076.jpg

most of the suppliers carry them i expect you can go straight to advancedadapters - they had them somewhere around $750 last time i looked. you'll definitely need to know tooth and spline. on the PTO adapter, pricey items added to the overdrive if buying new. not sure everyone carries those.

Saturn had a couple weeks lead time when I inquired with AA... I think they might build them to order. Herm had his A.T.V. units in stock, and I was on a bit of a schedule, so I went with him. I have been quite happy with the A.T.V. Either one will run around $1000 for a new unit with linkage, ect.

I don't think anyone makes new PTO adapters anymore. As far as I know, that would have to be sourced used.

Andy

Saturn had a couple weeks lead time when I inquired with AA... I think they might build them to order. Herm had his A.T.V. units in stock, and I was on a bit of a schedule, so I went with him. I have been quite happy with the A.T.V. Either one will run around $1000 for a new unit with linkage, ect.

I don't think anyone makes new PTO adapters anymore. As far as I know, that would have to be sourced used.

Andy
Andy, thanks for the reply. Our friend Herm certainly seems to have the market cornered for the adapter. I am trying to find one adapter in someone's barn that can be bought. AA said no, so the hunt is still on. Thanks, Lynn

I hate to say this, but the last AA Saturn OD I bought was sub-standard at best. It has been a few years and maybe the quality has improved. The internal parts were soft and not at the proper Rockwell hardness. The planetary pins were exceptionally soft and I had new ones made, hardened and precision ground to specs. The spyder blank and gears were soft as well. The whole unit was a mess after less than 1,000 miles of use. AA was indifferent to the issues, and I even offered to send them the their parts and some of the pins I had made for comparison. I would strongly advise finding a used Warn unit and having herm rebuild it. The new stuff is simply not as good as the original warn units.

KaiserWillys also has replacement Saturn overdrives listed on their webpages.

Andy, thanks for the reply. Our friend Herm certainly seems to have the market cornered for the adapter. I am trying to find one adapter in someone's barn that can be bought. AA said no, so the hunt is still on. Thanks, Lynn

Is there a reason you do not want to deal with Herm? Just asking. I do not know Herm, but I have dealt with him for a lot of years without issues.

I hate to say this, but the last AA Saturn OD I bought was sub-standard at best. It has been a few years and maybe the quality has improved. The internal parts were soft and not at the proper Rockwell hardness. The planetary pins were exceptionally soft and I had new ones made, hardened and precision ground to specs. The spyder blank and gears were soft as well. The whole unit was a mess after less than 1,000 miles of use. AA was indifferent to the issues, and I even offered to send them the their parts and some of the pins I had made for comparison. I would strongly advise finding a used Warn unit and having herm rebuild it. The new stuff is simply not as good as the original warn units.
Thanks for the advice. I will pursue an original Warn.

Willy001, I don't understand what you mean. Can you email me tomorrow and explain? Thanks, Lynn

I you come directly off of a D18 T-case with a PTO you cannot use a Saturn/Warn OD. Some 4 speed transmissions have a port for a PTO. My T98 does and I believe a T18 and a T19 do as well. It is actually a much better way to go for a lot of reasons. I use the adapter on the Warn, but keep the oil levels very high and check the bolts often, There is a lot of leverage on the 4) 3/8" bolts that hold the adapter to the OD aluminum housing. I recommend some type of supporting mount for the PTO.

In the search for a used unit, it would help a lot to know a few things:

Tooth count of your transfer case drive gear
Engine and transmission in your wagon
Front or rear PTO, and your intended use of the PTO

Andy

Herm had PTO adapter for the overdrive three years ago. I bought one. I also have a PTO that comes off the transfer case eliminating the adapter.

I'm not sure what you mean. The standard transfer case PTO does mount without an adapter, but it doesn't allow use of an overdrive. You need an adapter to use both an overdrive and a PTO.

Andy

Back