Knuckle Buster
Oct 17, 2020
Kauai
First Name
Will
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
Aloha from the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Sold my Jeepster Commando earlier in the year after deciding I’d like a flat fender instead. Loved my Commando, but it felt “big” compared to my other vehicles, so I settled on a 3b. Fortunately we only have a few areas on our island where you can drive 55mph, which makes an early flat fender usable here. I ended up purchasing a mostly original older restored example that I’m working on swapping a few things out on before shipping it. Looking forward to getting back behind that all too familiar wheel and looking over the top of that flat hood.

Kauai3b

Knuckle Buster
Oct 17, 2020
Kauai
First Name
Will
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
Thanks for the welcome!

I think I found some wheels which was the last thing I wanted to swap out before shipping my 3b. I intend to run 7.50-16 Power King Bias for extra ground clearance and a little lower RPM at top speed. Fortunately the 3b has overdrive as well. I don’t do any off roading, but our island floods a lot and it’s common to have debris cover the roads after storms so the taller tires will help without having to add a lift kit.

Already swapped the late model buckets for a set of reproduction frames. Will do new seat covers and cushions after I get it over. Also need to swap the front bumper. It’s a later wider model and doesn’t look right, but the 3b has an original Koenig winch with a modern style roller guide built into the bumper so it’s going to take some work to get a proper bumper fitted. I’m hoping to fabricate a much cleaner less modern looking guide system and hopefully integrate a front hitch receiver into the bumper for small boat launching and retrieval.

Here’s a photo of my Commando a late ‘71 and one of the last WK’s. It was all original except for Safari top, clear markers and 16” Gladiator wheels with Coker Super Traxions and I drove it daily and it was a working rig hauling boats, making dump runs, etc.. I actually ended up buying a spare Dauntless Odd Fire just because it was on island. It came out of a VW thing that had been built to run Baja and was fully rebuilt with Offy intake and Holley 4bbl. Never had to swap into my Jeepster as it’s original motor still ran strong. Decided I would keep it incase I picked up a flat fender with a tired motor. Turns out the 3b I bought has a fully rebuilt motor so I won’t “need” to swap it in, but if there ever comes a time when we have 45 days straight of rain again, it might just find it’s way under the 3b’s high hood.

D3469A08-D706-4DFB-B21A-541AA8E38423.jpeg
7DD239FA-AC35-4876-B292-8EC1E6D659D9.jpeg

Last edited: