Sep 1, 2016
Kennewick, Washington
First Name
Butch
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
In 1977 my first child was born and I had to sell my Willys Wagon to get a more sensible and family friendly vehicle. Been regretting that ever since. :(

Yesterday I hauled home this 1962 Willys Truck :) :)
From what I've read, this must be a late '62 because it has the Tornado ohc engine. Also has the PTO option and a pto wench on the front end. It has been sitting a year or more but started right up when we poured a little gas in the 4 barrel carb.

New tires (current ones are rags) then a fuel pump and I should be able to drive it around a bit.
Willys1962b.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Butch. Your Willys Pickup looks like it's in Great Shape, no or very little rust, the truck looks like it's got a few modifications. Trucker Stacks! What are your plans for it? Post more pictures when you get a chance. Pivnic

Welcome to the Forum, Butch. Your Willys Pickup looks like it's in Great Shape, no or very little rust, the truck looks like it's got a few modifications. Trucker Stacks! What are your plans for it? Post more pictures when you get a chance. Pivnic

Previous owner says those 'trucker stacks' are Corvette mufflers. The exhaust is jury rigged under the truck with a home make T and some flex pipe. If it works, I won't change it because the stack look is pretty unusual.

Today I washed off years of grease and oil from the bottom of the engine and the transmission area then unloaded. Truck is currently up on blocks and all the wheels are off. Still looking for some used tires to get me going.

Tomorrow I'll pull the fuel pump and see what I can do about it. Will also change the oil and filter and see what I can do about the leaky radiator valve.

My 'on blocks' system is appropriate for a chainsaw artist.
I'm told this bumper is from a '75 Vega. VERY SOLID!
WillysOnBlocks.JPG

Closer view of my PTO winch.
WillysPTOWench.JPG

Plenty of shifting levers in here.
WillysShiftLevers.JPG

Butch-

The member map is certainly imperfect, and only shows folks who have been online in the last 24 hours or so... Showing all the members at once (over 6000...) crashes the map.
Your pin may not be in the correct location on the map, as it is placed based on your IP address geo location which may be off in space. Your pin will be the yellow pin with the "H" in the pin head. It will be in the center of the map when you first open the map. You can drag the pin to the correct location on the map, and it should stay wherever you put it.

Pete

Welcome from SW Washington. I also have a 62 truck with PTO. It appears your PTO may have a rear output also. Anything connected to it?

Welcome from SW Washington. I also have a 62 truck with PTO. It appears your PTO may have a rear output also. Anything connected to it?

Greetings from the dry side :) Yes, my truck has a rear pto but does not have anything connected. I would like to extend it out to the bumper for possible future use. I grew up on a farm where we used the the tractor to drive the hammer mill and a circular sawmill. It would be great to have that option on my truck!

My rear pto.
HhohdPImjUu1hPjeDokMrNyIr94aFuj1TVaL8-am3dzX0zDWNm5LRfmuiFm2Aw3WdsOjvKfdgUMcGA71siJ50-XiShAbAHEwSaKV1yVyX-tHZiIInXOsfKbQJNhgn4BhmZq-x5Qz8zsZ4XfSUETB2X6fAnb0ps2EftBP8snUmnsaZ56tlEtGvGOU6XW6kTkE0OYYiEYi9IMAY9Y1VyZ3dJw50F0h2oJHp_HguO2KPV0ykTY0o8jv7TNdXwmrxH704CFGIE_eUaegdZr3SlSRL5xRG9DcqkJosKiPck5fgalKs0WA1SnlzjDYz9UPbw7hTTeImhTuYN5ZgdaQhBX20YDCsZJvdp40lnu7CkEXwVUAktf2RR-nktWFP8QzXF1Lwnb30MTY772U1HAEKG96UfTtxTZcshnLCwvcGgdV3p0NnmdHSvcXzSQV-oNGQ_krtm-RNltf7XH2s2npysTvA94eL9qKPGozSsGPfTCE4xiq5aHVvPSe3MxspV5FJqKz68L017Z2c57bloTBNQ8oPa24srnoKSsMAYcbgFniuEWXZYNR4UPZrlUj88UEhYKM3YlQJ429NXb0umjxbz2f-oPd_AP-s2249KI5C4q0SKiKcsgK=w908-h681-no

My 'on blocks' system is appropriate for a chainsaw artist.
I'm told this bumper is from a '75 Vega. VERY SOLID!
View attachment 30886

My favorite way to support the front end during major projects is to use a 4' length of 2" pipe and run it under the frame just forward of the front crossmember, at the base of the grill support. Put a jack stand at either end of the pipe. This allows access to and removal of all major body, engine, suspension, wheel, and axle components without ever having to move your jacks.

Last edited:
Butch
Welcome to the forum.You got yourself a unique truck!
Interesting dashboard and gauges. Somebody altered something it looks like.
The bumper has more steel in it that an entire Vega, Came off some kind of a pickup truck I believe.

diggerG

I'd be driving this truck around today if parts had been available locally.

Progress update.

Parts ordered or purchased:
Brake cylinders, brake shoes, fuel pump rebuild kit, carburetor rebuild kit, oil filter, oil, gear lube, and LOTS of WD-40.

Tasks complete:
Old oil and grease removed, carburetor removed, fuel pump removed, front and rear differentials opened, cleaned/flushed, closed and filled with new lube, front wheel cylinders installed, brake and drum parts cleaned, front drums turned.

Used tires have been sourced but not yet 'acquired'. (may buy new ones and be done with it)
Shop manual for Tornado engine has been ordered.

Yet to do:
Receive and install all of the above parts and tires, check cooling system for leaks, clean out fuel tank and blow out fuel lines, repair ignition switch, add trailer hitch and tow bar, grease all fittings (there are lots of them), aaaand test drive

My truck came with 2 gas can mounts laying in the truck bed. I've been thinking of installing them but haven't decided 'where' to mount them. What do you think of the position in this photo? Mount 1 or both?

7cf823a1cfe703d5c632d45dd3c2f588.jpg

Butch
The bumper has more steel in it that an entire Vega, Came off some kind of a pickup truck I believe.

diggerG

Hadn't paid much attention to the bumper until yesterday when I noticed there wasn't a single speck of rust on it. I tested it with a magnet and determined the bumper is aluminum. Thick tough aluminum.

Back