New to the FC family

I have restored two FC’s. They had much better bodies then yours. I mean bodies with no rust and like it came from the factory. Excellent paint. Had to rebuild all the running gear. I have over 40K in it. If i had this i would part it out. FC parts are very hard to get and there is a demand. It is my opinion that your body can not be restored. It would take a large body shop hundreds of hours to get it right. FC’s never reach highway speed. Max speed is 45 mph and with overdrive 55 mph. At 55 they become unstable and are really unsafe to drive. I hope i did not throw cold water on your project but in my opinion it is too rough.
Hogwash on the 170 at speed stability! I can run mine at 60 all day long with no issues. Everything has been rebuilt and properly installed/adjusted with stock suspension, steering and brakes. I did add a Wilwood dual master cylinder for redundancy. I am also running IROK radial mudders. With the BW overdrive the 226 just purrs along and the miles/smiles pass by effortlessly.

That could be the the case of the 170 i have only driven 150’s. They have a shorter wheel base and many are the narrow track. The narrow track 150 becomes hard to drive at 45 mph. I know that a 150 is difficult to stop. I added power brakes and it still requires a long distance to stop at 45 mph. At 60 mph i would keep a good distance behind.

That could be the the case of the 170 i have only driven 150’s. They have a shorter wheel base and many are the narrow track. The narrow track 150 becomes hard to drive at 45 mph. I know that a 150 is difficult to stop. I added power brakes and it still requires a long distance to stop at 45 mph. At 60 mph i would keep a good distance behind.
Hogwash on the 170 at speed stability! I can run mine at 60 all day long with no issues. Everything has been rebuilt and properly installed/adjusted with stock suspension, steering and brakes. I did add a Wilwood dual master cylinder for redundancy. I am also running IROK radial mudders. With the BW overdrive the 226 just purrs along and the miles/smiles pass by effortlessly.
The wide track and narrow track 15Os are different beasts. I drove a Ford V8 powered wide track and it wasn't any worse than say, a clapped out DJ at 60 mph. ;). And as far as the bodies being too far gone, I was at the Las Vegas Big Boys Toys convention this weekend selling airplanes for a friend. Our hotel was hosting a lowrider meet for 1930's to 1950's era cars. These cars were STUNNING, and many were in far worse shape at the start than the FC above. (Any ever see a slammed 1950 Chevy 3100, open top ice cream truck?). It's one or both of two things. Time. Money. Talked to one gent, covered head to toe in prison tats, bought his dream car in highschool (32 Chevy) and his parents kept it safe while he did time. That car kept him grounded when he got out of the gangbanging life, and was the nucleus of his own wife and kids lives. No money. Lots of time. Pretty pretty car. I understand that its a crap ton of time. I drilled Thousands of holes in sheet aluminum, and pounded THOUSANDS of rivets in those holes until a pile of aluminum sheet began to look like an airplane. And I did that a few times. Would it have been faster, and maybe smarter to buy an airplane. Yep. But it wouldn't have moulded my life and given me the joy of climbing in an airplane (and jeep) that -- I -- built.
Sure is possible to restore that FC!

If you are doing your own bodywork, or if you have a nice budget, that body is very restorable. It is tough to find a rust free FC. I have seen much worse than yours successfully restored. I bought my cab/chassis out of Lake Tahoe and had it shipped to me. It save me a lot of time because it was virtually rust free. I did have to reproduce the bed, but it came out great.

Attachments

• FC Rear View.jpeg
    FC Rear View.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • FC-170 BSA 650 RR.pdf
    309.8 KB · Views: 15
Seebee, the truck looks great but your pictures will not down load. Only pictures i get is the rear view

Rumor is a 57 Chevy windshield fits?!
Truck or car?

I just happen to have a super rough 57 Suburban (more like why have you kept this for 28 years), it's in deep sleep but if you need some measurements, I'm sure the windshield is toast but it was still in it.

If it was a car, can't help there.

Truck or car?

I just happen to have a super rough 57 Suburban (more like why have you kept this for 28 years), it's in deep sleep but if you need some measurements, I'm sure the windshield is toast but it was still in it.

If it was a car, can't help there.
The rumor I heard was the car. Seems odd, but worth checking out. Maybe someone has a glass interchange manual? Pilkington was a great source for several years. Not sure what's going on there?

Seebee, the truck looks great but your pictures will not down load. Only pictures i get is the rear view
Here's another one heading to OH this year. I had to go pay homage to Vintage Don. Had a great time and took @Tilatobawillys for a ride one evening. 500 miles was a little too far to just drive the FC on it's own. I didn't want that much wear and tear. Unfortunately, it has become a bit of a trailer queen. I hope to use it much more when I retire next year!
FC heading to Willys Reunion Aurora OH 2021.jpeg

I don`t mind to do the bodywork on the cab, the bed need to be change, the frame is good too. Most likely i will probably part out the drive train.

it`s good to know about the speed limit, so i should save the cab and put on modern frame, drivetrain in order to be safe on the road?

The rumor I heard was the car. Seems odd, but worth checking out. Maybe someone has a glass interchange manual? Pilkington was a great source for several years. Not sure what's going on there?
Ok, no rush then, will take some measurements when I get it uncovered.

thank you for the article.

My frame is looking good at first glance but will know more when i lift the cab and bed but the issue with Quebec legislation on vintage car is way more restrictive then the States. I can`t weld or cut frame and other specs.
Make it clean....what they don't know won't hurt them! ;)

Make it clean....what they don't know won't hurt them! ;)
Also, if you were building a Stakebed or flatbed, you could leave the TJ a stock length. That would give you a wheel base between the FC 150 and the FC 170. It would probably be a good compromise!

An FC-160 with TJ guts? I like it. Off to www.copart.com
If I already didn't have a nice bed, that is exactly what I'd do. TJ's are a Great mix of new school reliability and old school engine choices. Lotsa good suspension choices too. The jeep guys who built it for the Easter Safari said the stock six fit perfectly....

Here's another one heading to OH this year. I had to go pay homage to Vintage Don. Had a great time and took @Tilatobawillys for a ride one evening. 500 miles was a little too far to just drive the FC on it's own. I didn't want that much wear and tear. Unfortunately, it has become a bit of a trailer queen. I hope to use it much more when I retire next year!
View attachment 111388

What a ride it was, thank you again! I can say that that the truck rode much smoother than expected and seemed to have plenty of power if you have ever driven Jeeps before. It also had no issues braking or stopping. Never been in a 150 or driven one before so I can’t attest to how they ride.

I’d like to know what the Easter Safari guys did with the steering mod on the TJ? Not a lot of details in the video. I used the TJ swap for my Wagon and it was a good choice. So, using it on my newly acquired FC 150 seems a good fit also.

Back