May 3, 2015
Truckee, CA
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Hello, I've got a 51 Willys 4 Wheel Drive Station Wagon. Glad to be a part of a forum dedicated to these awesome machines! My Willys is operating but not fully functions at this point by any means and I'll be looking for advice. Looking forward to starting this project and you all being a part of it. Thank you!

Welcome from Colorado, Eric. We all like to see pictures your 'new' Willys Wagon. We also like to hear what plans you have for your Wagon, How you're going to use it, How you're going to restore it (Original Stock, or upgraded/modifiied to current standards, etc. Pivnic

Hello, I've got a 51 Willys 4 Wheel Drive Station Wagon. Glad to be a part of a forum dedicated to these awesome machines! My Willys is operating but not fully functions at this point by any means and I'll be looking for advice. Looking forward to starting this project and you all being a part of it. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum Eric.

Pete

Thanks Pivnic! My plan is to keep everything that is stock as stock. I want it to be and look as original as possible except where safety is of particular concern. There was some incomplete work done on the power train with the previous owner. My plan is to get it from its current status (read below) to reliable as a daily driver to my office in Tahoe City during the summer and keep it covered and protected in the winter.

Current condition: a) body is in great condition, small amount of rust on rear fenders, minor dents in the bumpers and one in the hood. b) interior, seals and glass poor condition but not major rust through. c) brakes are excellent, previous owner installed power steering from a Buick (not sure how I feel about it honestly). d) "upgrades" to powertrain are less than desirable... previous owner dropped a Ford 302 in it that is grossly underpowered due to a sticky valve at the least, matched it with a top loader and 20 transfer case, leaky main seal, synchros are bad in 3rd, linkage and shifter are so far in to your right leg you can't hardly touch the gas in reverse.

All of this being said I like where I'm starting from because the body and frame are beautiful. The rest could be simple or Pandora's box! I am definitely open to advice and success stories that could help me through this, in particular the powertrain challenges in front of me. Anyone have advice on a simple (minimal fabrication) alternative to the Ford 302 and top loader tranny that are currently in it to give me the proper room for my right leg and gas pedal? Thanks again!!! Will get some pics attached soon!

Back