Out of my element and off my rocker...

Jeep School

Bigger Hammer
Mar 19, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Howdy from Arizona! I am the proud new owner of a 1959 Willys Wagon. I have always loved the lines on them, but never really went looking for one. Last year, not too far from home, I spotted this old wagon sitting out in a field behind an equally derelict-looking house and barn.
[attachment=1:3vsfgb1a]100_7542.jpg[/attachment:3vsfgb1a]
Finally, after driving by it on many occasions, I left my card on it with the note: "If you ever want to sell this, please call me." Months later (this past Monday) I get a phone call out of the blue...and the ride begins!

Here she is at "the Jeep House" with some of her new sisters:
[attachment=0:3vsfgb1a]100_7556.jpg[/attachment:3vsfgb1a]
I own and operate Barlow Jeep Rentals and Sedona Jeep School, so I know TJ's and JK's inside and out, and have logged thousands of hours in CJ's, YJ's, and "other" brands, too, BUT I am a complete babe in the woods with this Willys, and loving it! I have so many questions, I don't even know where to start, but I will be pestering all of you after I exhaust the "search" function. (Like: Where can I buy a new gas tank? Is there even an oil filter on this thing? Where is the button to roll up the windows? :D )

Great site--very helpful already! Looking forward to hanging out in the tree house here. ;)

Happy trails,

Attachments

papas34

Bigger Hammer
Mar 17, 2010
Ogden, Utah
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Nena

Welcome, I'm new also, but seems like a great forum........ love the wagon... keep us posted! :thumbup:

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Welcome to the forum Nena. Your wagon looks like a nice find. Looking forward to your project updates-

Pete

Eric B

Precision Fit
Nov 27, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
Other
Willys Year:
Other
Nice find!!!!
Welcome to the crazy land of the forum..... Info is out there.... Good luck keep us posted...

Eric

Jeep School

Bigger Hammer
Mar 19, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thanks, all. Not sure where I will go with this one yet. My original thought was that it would be fun to use one of these as a sign for the business--paint it bright yellow, decal it up, and drag it up front. But, from what little I know about these, it appears to be all there and have totally stock body and running gear, though the interior is a mess--non-stock front seats, headliner, and some nice pink shag carpet (really?--yes). The family reports that she was running when they parked her there "6 or 7 years ago", though the tags expired in 1993.

I will post updates, but for now, she's talking to me and it seems like we will be able to work with what's there, leaving her as stock as possible (not sure I can live with the teeny carburetor--that might have to be "non-stock" :D). If everything is too far gone to bring back to good running condition, I will do a mild build with a small V8, lift and hot rod paint job.

rcshook696

Bigger Hammer
Oct 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Welcome aboard Nena. There is a lot of information in the threads or just ask. Someone will be more than willing to answer your questions. We have vendors who give forum members discounts on parts.
Chuck

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Nena, I see you made it... ;) And sure glad you have found yourself a rig. I am already accumulating spare parts for mine, some take offs and some I have picked up off e bay and other places.

Knowing you, you NEED a V8. Especially if you plan on any trips down here...

This is a good and a friendly place, no drama, good folks willing to help. Just let us know what you need and no question is too small or too big...

Jeep School

Bigger Hammer
Mar 19, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thanks, Don! I hope you get brownie points for referring me (or you might want to pretend you don't know me! :D), but I certainly appreciate it--lots of great info here!

All, I started a journal-style blog on my Willys experience, including parts, resources and what I hope will be other useful tidbits I come across. I do hope that if any of you see something I can do better, different, easier, etc. you will comment--that's what it's there for! Check it out: http://59willys.blogspot.com/

Any other blogs/journals out there?

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Jeep School said:
Thanks, Don! I hope you get brownie points for referring me (or you might want to pretend you don't know me! :D), but I certainly appreciate it--lots of great info here!

All, I started a journal-style blog on my Willys experience, including parts, resources and what I hope will be other useful tidbits I come across. I do hope that if any of you see something I can do better, different, easier, etc. you will comment--that's what it's there for! Check it out: http://59willys.blogspot.com/

Any other blogs/journals out there?
Nena, you are too kind...I will shucking various parts that you may need and I have also picked up some spare parts, so let me know if there is something you are looking for along the lines of trim etc...