Sharpest Tool
Aug 10, 2010
Manchester, CT
First Name
Lee
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
Got ambitious this weekend and decided 'Ol Nelson needed some new interior panels, as what was remaining was water stained/buckled/rotted. Here's a pic of the "better" door panel

011.jpg

So, having seen on Ebay complete sets of panels pre-made, for about $100 I thought, "Why can't I do this? It can't be too hard, can it?" Truth be told, it's not. I went to my local Home Depot, bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/8" tempored hardboard, had the aisle attendent make two verticle cuts of 27 3/4" and I was in business. Each 27 3/4" section will provide material for one door panel and one middle section panel, with the remaining section having enough for the two rear panels. All for the princely sum of $7.93, and a couple of hours of "sweat equity". I also had purchased a bag of 100 stainless finish washers and a box of stainless #10 x 3/4" screws for about $20. I'll eventually either paint or upholster the panels, but for right now it's a much needed improvement. The only tools I used were a jig saw, my drill press, a sanding block with some coarse paper, and some Forstner bits for making the holes

Wallah!! new door panels

doorpnl2.jpg

doorpnl1.jpg

I've got one center panel left to make, and I'll give a play-by-play for the Week-End update section

Later...

Lee

Good job, Lee. You could go into business making those. I guess a Forstner bit is the one with different steps?

Nicely done and an improvement for your Willys....are you taking orders?

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The posting isn't for soliciting a product or to be in competition with the gent over at Ebay. I just wanted to show how easy it is to make theses panels and that anyone can do it for just a few bucks

Mike, a Forstner bit is used by wood craftsmen (of which I'm not !!) for making nice clean holes in wood. I happened upon them during my Pinewood derby racing days. They should not be confused with a "step drill". Here is what they look like

makingapanel001.jpg

Later...

Lee

Back