New Pickup bed - American made (Pic)

Snake Doctor

Gear Grinder
Apr 21, 2010
Central Arkansas
Willys Model
Willys Year:
This is a bed for a 42 Chevrolet pickup. Dimensionally, it is supposed to be the exact same measurements as the Willys bed. The only differences I can see are the wheel cut outs on both sides (these would be covered by the fenders) and there is no middle side stake. I have a WO tailgate so ......... These are made in Oklahoma and are about 1/3 the price of the Taiwanese made Willys beds. What do you think? Will it work?
I think it will.

219nt6s.jpg

Funny thing is that I have been looking at those in the last month as they looked so similar via photos only though. I'd love to know how one would work out. Can always just buy the center stake support to match too.

So from this angle It looks like it just might work, only 1 thing that I can see... on my old truck (1960) there are stake pockets in the middle of the box rails. Not sure if someone put them there or not. When I get to touch up the old bed I was planning on getting replacement stake pockets from a 1947-1953 AD Chevy pickup, probably from Jim Carter truck parts or one of the many others. I think it is awesome that the bed is made over here. Do they sell bed parts too??? Who is the manufacturer anyways???

mikec4193 said:
So from this angle It looks like it just might work, only 1 thing that I can see... on my old truck (1960) there are stake pockets in the middle of the box rails. Not sure if someone put them there or not. When I get to touch up the old bed I was planning on getting replacement stake pockets from a 1947-1953 AD Chevy pickup, probably from Jim Carter truck parts or one of the many others. I think it is awesome that the bed is made over here. Do they sell bed parts too??? Who is the manufacturer anyways???

Mikec4193 - here is the link. Yes they sell bed parts as well as complete beds. Right now they are offering free shipping and 10% off. I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can get the exact bed dimensions. As far as the middle side stake pockets, I planned on buying them from someone like Kaiser Willys and adding them.

http://www.mar-k.com/

The dimensions they do give on their site it looks like the length of the beds offered would not be the right size though.
Short Stepside: Length of bed wood 76 7/8". Inside width of bed 50”.
Long Stepside: Length of bed wood 85 13/16”. Inside width of bed 50”.
1 Ton Stepside: Length of bed wood 107”. Inside width of bed 50”.
Panel Truck or Canopy Express 1/2 Ton: Length of bed wood is 82". Has wheel tubs inside the bed.

From what I have read the Willys bed was designed around being able to carry a 8x4 sheet of ply in the bottom which would be 96"x48". My bed is not an original so can't check to know for sure if this is right. Can anyone confirm the internal size of a Willy bed please?

Keep us informed. I'm in need of a bed also but figured the $3K plus shipping was out of the question. Thanks for the info.

Tom

If your still looking, I just measured my 52 truck box. It is 48 1/2" across inside and 80 1/4" long inside.

Thanks for posting the internal size.
So not as long as I thought but doesn't match up with any of their sizes without shortening. Wouldn't be too bad to do that I think.

With the tailgate down and the chains attached its become the 96" length of the plywood sheet.

If I could downsize photos I would post pics of the one I built. I bought metal and had a sheet metal shop bend it for me. I used my old bed for the measurements and the pockets that I refurbished. I didn't keep track of how much I spent but it was under 800 and I welded it all together myself. It's pretty darn close to original and most people wouldn't be able to tell. I can email pics if anyone is interested. Tom

Tom,
What did you do for the rolled edges when you built yours? Most of the bends are simple, but rolling the top rail on the sides could prove to be a challenge.

I sent MAR-K an email as they have an email "suggestion box" for parts they should make. I just noted that they're only a few minor adjustments from nearly having a perfect Willys Pickup bed reproduction. I'm interested to see what they have to say.

"We received your online survey comparing the 40 Chevy beds we make to the Willys beds. We would be very interested in looking at some good pictures (different angles ) of your Willys bed if you could email them to us. This would give us a better idea of differences and similarities and we will go from there.
Thank you,
MAR-K Quality Parts"

Headway already :)

Lewies53 said:
Tom,
What did you do for the rolled edges when you built yours? Most of the bends are simple, but rolling the top rail on the sides could prove to be a challenge.

I used pipe of the correct size welded on and ground smooth for the top rail. I also used pipe for the front panel. The end is hidden so it dosen't matter. The end of the top rail can be sliced and bent on the end to look the same as stock. I used part of my old top rail to repair the tailgate. It's the same roll/bend. The stock floor and bedside are one piece with a seam down the middle of the floor but I did it with the sides separate from the floor and still have a seam in the middle of the floor for the stock look.

Would someone be kind enough to measure the gap between the front of the bed and the back of the cab, both at the top rail and the bed wall please?

My bed is in too bad of shape to give you any decent dimensions. You will have to keep us in the loop with MAR-K. Good luck.

Will do. I verified they recieved my email with initial information/pictures of the Willy pickup bed so they can note construction differences between the two. I'll let you know if they are decide this is something they wish to persue.

Gojeep said:
Would someone be kind enough to measure the gap between the front of the bed and the back of the cab, both at the top rail and the bed wall please?

Here's how my '47 looks. The bed has never been off the truck.

The end of the top rail and bed wall are flush, but the top rail sticks out more so it aligns to the cab where the body curves, making the gap larger.

[attachment=0:2cx47o3i]Truck bed final (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2cx47o3i]

Attachments

• Truck bed final (Medium).jpg
    Truck bed final (Medium).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 97
Brians47 said:
Gojeep said:

Here's how my '47 looks. The bed has never been off the truck.

The end of the top rail and bed wall are flush, but the top rail sticks out more so it aligns to the cab where the body curves, making the gap larger.

[attachment=0:3lz8bspc]Truck bed final (Medium).jpg[/attachment:3lz8bspc]

That is really great. Thank you for taking the time to do that for me. :)
I am just working out frame measurements this week before I pull apart the second Willys frame that will be used on my build. As I am lengthening the cab, wanted to know where everything needed to be. Thinking of even using the side panels from a Willys trailer as can get them brand new, but are only 6' long. Though it might be something a bit unique. :)

Trailer-Rear_View.jpg

Back