My 1962 Willys Wagon

Do they even make 6 volt CB Radios? Or was Radio even invented when 6 volts was common in Cars
That's too close to home. I saved a hole in my GPW dash to put in a power receptacle for accessories. Doh, what accessory (phone charger, spot light, etc) is even available in 6 volt?! I also saved an old CB radio for it. I guess I could put a 6 to 12V inverter in it.

That's too close to home. I saved a hole in my GPW dash to put in a power receptacle for accessories. Doh, what accessory (phone charger, spot light, etc) is even available in 6 volt?! I also saved an old CB radio for it. I guess I could put a 6 to 12V inverter in it.
Six volt will charge a cell phone just fine. THe cig lighter in my 6V Willys charges mine just fine.

I got my side window seal today. It fit perfectly. It took me about 20 minutes to install the windows and the inside trim. I didn’t even need my wife’s assistance with this one.

I still have some wiring to do and I have to replace a rear wheel cylinder. This is the second one on the same side that started leaking. What surprises me is they were both name brand from Rockauto.

I’ve got to make some seatbelts brackets that mount to the floor. I’m going to start building the center console hopefully I can get it done in the next couple weeks.

Having the Willys at home I’ve been working on it a couple hours each evening and have been able to work most of the weekends on it.

I’m planning on getting it registered and insured next week.

Keith, looking forward to seeing some pics of your center console. I'm guessing you're not running the stock front bench seats(?) What kind of seat belts are you using? Would like to see pics of those as well.

FWIW, on the '60 I have some sort of buckets the P.O. installed and I put standard lap belts in attached to the seat base frame. On my '62 the P.O. had already installed buckets with those bigass Caturpillur lap belts, the ones with giant lever operated buckles that accept shoulder harnesses. Those are shackled to big eye bolts bolted to the floor. They are 3" wide belts with leather pads under the buckles and used to be called "racing belts". On the "to do" list is to replace them with 3 point style like @mickeykelley and @Pete did. There's a bg ol' thread about the install somewhere.

Keith, looking forward to seeing some pics of your center console. I'm guessing you're not running the stock front bench seats(?) What kind of seat belts are you using? Would like to see pics of those as well.

FWIW, on the '60 I have some sort of buckets the P.O. installed and I put standard lap belts in attached to the seat base frame. On my '62 the P.O. had already installed buckets with those bigass Caturpillur lap belts, the ones with giant lever operated buckles that accept shoulder harnesses. Those are shackled to big eye bolts bolted to the floor. They are 3" wide belts with leather pads under the buckles and used to be called "racing belts". On the "to do" list is to replace them with 3 point style like @mickeykelley and @Pete did. There's a bg ol' thread about the install somewhere.
I used bucket seats out of our old 2003 PT Cruiser. The passenger seat folds forward but doesn’t tumble. They are comfortable and are heated.

I bought three point belts from Summit. If I remember right they are called Retro Belts.

I am going to use a piece of angle iron bolted through the floor for the buckle side of the belts. I still need to cut them out and drill them. I cut the back of the “B” pillar and welded in a 6” piece of 1/2”x2” piece of flat steel that the upper belt attachment bolts to.

The console is going to be interesting to build. I have to have two slots for my drift brakes that use some type of boot to seal them.

Of course I’m building in cup holders along with USB ports. I’m also trying to figure out a way to build in a gun safe.

Keith

I finished the side panels and got them screwed in. I installed a cigarette lighter plug along with a usb plug in the left rear panel. I use a cpap that will plug into there.

16C3B2AF-6661-46FF-83E4-21194B6263E8.jpeg

I also started working on my center console. I got the main box built to seal the floor over my two hand brakes. The rest of the box will bolt to this section.

128D2E29-9ACD-4CFA-A367-1C8F9A153971.jpeg

326BA260-E5AA-4293-A955-811C36BE2BEB.jpeg

417CF6E7-B3CC-42D7-A118-91B3AA9705EB.jpeg

632FF1F3-923E-4F57-AD20-9F39896B7D1C.jpeg

I got my parking brakes done. The hand brakes are setup with the left one for the front brakes and the right one for the rear brakes.

I found that they don’t have enough volume to hold on their own. But when you step on the brakes and pull the brake handles they hold the pressure.

They came with the rods attached to use them as parking brakes. I made the bracket so that I can engage them both.

Keith

EEAD66AE-FEDC-4330-929A-93CFA5C0EE61.jpeg
AAC1213A-9064-48FB-B03D-75165CF7F3F8.jpeg

I finished the center mounts for the seatbelts yesterday. The seats originally had the latch side attached to the seat base. The aftermarket latch side was much longer so I cut angle iron to bolt to the floor. I used three 1/2” grade 8 bolts to mount it to the floor with large washers on the bottom side. I don’t think they will ever pull through the floor.

6A5C0DF3-4822-42C1-AB35-EFDE6F5B897C.jpeg
C25188C0-1C43-49F6-87AA-C5E4AC27A8F7.jpeg
1916B94B-B401-48E1-83CA-475162E86A55.jpeg
index.php

66B30C03-E216-4AD2-B4AE-4D7CF665C170.jpeg

Attachments

• 134FB669-B85C-4830-8629-3BE55EC74C25.jpeg
    134FB669-B85C-4830-8629-3BE55EC74C25.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 28312AE7-1C61-4128-9750-2E06A18E9D1C.jpeg
    28312AE7-1C61-4128-9750-2E06A18E9D1C.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 5
My first real drive in the Willys. I just took it across town to deliver some things to our daughter.

It drives pretty good. I will need to do some tuning on it because it didn’t want to idle at stop signs. But the positive thing was that it didn’t over heat. The electric fan kicked on just as I pulled back into my driveway.

Willys Wagon first drive.

Keith

Congrats!
Makes me wanna drive mine... for about a minute:p (I need to get a few things squared away)
So you'll be making the OWF RFTH?

I am planning on it. Hopefully I can get some time to really drive it before then.
I hope you do!

Right now I'm struggling with the mid windows on my '60 Wagon. P.O. had put them in backwards, and didn't use the fuzzy sliding channel. Thought it would be a slam dunk to swap them around until I discovered the fixed had been glued in. Broke it trying to get it out, so now I'm "gun shy" about the other side. How was the quality/price in the rubber parts from Summit and why did you go that route instead of the usual Willys parts vendors?

BTW; is that the Willys "Peacock Blue"? A few folks have said that's what my '63 is but it only shows as a >'62 color so guessing the DMV gave me a year.

Last but not least; care to elaborate on your 3 point seat belt install? Any pics or pointers in getting the upper belt anchor in would be appreciated!

I hope you do!

Right now I'm struggling with the mid windows on my '60 Wagon. P.O. had put them in backwards, and didn't use the fuzzy sliding channel. Thought it would be a slam dunk to swap them around until I discovered the fixed had been glued in. Broke it trying to get it out, so now I'm "gun shy" about the other side. How was the quality/price in the rubber parts from Summit and why did you go that route instead of the usual Willys parts vendors?

BTW; is that the Willys "Peacock Blue"? A few folks have said that's what my '63 is but it only shows as a >'62 color so guessing the DMV gave me a year.

Last but not least; care to elaborate on your 3 point seat belt install? Any pics or pointers in getting the upper belt anchor in would be appreciated!
I went with Summit because the normal vendors didn’t have any in stock and they said they had been back ordered single last year.

I did some research and found that it sold them. I think the fit is pretty good. Theirs are made by Metro Sponge Supersoft. Not sure who makes the other ones.

The rear side ones I ordered from JeepsterMan were loose in a box so I don’t know who manufactured them. The back glass ones I got from them don’t fit the best. I think they are too long.

My blue paint is Ford blue from Tractor Supply.

I cut a slot in the back of the “B” pillar and slid a 6” piece of 1/2”x2” steel plate into place. I had to grind off a little on the one corner so that it sets flat in the pillar.

I drilled two holes through the inside of the pillar and welded the plate into place. I drilled and taped it for the bolt. I then welded in the side of the pillar. It’s all hidden by the side windows.

This was the only picture I could find.

BA3EF6CD-D8BE-4F89-B3E2-92DD8DBC4675.jpeg

Back