New guy with an old wagon

roundss

Sharpest Tool
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Hey everyone,
My name is Steve. I live in Western Washington. I have a 52 Willys wagon that needs a little tlc. I just got it off the trailer today and I haven't had much time to mess around with it yet. With the exception of a sbc it's pretty stock and pretty rough. I got it as a father/son project. Hopefully the son part of it will enjoy it as much as I will.

I'll say "sorry" now for stupid questions.

Thanks
Steve

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
roundss said:
Hey everyone,
My name is Steve. I live in Western Washington. I have a 52 Willys wagon that needs a little tlc. I just got it off the trailer today and I haven't had much time to mess around with it yet. With the exception of a sbc it's pretty stock and pretty rough. I got it as a father/son project. Hopefully the son part of it will enjoy it as much as I will.

I'll say "sorry" now for stupid questions.

Thanks
Steve
welcome steve-

there's no such thing as a stupid question... I've been working on a father son project for about nine years. Lots of really great memories...

Pete

Pete

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Welcome aboard Steve and Son....stupid question are mandatory here....I'm the Vice President of the club. My first build was a '51 2 wheel drive, it was sweet...Bill Elliot Red, AC,AT, SBC, Electric Windows, Mustang II Front, all new glass & rubber...drove like a go-cart...My son and I drove it to Minnesota when he was 16...one time he was at a stop light, put it in neutral, rev'd it up, threw it into low - result: broke left motor mount, fan into radiator, and twisted the drive shaft in two pieces...he did managed to squeal the tires I was told later. I sold this wagon and have missed it, recently saw it sold in Daytona, FL....I'm starting on a '62 4x4 and I have never messed with a 4x4 before, so I have plenty of dumb questions...I look forward in seeing your progress.......good luck!

pavel6

Well Oiled
First Name
Pavel
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Hello Steve and younger male member of the family - hope you have a great time working on the Willys! My son is in his mid 20s now - many great memories come from our projects together. School projects, model railroading, electronics, house repairs, remote location plumbing/wiring... and of course, feasting! It's all great clean family fun. If you have a daugther (or might have in future), don't leave her out! My daughter can lap valves, assemble engines and can install a mean metal roof (if you will allow me to brag a bit). Right now, she is attempting to train me in Dreamweaver/web design - poor girl!

Cheers

Pavel

roundss

Sharpest Tool
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to diving into it. My son and I are really excited to dive into it....... every sunday is the plan. My daughter.........not so much. She's a real girlie girl and not into it but I hope she warms up to it. The good news is she likes Jeeps. Prolly started from the Barbi Jeep she had as a small child.
My wife on the other hand just wants to know when she can get in it without having to get a tetanus shot, lol.

I hope to get some pictures up in the next few days. Right now I'm trying to research as much as I can to get a clear path (that I will go away from and back to a thousand times). Then the questions will start.

Thanks
Steve

Eric B

Precision Fit
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
Other
Willys Year:
Other
Steve,
I know the feeling, I got mine off the trailer about 2 weeks ago, then up on the jack stands a few days later, I have just had a chance to mill thru all the misc. parts that were inside it and rip out the nasty house carpet the previous owner put down on the floors. My plan is to start pulling the electrical out noting what it is and where it went, cuz I will just do a new wiring harness, then start pulling the body off completely to work on the frame and drive line first.... I have to work this saturday, but hopefully I'll get some garage time on Sunday to blow off some steam from this week at work.

Good luck.
Glad to know there are others out there in the same position as me right now.... Just starting off with a new project. As far as father son mine is only 1 right now, daughter is 4 so she will get to help with the little nuts/bolts and tools. She might get the important color choice down the road though who knows.

Eric