Opinions on disc brake conversion kit(s)

Old Blue 49 Willys

Knuckle Buster
Jan 9, 2021
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I want to do a disc brake conversion on the front axle of my Willys pick up. The kits vary by manufacturer and the costs vary by about $300. My question is two fold. Has anyone tackled a conversion for the front axle? If so, are you happy with the outcome? Thank you for the feedback. Tom

I have aftermarket wheels on it now. So no, i will not be uaing stock 16s. I currently run 15x12.5 but I am not opposed ro new wheels either. Thanks.

I have aftermarket wheels on it now. So no, i will not be uaing stock 16s. I currently run 15x12.5 but I am not opposed ro new wheels either. Thanks.

I've converted nearly all of my old Jeeps to disc over the years. It's a very worthwhile and dare I say needed upgrade.

I'd say the most common conversion uses a GM style backing plate with a GM rotor, pinching a Jeep caliper. Works great. Parts are plentiful and cheap.

There is a bolt on, all Jeep option. CJ's from 78-79 have a bolt on caliper bracket. This will bolt right up to the earlier axle. It uses a thicker rotor. Parts are pretty rare. But if you managed to stumble upon a set of caliper brackets, the rest is easy.

The latest one I'm trying is the Sidekick conversion from Brennan's Garage. It uses Suzuki parts. I like the kit because it uses a slip on rotor from a Samurai. I have not driven on this set up yet. But hopefully by spring the CJ5 will be done. I have heard many good things about using these parts. Hence, my giving it a try.

I'll likely be doing a disc conversion on my recently acquired wagon as well.

I did the Geo/SuzyQ conversion on my CJ5 and once you have all the parts on hand, it goes pretty quick and easy. At this point I have probably 1000 miles on it and am pleased. My choice was directed in large part by wanting to stay with the factory 16” rims. But, remember, it was originally designed for a lower weight Geo/Suz which a CJ is but a truck or wagon is not, especially with a load. So I don’t plan on that for my wagon until I hear great feedback on someone who has done it on a heavier vehicle. Slow daily stops would probably would be fine, but emergency or loaded stop is another thing. I learned about the important difference between slow daily stops vs emergency with Wilbur.

Last edited:
There is a bolt on, all Jeep option. CJ's from 78-79 have a bolt on caliper bracket. This will bolt right up to the earlier axle. It uses a thicker rotor. Parts are pretty rare. But if you managed to stumble upon a set of caliper brackets, the rest is easy.

No question the best option.

I did the conversion on my 57' PU. It's a standard GM caliper. Bought the kit from Morris. As others have said, the stock wheels won't clear the caliper.

P1050723.JPG

I did the conversion on my 57' PU. It's a standard GM caliper. Bought the kit from Morris. As others have said, the stock wheels won't clear the caliper.

That is why I like the 78-79 CJ discs. Stock wheels will work.

Just curious I see it says the Geo conversion can use the 4 door vented rotors and calipers. Has anyone tried that setup?

I did the GM backing plate and caliper squeezing a Jeep rotor with a hydroboost operated from the stock pedal setup.

We have the u-pull-it wrecking yards here and I got it all on a 50% off brake day.Even after buying the two Jeep rotors new, it was ridiculously cheap.

Amazing difference in stopping power and no pulling from side to side....highly recommend stepping up to the disc brakes.

Back