Original Gauges After Conversion?

supercharged

Gear Grinder
Oct 15, 2009
Texas
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I own a 1950 Willys wagon (4x4-63) that has been converted ti 12 volts.
Which of the original gauges would this have impacted? The speedometer works (sort of) but nothing else does. Is this because of the conversion or is there hope they can be put back into action?

PA310001.jpg

The ampmeter should still work with 12 volts. The other three would need a 12 volt regulator in place of the 6 volt one. I got one off of a '78 dodge van and wired it in. The regulator is the little silver box on the back of the instument cluster.There is also a capacitor inside the dodge cluster.[attachment=0:173i918w]ABCD0001.JPG[/attachment:173i918w]

Attachments

• ABCD0001.JPG
    ABCD0001.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 123
You can also buy a 12v to 6v electronic voltage reducer from Speedway Motors on-line, for your fuel gauge. It is called a Runtz, and is about $19. I used one on my '50 Plymouth, and it works great.

Aren't the temp and oil gauges mechanical? I'm not familiar with your gauges, but I thought they would have a capilary tube and bulb sender on the temp gauge and pressure tube on the oil gauge that runs through the firewall to the engine... Might have a look at the backside of these gauges and see if the tubes are still there, or if they have been cut off. If they are mechanical and the tubes have been cut, the temp gauge will have to be replaced because the bulb has some sort of gas inside that expands with temperature. You can probably find a replacement tube for the oil gauge, it is a simple tube that connects to the oil galley on the block.

The amp gauge won't care if it is 6v or 12v. My Plymouth was 6v positive ground, and is now 12v negative ground. I just reversed the wires on the back of the gauge to correspond with the change in polarity. Been working like new for years like this.

Pete

Attachments

• newwiring8.JPG
    newwiring8.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 113
supercharged said:
I own a 1950 Willys wagon (4x4-63) that has been converted ti 12 volts.
Which of the original gauges would this have impacted? The speedometer works (sort of) but nothing else does. Is this because of the conversion or is there hope they can be put back into action?

PA310001.jpg

Technicaly that picture shows gauges from a 1950 ½ if it is from a Wagon. Anything after March 1950 is considered 50 ½

Back