Overdrive wanted

wunderwillys

Precision Fit
First Name
Scott
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I’ve been on the lookout for a small metal vacuum reservoir canister that looks the part, pics? Cross reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I did mine back in the 70's. I went to a junkyard and found something. Don't remember what car. Maybe Ford Granada

Willy001

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Herm had PTO adapter for the overdrive three years ago. I bought one. I also have a PTO that comes off the transfer case eliminating the adapter.
I know it is late, but this is the PTO that comes off the transfer case.

Attachments

gimbelsjeep

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Sean duffy
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Great topic. I have purchased three warn overdrive units used. Everyone one of them was bad. They all were damaged by water. If you have a engine or transmission or transfer case or overdrive or axles sitting outside in the weather you are doing the wrong thing.

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I know it is late, but this is the PTO that comes off the transfer case.
That is pretty neat. I have seen those for a D20 as well, and that is what this one looks like. Is it a Model STC 2,3 or 5? IIRC the STC's were made for Jeepster Commandos and pick ups with the D20 T-case. The D18's took a PT series PTO. Have you actually had that installed and working on a D18 case? I don't understand exactly how it works. It appears that the straight tooth gear is slid (backward?) to engage the low range gear on the intermediate gear set. In order for it to work the t-case gear must be in neutral. That should mean the large sliding gear must be move back to disengage the front helical drive gear, but not enough to engage the low range gear on the intermediate gear. That would put the power flow from the main drive gear on the transmission, which spins the intermediate gear, but no power flow past the front helical gear in the lower case since it is now just spinning on the main shaft because it is no longer locked to the sliding gear that is splined to the main shaft. If all that is correct, then you would still have the same number of forward speeds as your transmission plus reverse. Since it is only driven off of the low range gear, the speeds would be much slower and the torque multiplication much higher, depending on the size of the gear in the PTO.
Does any of the above make sense? Someone correct me if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Willy001

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
That is pretty neat. I have seen those for a D20 as well, and that is what this one looks like. Is it a Model STC 2,3 or 5? IIRC the STC's were made for Jeepster Commandos and pick ups with the D20 T-case. The D18's took a PT series PTO. Have you actually had that installed and working on a D18 case? I don't understand exactly how it works. It appears that the straight tooth gear is slid (backward?) to engage the low range gear on the intermediate gear set. In order for it to work the t-case gear must be in neutral. That should mean the large sliding gear must be move back to disengage the front helical drive gear, but not enough to engage the low range gear on the intermediate gear. That would put the power flow from the main drive gear on the transmission, which spins the intermediate gear, but no power flow past the front helical gear in the lower case since it is now just spinning on the main shaft because it is no longer locked to the sliding gear that is splined to the main shaft. If all that is correct, then you would still have the same number of forward speeds as your transmission plus reverse. Since it is only driven off of the low range gear, the speeds would be much slower and the torque multiplication much higher, depending on the size of the gear in the PTO.
Does any of the above make sense? Someone correct me if it doesn't.
That is ton of good information! I will look at the tag and post my finding.