New Guy Insurance Question

number6jr

Gear Grinder
Jun 29, 2010
East of Flint, MI
Willys Model
Willys Year:
How do you have your Willy's insured? I first tried Hagerty (the ads on the BarrettJackson auction coverage worked), but they insist on no daily driving, no towing, no hauling, and no off-road. Grundy, American Collectors, Leland West ended up with the same stipulations. I finally just added it as another vehicle on my regular policy with addititional equipment coverage. Of course this wasn't the low cost option and still isn't covered for off-road, but at least it lets me drive it to work more than "occasionally".

Is this how most of you have yours insured, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
John

My short term intentions are to put onto regular policy. I have an insurance card at home for collector vehicles that will cover for actual cost of vehicle after restored, I don't know the name now, but I got it from one of our local adjusters that came thru the shop to inspect another vehicle.

Will dig around for it and put the info I have up for ya.

I've used State Farm for many years and have been very happy. No restrictions that I know of. Just took my '67 Fairlane on a 1,000 mile trip. Used the Willys in 4th of July parade and insured it for 2 days.

My polocies are based on stated value. That means you set replacement value of vehicle and premium is based on that. When I park the cars for the winter, all I pay is the comprehensive which covers it for theft or damage during storage. When I want to drive the car, a simple call puts on full coverage so I'm covered on the highway.

I had one accident years ago and they took care of the repairs with no problem and no increase in my premium.

Good Luck,
Old Willy

I also have stated value insurance through State Farm. I have had it on my '54 Willys since 1995. No problems, no restrictions, and it's not expensive. The only thing you have to do is provide a reasonable value of your vehicle, to your State Farm agent, so they can create a quote for you.

All good info above. I will add this, since I have significant and persistent experience with this aspect of insurance: by legal and insurance definitions, "offroad" means blasting cross-country. "On-road" means any public thoroughfare, unpaved or not. So, IF you go 4-wheeling, you should be covered by most major insurance carriers if you can provide a road number or name in the event of an accident.

As for "daily driver"--is this the only vehicle you have on the policy? If you have two or more vehicles, you only need one designated as your "daily driver".

Back