Sep 13, 2020
Arizona
First Name
Brenden
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
<Shy Hi wave?> NAW!

I'm right smack in the BIG RED SPOT portion of Arizona where 120+ is anything but hearsay and where the comics showing people complaining about Hell being chilly was born.

Now mostly an IH guy (in the below images the orange dump truck is a 77 Loadstar I'm loaning to a friend). Especially the Scouts since Jeep (or what they call "Jeep") nowadays are a a penny a couple-dozen. It's like calling the H2s & H3s Humvee's when only the OEM military versions truly deserve the title while the H1 is the AMC of Jeeps but remain Humvee's but just with more comforts. I own a slightly rough but fully functional 62 S80 with the original 152ci 4-banger while I have a 6x6 amalgamation project gaining traction that will retain an unmolested drivetrain-wise save for an extra tandem shaft driven axle while keeping it's own IH 304...albeit very slowly. IF there's any interest to see the ideas...just look up PROJECT TRMNATR 6X6" over at BinderPlanet. Something unique. However I have no qualms whatsoever with the REAL Jeeps (WILLYS) or even the AMC era versions until that company effectively evaporated. WILLYS pulled it off first. IH entry helped usher 4x4s into mainstream popularity. Ford's BRONCO was just an IH copycat late-comer & don't get me started on GM's BLAZER. But WILLYS will have my undying respect. After all...it was a pivotal asset in helping to win a World War.

HOWEVER! The JEEP never really caught my eye like the IH S80 even though raw utilitarianism has it's appeal. But I'd figured that if I ever ended up with a JEEP it would have been one of the 60s 4x4 Gladiators...step side. A certain 90s movie where one won a tug of war with a certain big worm is what did it. I think it had to do with that sloped prow of a nose. The straight side beds are fine but lack that missing bit of character. But a recent acquisition threatens the livelihood of my IH 6x6 project had I not firmly decided on priorities...though I will admit it will receive attention here & there.

Behold, which as far as I can tell is from the years 50-52 when going by the grille design since it has 5 horizontal bars. The original power plant is long gone which would have been the Hurricane was replaced with an SBC which is also missing. The front-most cross-member has been cut out & moved forward about 9in. I will have to double check on the truck as in the images I'm only really seeing the passenger exhaust down pipe...so this either had an SBC that was then pulled or it was halted in mid-conversion. The transmission is a 4sp MUNCIE which now that I have pictures of the casting & input shaft I can try to narrow down exactly which one. It's paired to what is likely the original Dana (Spicer) 18 T-case. On the back of that opposite the Muncie is an overdrive. A SATURN I think since the operating linkage comes out the top front right corner over the T-case instead of out the back like in the WARN. Definitely a want-to-have (wish I had one for my IH S80) since the rear end is a Timken & likely a 5.38 if not higher or lower.

I work for the County with the Parks Dept & last year a camper came in with the WILLYS & eventually ended up putting it in our open storage. Then at some stage the shop mechanic (aforementioned friend) found out the guy was just going to take it into the desert & leave it. Well he snatched it up & took it to his place a couple months ago...where it still resides. But he has other things going on and as much as he would like to fix it up...he said he's been wanting one for the last 30 years...he knows he would drop his other planned project (a Thunder-Bronc...an 80s T-bird have a running-rolling 80s-early 90s Bronco body + motor under it). I'd also voiced about not minding having this thing even though I need extra projects like a hole in the head on my wages. One morning after getting to work he up and says I can have it if I wanted. I even double checked a couple days later just on the off chance I misheard or somehow dreamed it. NOPE! I heard right. As soon as I get the chance I'll be flat-towing it the 10 miles home once I get some rims//tires that keep air for the front. Have a tow bar that will get chain lashed to the bumper. If my S80 was running I'd tow it with it just for the grins of "JEEP RECOVERY VEHICLE". But I'd be doing it a dis-service as I don't want to include a WILLY'S name as part of that unless it's crossed out.

Once home and I do get around to cleaning up the Muncie, I have an 80% long block SBC...missing the intake manifold & carb & exhaust manifolds...that came as a loose freebie extra with a rolling 60% IH S800 I picked up back in March for my 6X project. I think it's a 305 but won't know for sure until I check the cylinder bores (heads are off). If everything with it looks good...it will get a rebuild before getting dropped in after the truck is made otherwise serviceable. I'm likely to keep the rusty patina if possible partially due to the fact I like the look & for financial reasons. Too bad it wasn't set up to accept a 232 or 258. Seems something of a sacrilege that someone set it up for an SBC...bad enough in the IH's when people do that. But I'm only doing it because that's what it's been altered to accept & I just happen to have a motor. The shell will get cleaned up & still be used though not all the time. Gives a bit of a "complete" look.

The hood hinges are ripped loose on the driver's side & the passenger is unbolted. Easy enough to fix. The old plates on it are California & the lack of any SERIOUS rust other than the monobrow looks to be limited to just a heavy patina w/o a heavy inspection. The seat is an older 1/3-2/3. The doors must be opened from the inside via the push button. Fortunately the passenger vent window (holding on by the top pivot) moves so one can reach inside.

A fixer upper but one to look forward to.
IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0373.jpgIMG_0374.jpgIMG_0375.jpgIMG_0376.jpgIMG_0377.jpgIMG_0378.jpgIMG_0379.jpgIMG_0380.jpgIMG_0381.jpg

timd32

Bigger Hammer
All-Star
Jan 4, 2020
NJ
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Cool project, good luck getting it sorted out. Welcome to the forum.

RuralTowner

Knuckle Buster
Sep 13, 2020
Arizona
First Name
Brenden
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
The headliner is even intact. Through the rust-brow it looks like a bird died at about the middle...between the sheet metal & liner.
Also...though I recall noticing it before & most definitely this go around...there is a neighbor barely 1/4 miles up the road from where this one is parked that has a mid-later 50s (3 horizontal bar grille) one of these. Restored from the looks of it. It's kept under a car port. Looks like a cream colored cab with either red or brown bed//running boards. May just hit him up on any inevitable advice. But just in case the guy is on here...I'll give my location here. This is in BOUSE. Think he would notice if I did a switch-aroo though?

bird

Sharpest Tool
Aug 29, 2019
san diego california
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Ah yes! Another truck being saved. Congratulations and thanks for sharing both stories and pictures.If you decide to lighten the load and aren't going to keep the Shell please let me know. I've been looking for just such a thing and I'm in San Diego so I could get it to me I'm sure. Even more pictures of it or a manufacturers build info on it would be great. It would go well on The OLD 48!