Jan 5, 2020
Debary FL
First Name
PETER
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
I have posted this before but finally finished the 1955 CJ3B diesel install. Weekends without being able to go anywhere helped finish the project.

I installed a new 2.4 Turbo Kubota, reman tranny and transfer case from Kaiser Willys and upgraded the Willys with front disc brakes and power steering. The steering I used a Volvo electric power steering pump to keep from having to fabricate brackets for a belt driven pump.

The Willys was once a cargo loader with a conveyor on the right rear. It still has the original body.
IMG_5303.jpgIMG_5306.jpgIMG_5308.jpgIMG_5314.jpgIMG_5315.jpgIMG_5316.jpgIMG_5318.jpgIMG_5320.jpg

Last edited:
Huh, that's pretty cool. I think 4cyl turbo diesels are perfect for Jeeps.

You ever watch Dirt Every Day on YouTube? There was a episode where they ran a diesel CJ underwater.

Joe

Huh, that's pretty cool. I think 4cyl turbo diesels are perfect for Jeeps.

You ever watch Dirt Every Day on YouTube? There was a episode where they ran a diesel CJ underwater.

Joe
Yes I have. I am not willing to do that.

Gorgeous! How do you like the performance with the diesel?
I was very sceptical that the 2.4 would perform well but due to the size and weight being so close to the OE motor I went with it. I am very happy with the power it has. I makes the old F Head seem like a boat anchor. I would recommend it to anyone thinking about it. The most common swap is the 2.2 non turbo out of old reefer units and could not answer how that would do. I would suggest paying the money and getting the 2.4 turbo. The 2.2 reefer motor has to many things that have to be changed and then adding a turbo you would end up with a used motor that you would have a lot of money into.

Holy Cow that's a clean install. Good job!
Thank you. There is more work than meets the eye. The installs require you to cut or pound in the firewall to make room but I could not do it. Doing that was not an option to me. I moved the engine forward 2" so I could make it fit causing a lot of work on driveshafts, clutch linkage and a lot of other little things but was well worth not hacking the firewall. I had to source a kubota exhaust manifold that would move the turbo forward and oil lines to feed the turbo in its new location. It all worked out perfect in the end.

Beautiful work, Procco, please let us know if you ever decide to sell ! (Not sure I could afford it tho.) I'm thinking about dropping a 4-cyl turbo Cummins into the '60 Pickup that I have. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on all of the work that would be required to upgrade all of the other components however. We'll see.

Peter welcome to the forum. Very nice Jeep and excellent work putting the turbo diesel in it. I installed a 6.9 Navistar in a Jeep Gladiator, and have a 6.2 Military Hummer diesel in a 55 Olds. Along with a 3500 Ram 12 Valve 6 speed 4x4. Some of the car guys that know me just call me Diesel.

Back