Oct 10, 2019
Bainbridge Island WA
First Name
William
Willys Model
  1. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Good morning FC addicts. I have a narrow track '57 FC150 and looking to get a wider front axle. 57" the same as wagoneer axles? I might convert to link, but I'd rather get it on the road soon. Does anyone know the load rating of FC front leaf springs or what other leaf springs I could use?

I have an FC150 wide for parts which you could buy, but the problem you will have is the frame is totally different from your FC narrow. Much better and heavier with completely different springs and hangers. Your FC 150 is based on the CJ5.
diggerG

I was looking for outboard hangers and going to box the frame. What parts do you have for sale?

I would not cut a good frame for hangers. I will look my 2 frames over to see how good they are.
Are you planning to leave your narrow rear axle in, with the wider front axle?
diggerG

I am considering putting '59 or later Front axle on mine ['57] to cure the narrow issue. I'll be watching this thread. Am I going to have to do a whole new frame? I am wanting to make my more roadworthy than off-road [infrequent] so is there tall gears for the axles available OR should I just upgrade the whole drive train with a newer Jeep drivetrain. Love to hear from a knowledgable person whose been thru this before. Thanks!

I am considering putting '59 or later Front axle on mine ['57] to cure the narrow issue. I'll be watching this thread. Am I going to have to do a whole new frame? I am wanting to make my more roadworthy than off-road [infrequent] so is there tall gears for the axles available OR should I just upgrade the whole drive train with a newer Jeep drivetrain. Love to hear from a knowledgeable person whose been thru this before. Thanks!

Everyone has their opinion on this. As far as I've seen the LJ Wrangler (or modifying the frame of a TJ) is the best fit. Other vehicles that fit the wheelbase, are too wide. Those that fit the track, don't fit the wheelbase. Others don't fit onto the frame as well.

Thank you. I'll start looking into a donor/salvage LJ.

I mentioned this to William, I have a complete FC150 wide that is a much heavier duty frame and axles and springs than the FC150 narrow. This is not the FC170 either.
diggerG

That sounds great but I'd hate to strip what is probably a nice example for someone to do mine. Besides, its condition sounds a lil' above my budget

Also with the 44's front and rear there are more gear ratios available. You would however be saddled with the 4F engine's 72 horsepower.
diggerG

I'll sell the entire frame and axles for $1G you pay to move it. My initial inspection on the frame passed muster. There are guys that haul trailers from here to there very often.
diggerG

Back