Nugilo's '61 Sedan Delivery Build.

Re: Nugilo's 62 Sedan Delivery Build (Resto)

I was looking back through the pictures of this build and forgot to mention that I do intend to do a frame off resto on this. The pictures show us building up the body on the old rusted undercarraige, but we intend to pull the body once we get it all straightened out. It was pretty clear that the combination of rust and the few body mounts still doing their job was all that was holding the body together. Pulling the body right away, we were afraid that it might just crumble into a useless pile. It sure has helped getting the donor vehicle. Not only are we using some pieces off of it, it is serving as a great guide for how things are supposed to look cause mine was so far gone.

On another note. I have had a heck of a time trying to figure out exactly what this wagon really is. Originally when I bought it, it was titled as a 63. Through early research, the best I could figure was that it was a 61 based on the vin #. Accurate info on these things is nearly impossible to find from 62 to 65 as Willy's was going under and pretty much gave up on keeping records. Talking with Willys America, we figured that the vin actually should make it a 62 4x2. Here's where things got really confusing to me. At this point I thought that based on the year being 62, I should have the lower profile ribbed roof and flat top rear wheel openings. But I didn't, mine has round wheelopenings and the high smooth roof that then told me that maybe it was an older body put on a 62 frame. But this didn't really make sense either because it had the correct dash layout, front end and single piece windshield for a 62. To complicate matters, it currently has floor shifters but their are remnants of a column shift (4x2), it has push button interior door handles (dropped for normal handles I think very early in production), it has a front axle and transfer case (obviously making it 4x4) and even more odd...it has a 226 which the vin says it should have, but my engine has "supersonic" written on it which is the identical kaiser car version of the 226 (which I pretty sure they never put in the wagons and trucks). Oh, and, there isn't a single identifying number that I can find anywhere on the body or frame. So I have a complete 4x4 sedan delivery with all correct Willy's parts but seemingly put together in some sort of Frakenstein way. I read somewhere that because of the disjointed condition of the Willys company that this SD actually could have been built this way as it was not unheard of for the company to just throw what ever inventoried parts they happened to have togehter just to get vehicles out the door in those last few years.

Willys America seemed to think there might be another story to it. Turns out that the biggest mysteries, the roofline and wheel openenings could have been correct since all sedan deliveries for all years were made this way. This also explained how the dash, windshield and front end would have been right. All the other oddities seem to be the result , most likely, of makeshift repairs and "upgrades" over the years. One other odditiy that we discovered is that mine has interior flat top wheelwells like a traveler would have. It is not inconceivable that this was infact a Traveler that was special ordered to be windowless which was possible. Even though I can't fully decipher what this really should be, I am going restore it back to the way I got it and just revel in it's quirkiness.

I wish my wagons could talk, or find someone who used to own one of them, like the original owner who drove them off the lot. That would be a very informative and interesting conversation.

Nugilo said:
It was $850, so kind of more than I was hoping, but I might actually use the front doors as well as the wood strips and rear seats and a bunch of other misc. items. Hope to sell off some of the left over bits. Contact me if you need something. It has a 4cyl 134 with a missing head so I suppose it is junk (lots of the engine accessories are there though and look good), but drivetrain looks ok and there are good front fenders, hood, and grill. Tailgate is fair. It has some good glass
Nugilo I'm interested in the center bar for the windshield as well as some sheetmetal around the right drip rail. Thanks Chuck

Any progress Nick? Curious how your Traveler is coming along...

Pete

With all the post I have responded to, I can not believe I missed this excellent build post...it must have been when I wasn't feeling well. Post those pictures...all that rust reminds me and others what we have either gone thru or look forward in doing. KEEP WILLYS WAGON ALIVE....and welcome to the forum!

Well, I'm back. Bet you all thought I had bailed on the resto...Not. Just been busy and progress has been a little spotty over the summer. I think we have finally turned a corner on this project though and are starting to head downhill. The donor vehicle ended up being a godsend, as the fabricator working on my truck had no prior knowledge of Willys wagons, and because of the seriously troubled state of mine, it was going to be a real challenge to put it back together correctly. The donor vehicle, as well as sacrificing some key parts, has been an invaluable guide to how things should fit together and look. My fabricator has been amazing, literally hand crafting half of the necessary body parts based only on visual inspection of the donor vehicle. Another clear indication that I did the right thing by taking it to a pro. Below are the remains of the donor vehicle (the doors have since been acquired by my Sedan Delivery). I will still be using a few drivetrain parts off of it. If anyone needs anything that is still there, let me know.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The end result of all the amazing fabrication work is that I now have an incredibly solid and amazingly factory looking body. Once again as solid as the day it left the assembly line. With just some minor final fab work to do, including rounding off the wheelwells, we are about to start the bodywork fininshing. As a side note; for those of you contemplating a resto, you cannot get quarter panels with rounded wheel openings anymore. I struggled with should I invest in having them modified or just go with flat top openings. I decided ultimately, that since all Sedan Deliveries and Travelers (which mine is possibly) had the rouned openings, I had to do it. I am so glad I went this way as I know that the truck will look as it should. Since it is now one solid, complete body, we were able to finally remove it from the frame. If we had attempted this originally, I'm sure the body would have collapsed into a pile of rust dust.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Removing the body has finally allowed us to get going on the frame and engine. Since the following pictures, the engine/ tranny/ transfer case have been pulled and the frame has been painted. It will require only some new brake and fuel lines run and should be good to go. I am going to reuse my springs as they are actually pretty decent. I may replace them in the future. Axles were already rebuilt by me early in my ownership so they are good. The engins is just going to get a refurb, not complete overhaul. It ran pretty darn well prior to resto, so for now, we are just going to put on some new gaskets, wires, plugs, water pump, etc. and paint it. It should turn out pretty clean and be a good runner. Just struggling with color choices on the engine/ tranny. Any insight on what they should be?

attachment.php

Now I have to really start thinking of a color for this rig as we are getting close to spraying. Was thinking I wanted either a Tan, Burgundy or Blue. The problem though, is that if I want to try to stay original-ish, this thing started life with Transport Yellow. I like the idea of staying with an original color, but that color may be a bit too bright for my liking. Also have to figure out interior finishes such as vinyl color for seats and what to do for inside panels. Still so much to do, but I'm really excited about the progress and looking forward to the finished product. I will try to keep this better updated as we proceed from here. If anyone is in the Ann Arbor/ Ypsi area and wants to take a look, let me know.

Last edited:

Looks awesome Nick... :cheers:

Pete

The Willys Wagon Lost It's Top...perfect for a chicken coop perhaps...all that shinny metal looks real good...I vote for the stock colors! Good Luck!!!!

You gave me some ideas! Thanks and can't wait to see what color you paint your engine and tranny!

Well, thought I would drop another update. Things are really starting to look good as far as progress and sort of glimpsing the light at the end of the tunnel. There is still lots of body work to be done, i.e. filler, sanding, grinding, stripping, but I am starting to get excited for how this thing is going to turn out. I am just going to jump in below with some random pictures and descriptions of whats been going on.

Body is really coming along. The fabrication of the wheelarches is complete and they look perfect. Once again, my fabricator, Rich, deserves a huge "Attaboy". His work has been absolutely key to this wagon being revived. They body work is finally moving to the finishing stage. There will be lots of filling and smoothing needed to make it all look as good as possible. We stripped all the wiring from the body and got all the gauges and switches out of the dash. Most of that stuff will have to be replaced or repaired. I plan on putting in a complete new wiring harness.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still struggling with a color choice for this wagon. I am leaning towards staying with the original Transport Yellow for authenticity. Part of me however, wants to see a really cool color on this thing like a burgundy or, my leading non-original color, Jeep Sunburst Orange.

Sunburst Orange on Wrangler

attachment.php

Either way, I will be painting the roof and the wheels and the upper rear quarter panel off-white and then will have some custom lettering added on the upper rear quarter with my company name in classic, shadowed, hand-lettering. The interior is probably going to have a new headliner installed and wood plywood cut and finished for interior side panels. I have a full set of original wood that has to be re-finished. Dash and floor will be body color I guess and I have'nt decided on fabric for seats; maybe a dark brown with off-white piping. Any suggestions or comments on paint colors would be great since I really am nervous about this decision. If anyone has photoshop mastery, I would love to see some mockups of some possible colors. What do you guys think?

One cool thing that I have figured out is that this is looking more and more like a Travelar. There are 4 slightly mangled areas at the back roof area with re-inforcing plates inside, that correspond exactly with where a roof mounted spare tire rack would have been on a Travelar. I am now on the hunt for one of these racks or at least some good pictures of it or dimensions so we could maybe build one. This would be a very unique feature to re-install on this SD.

Engine and chassis work is coming along nicely. The frame has been stripped and painted. It is a flat black and I wasn't sure if I should keep it flat or go glossy, but I like the way it looks right now, so it may stay flat. We ran all new brake and fuel lines and got the engine and tranny mounted with new mounts. The gas tank is in place, but permanent mounting straps still have to be fabricated. I had already rebuilt and painted the axles, so they are set and ready to go (except I will probably need to mix up a little knuckle pudding to top off the front). Brakes were also rebuilt prior to now but I didn't install e-brake parts, so that will have to be done yet. I have decent springs on this, but I just today ordered new leaves and bushings for all corners from kaiser willys so that I have a nice, smooth, level ride.

attachment.php

The Engine is really looking good. For ease of cleaning, I decided on black for the block, head, many accessories, and tranny, with high temp silver on manifolds, then silver on transfer case. The Supersonic script on the head will be painted body color. I wanted it all to be really utiltarian and easy to keep clean. It is a little disheveled looking right now without the body on the frame since many of the accessories are just temporarily mounted. All put together, it is looking pretty good and really looks promising when all put together on the frame. I'm on the hunt for an original oil-bath air-cleaner if anyone has one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We were all so excited, we got the chassis rigged up for a little Beverly Hillbillies style roadtesting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note the milkcrate driver's seat. Engine started up and ran great. Sounded really good to. Had my old, crappy, cobbled together exhaust hooked up temporarily but I will have all new pipes bent for it soon. Only got her into second due to safety issues :) Still haven't really tested out the transfer case. That will come soon. Seems to not be locked up or anything so I'm crossing my fingers. Once we get the hubs rebuilt and I have a new rear driveshaft made and hook up front driveshaft, then we can give it a proper test.

Still such a long ways to go. There are so many little details that need to be worked out, it is a little over-whelming. I am loving the project though and know that this thing is going to be something special when done.

I removed a few rough but maybe usable parts off of my donor vehicle that may be of some use to others. I put a few picks below. Let me know if you are interested in anything you see or maybe other parts off the donor as there is still a lot left; including a very clean hood, good fenders, decent grill, rough tailgate, some drivetrain etc.

Under Dash Speaker. I may actually try to use this. Kind of cool. Came out of donor 54 wagon. Does anyone know if this was an option of some sort or maybe factory installed.

attachment.php

Gas can holder. I think I will be using this also. I think it would look cool. Probably mount it on driver's side just in front of door.

attachment.php

And a 4cyl air cleaner

attachment.php

That's it for now. I'll get back to you soon with more progress hopefully.

Nick

Last edited:

I am following this thread with great interest. I have a '51 Sedan Delivery as well and am facing much floor replacement too. However, my cargo area is fairly solid but the passenger section is Swiss Cheese. I was lucky enough to find a guy, also in Pennsylvania, who gave up on restoring the wagon he found in the woods buried up to the axles in mud and muck. I bought all his flooring and supports (new) and hope to get the newly installed welder working on it soon.

If you happen to have bumper supports and bumpers, please let me know. My rebuild wont be a restoration, so "excellent condition" is not really a necessity.

Great thread, and am glued to my 'puter to see updates.

51Willys009.jpg

I will check my donor vehicle to see what I have. I might have other parts too, soo just let me know. Looks like you have a pretty good starting point to work with though. Are you going to retain the "Hot Rod" look or go back more towards original? I will be following your progress.

nugilo said:
I will check my donor vehicle to see what I have. I might have other parts too, soo just let me know. Looks like you have a pretty good starting point to work with though. Are you going to retain the "Hot Rod" look or go back more towards original? I will be following your progress.
I must admit (sheepishly amongst a herd of resto projects...) that I will be doing what I will refer to as a rat rod of sorts. This one was nearly completed as a hot rod, readied for paint, then abruptly halted and it sat for a decade. I found a new motor and now I must repair what that motor will live in. Please dont hold it against me. If I showed you the pics of when I got it, you wouldnt argue with me. Also, I live where every other garage houses a magazine quality street rod, and there is a dragstrip literally 1.5 miles from my home. I have been bitten by the street rod bug and am inextricably infected. I hope you understand. My challenge is to get it roadworthy before I die!

Nothing wrong at all with keeping it a street rod. It is about what you want and what fits for your vehicle. My resto actually isn't going towards original because of purest standards; it just happened to have original running gear and handn't been modified by previous owners. I like modded just as much as original. I'm sure it will look great.

Ok everyone, going to update this build thread with the body work....and paint finally going on.

Here is the body after last sanding, finally ready for paint.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All the interior was sprayed and cleared first.

attachment.php

The lighting is a bit odd in this shot...not quite that orange.

Next, the top is sprayed and cleared off white.

attachment.php

Then onto the rest of the exterior.

attachment.php

The main body looks great. The painter was really good. The transition between the body color and off white is almost perfect. The gloss will come out even more after a little wet sanding and buffing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am so excited about how it is looking. The original Transport yellow looks fantastic and this is going to be a real head turner. Can't wait to get it all put together. The mechanicals of the chassis and engine are getting a lat thorough going through and the body and frame are going to be re-united soon. Once I get the lettering on, it is going to look almost exactly as the computer rendered image below showed (thanks again Dan). This picture was absolutely the thing I needed to go with this Transport yeloow two tone paint job.

attachment.php

If anyone else would like to have Dan do the same for you, I know he would be happy to talk. Let me know and I can put you in touch with him. I did pay him, but it was incredibly reasonable considering the amazing resource all of the images he gave me were in deciding on the final color. What do you guys think?

I am hoping to get it all re-assembled and on the road by early spring. Can't wait to drive it.

Last edited:

Looks totally awesome Nick! You've come a long, long way from the wagon pictured in your first post of this thread... Two thumbs up! :thumbupleft: :thumbupleft:

Can't wait to see it all come together, you are in the home stretch-

Pete

totally cool I like that color combo that is going to be sweet :cheers:

Back