Germany
First Name
BM
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
Hello everyone,

I recently inherited a Willys pickup and have been looking for information on this car.
I haven't really found anything looking like it and wanted to know if anyone here knows more about this car.
I was told it was built during the 1960s but was wondering whether this is correct, since it looks very similar to the 1940s
military vehicles, the tires are (obviously) not original and I apologize for the interior photo to be blurry
would love to hear from you if you know anything about it

thanks for you help!

bloodymary666IMG_3762.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2906.JPG
    IMG_2906.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2903.JPG
    IMG_2903.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 104

Brent

Bigger Hammer
May 23, 2017
Iva, South Carolina
First Name
Brent
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Good morning,
Nice looking Jeep. The speedo looks late 50’s early 60’s. Are there any data plates you could get a close up photo of? It says Jeep on the side. Very different from any I’ve seen.
Where in Germany are you?
Welcome to the forum!
Brent

Steve49841

Sharpest Tool
Nov 28, 2016
Gwinn Michigan
First Name
Steve
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I think what you have is a 60's Jeep CJ5 with some sort of custom cab. Whoever constructed the cab did very nice metal fabrication work.

bloodymary666

Gear Grinder
Jun 16, 2019
Germany
First Name
BM
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
Good morning,
Nice looking Jeep. The speedo looks late 50’s early 60’s. Are there any data plates you could get a close up photo of? It says Jeep on the side. Very different from any I’ve seen.
Where in Germany are you?
Welcome to the forum!
Brent

thanks for the quick reply.
I'm from Cologne
I was looking for some date plates but didn't really find any in the engine compartment or interior only information plates.
the only thing I found were information plates in the interior about the gearbox and its off road functions written in german.
I found out that the car was in Switzerland at least twice since the information plates say the date and the capital Bern on them, which is probably where they were installed. The second time it was in Switzerland was in 1993, because there's a vignette on the windshield.
Sadly there aren't any papers, keys or registration plates that could provide information.

Attachments

• IMG_2903.JPG
    IMG_2903.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 27

bloodymary666

Gear Grinder
Jun 16, 2019
Germany
First Name
BM
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
I think what you have is a 60's Jeep CJ5 with some sort of custom cab. Whoever constructed the cab did very nice metal fabrication work.

thanks for the quick reply.

so it is possible that it was built in the 60s and customized later?
I wasn't sure because to me it looked like it was built this way in the first place and I have never seen a jeep like this

Steve49841

Sharpest Tool
Nov 28, 2016
Gwinn Michigan
First Name
Steve
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
According to Wiki Jeep CJ 5's were built from 1954 to 1983 so pinpointing when this was done could be difficult. The compound curves and the way the cab is blended into the body is sophisticated metal work suggesting a manufacturing facility. The Jeep company had factories around the world that developed products for local markets maybe that's what we are looking at here. I wonder if you might dig around for an enthusiast group in Germany for additional information. If it's a Jeep product there might be others out there. If it's a one off done by an individual the builder had major skills.

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
The lines of the cab roof are suggestive of something from the 40s and don’t really look “Jeep” or “1960.” But that doesn’t really mean anything.

Someone with bodywork experience could probably look up close and quickly tell if it was a factory build.

bloodymary666

Gear Grinder
Jun 16, 2019
Germany
First Name
BM
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
According to Wiki Jeep CJ 5's were built from 1954 to 1983 so pinpointing when this was done could be difficult. The compound curves and the way the cab is blended into the body is sophisticated metal work suggesting a manufacturing facility. The Jeep company had factories around the world that developed products for local markets maybe that's what we are looking at here. I wonder if you might dig around for an enthusiast group in Germany for additional information. If it's a Jeep product there might be others out there. If it's a one off done by an individual the builder had major skills.

thanks for sharing.
I think that could make sense, that it was developed for a local market. I don't know much about it but was told the car was used by a farmer many years ago which could be possible since you can drive it in any weather thanks to the cabin and put things in the back to transport.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Your Jeep is a modified 4 cyl. CJ5 built between 1957 and 1964. Parking lights, shifters, pedals and speedometer give it away. A picture of the front spring shackles would narrow the year down some. Probably modified in Switzerland when new by a talented bodyshop. Finding an old registration would probably tie in a VIN and year. Probably impossible though. I'd look more for a number plate. There must be one.
diggerG (Greg)
(edit)
I just looked at the picture carefully, and the front spring shackles as pictured were started about 1959 or 60.

Last edited:

bloodymary666

Gear Grinder
Jun 16, 2019
Germany
First Name
BM
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
Your Jeep is a modified 4 cyl. CJ5 built between 1957 and 1964. Probably modified in Switzerland by a talented bodyshop. Finding an old registration would probably tie in a VIN and year. Probably impossible though. I'd look more for a number plate. There must be one.
diggerG (Greg)

thanks for your help!

I'll look for a number next time I visit the car

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
Aug 16, 2011
San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
Wilkommen im Forum. As mentioned above, Dave Eilers at www.ewillys.com is your guy. I’ve seen pictures of customized CJ2As with similarly shaped hardtops after WWII in Switzerland. The vignette and French/German data plates confirm its likely Swiss (rather than German) origin.

Keep us posted what you learn.

Cologne is a great town. I studied at the university there for a year during college, but like many college students around the world, didn’t study very much.

Tralehead

Well Oiled
All-Star
Aug 29, 2018
Silverado, CA
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Welcome , hope you find out more and post it up. A picture or two of the engine would be great!
One thing I noticed was a battery cover on the cowl which I always thought was indicative of a M38A-1 (?) and there's the snorkel space on the right side of the hood. Looking forward to finding out some history and watching what you do with your project.

ndnile

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 23, 2017
Northern CA
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
I agree that the “Jeep” part is mostly CJ5, but the hood is from an M38A1 (door for snorkel). Neat rig.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I agree that the “Jeep” part is mostly CJ5, but the hood is from an M38A1 (door for snorkel). Neat rig.

All early CJ5's had the snorkel hood, and the battery cover was also on CJ5's, the lid just was not cut out for civvies. Seen plenty of them.
diggerG

elminero67

Precision Fit
Jun 1, 2011
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I’ve seen several homemade cabs on CJ’s from modified trucks, but this one looks much more professionally executed than the ones I’ve seen here in the western United States. If it was done as an aftermarket modification, it was well done.

ndnile

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 23, 2017
Northern CA
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
All early CJ5's had the snorkel hood, and the battery cover was also on CJ5's, the lid just was not cut out for civvies. Seen plenty of them.
diggerG
I got schooled. Thanks digger.