Motorcycles, just because

1974 Triumph Trident T150V

View attachment 102569

Rocket's bike in post #46 is my bike's older, much cooler sister (Their bottom ends are essentially identical, but Rocket's ride has those attractive forward sloped jugs):

Rocket:
"1969 BSA Rocket 3 750CC Three cylinder. Clubman/Cafe Special. Bought just out of the Army in 1973"
View attachment 102612

http://www.classic-motorcycle-build.com/triumph-trident-history.html

I used to have an Open Reverse Cone Megaphone on the 3 into 1 exhaust header. NOTHING sounds like a triple. My wife says she could hear me come off the highway a mile away from the house.
This next video shows an almost 50 year old Triumph Triple coming in third against modern Race bikes. Not to mention the Gray Beard Riding it..

Last edited:
Those riders are amazing! We ran a "street race" series for 3 years on Port Authority roads in Aberdeen, WA. Was only 1.2 mile circuit but was scary fun with man hole covers, guard rails, power poles, rail tracks, etc. A 37 mile circuit would scare the s--t outta me. We lost a racer the second year and City Officials let us run the third year then cancelled the event.Think my highest speed in those events was only around 115... can't imagine doing 150-170 thru blind curves...

So I'm curious and maybe somebody can answer (having a hard time with search engines but then I;m the original search-tard)
When I was in high school (early '70's) my girlfriend's dad had a what I remember as a 2 cylinder trumpet that had 2 different cogs you could switch out with a chain tensioner; one for street and one for dirt. It was orange and I think a 350cc, the pipes were mounted pretty high with thigh guards. I always thought it was the coolest bike... I had a Bu-zer Gold Star, so named because the guy who rebuilt the engine swapped in a Buick piston for the BSA. And while mine was faster and "bigger" at 500cc. it was more fun riding the Triumph. Anybody remember what it could have been?

FWIW, I was following a new Royal Enfield today and I swear the exhaust smelled like curry :p But it sure was cute; drum brakes and all!

Maybe a TR5T Trophy Trail? I am not sure the 350 twins ever made it to the US and don't thin there was a scrambler version anyway. I would also guess the dual (rear?) sprocket setup may be aftermarket or even home made. I don't know of a stock bike having such a setup.

I even found an orange one.

So I'm curious and maybe somebody can answer (having a hard time with search engines but then I;m the original search-tard)
When I was in high school (early '70's) my girlfriend's dad had a what I remember as a 2 cylinder trumpet that had 2 different cogs you could switch out with a chain tensioner; one for street and one for dirt. It was orange and I think a 350cc, the pipes were mounted pretty high with thigh guards. I always thought it was the coolest bike... I had a Bu-zer Gold Star, so named because the guy who rebuilt the engine swapped in a Buick piston for the BSA. And while mine was faster and "bigger" at 500cc. it was more fun riding the Triumph. Anybody remember what it could have been?

FWIW, I was following a new Royal Enfield today and I swear the exhaust smelled like curry :p But it sure was cute; drum brakes and all!

Maybe a TR5T Trophy Trail? I am not sure the 350 twins ever made it to the US and don't thin there was a scrambler version anyway.
I think there were tests of the 350 in some magazine or other back then, but I think by the time they showed up they were so far behind the Japanese bikes of the time they just went nowhere.

Both of my Buddies. The one riding is Hank. He's been riding and flying with me for 4 years. He likes to drive. That's his favorite riding position on the 2013 Buddy 170i scooter. Our 2003 Harley Sportster has carpet on the tank for him to stick better. When he's tired or lazy, he curls up on the floor and sleeps. He's good for about 50 miles before he either climbs down to the floorboards or stretches across my knees. We also have two Rupps Roadsters, a MONSTER big boy mini-bike with a race prepped 270 cc Subaru Robin cart engine, a kinda Tote Gote called a Trail King made by Homelite Chainsaw company in 1960, and a tiny Doodle Bug for the wife, who , terrified of anything that Flies or rolls on two wheels, will only ride very slowly with both feet flat on the ground.

Attachments

• 20220515_193102.jpg
    20220515_193102.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220430_170348.jpg
    20220430_170348.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

I know some of the Yamaha and Honda Trail Bikes had two sprockets. But I don't remember a Triumph with them. You had to remove a master link and add a section of chain with a second master link to use the Trail Gear.
R.7cd5a1ff18f8326aa1fd492b2927314a

Both of my Buddies. The one riding is Hank. He's been riding and flying with me for 4 years. He likes to drive. That's his favorite riding position on the 2013 Buddy 170i scooter. Our 2003 Harley Sportster has carpet on the tank for him to stick better. When he's tired or lazy, he curls up on the floor and sleeps. He's good for about 50 miles before he either climbs down to the floorboards or stretches across my knees. We also have two Rupps Roadsters, a MONSTER big boy mini-bike with a race prepped 270 cc Subaru Robin cart engine, a kinda Tote Gote called a Trail King made by Homelite Chainsaw company in 1960, and a tiny Doodle Bug for the wife, who , terrified of anything that Flies or rolls on two wheels, will only ride very slowly with both feet flat on the ground.
What a collection! You da mini-bike king!

I had a TC125 just like the one below as my "daily driver" in high school in the early seventies.

The flip lever on top of the case just above the left footpeg is a toggling kick shift paddle for selecting high or low range.

Mine eventually sported plastic fenders front and rear (with a much cooler tail light), black chromoly handlebars, better shocks, a larger rear sprocket and a Hooker exhaust.

Lots of fun on and off road. Wheelies galore.

1971-suzuki-tc125-tc-125-vintage-rare-runs-well-3.jpg

...and yeah, the front drum brake was temporarily useless on the way out of the self-serve car wash after a day in the woods.

Last edited:
The engine in the Trackmaster started out as a Hornet.

Really like this one, I think this style is the best (XR750 and so on), so lean and purposeful and not over styled. Also any desert style twin gets my vote. Oh and Rickman stuff, and on and on. I had a '66 Hornet that was set up like a Spitfire for a few years, it had lots of character and plenty of poke. I'd really have liked a European tank as it makes the proportions better together with the motor, to my eye at least.

UVJNbs6.png
Current project is a '66 Norton N15CS that I got as a pile of parts that was sitting for many years. The tanks had been custom painted and striped in '94 and were signed, am having original painter do the toolbox cover. Engine and transmission are rebuilt, .040 NOS low comp pistons, crank reground, valve job etc. I got fork lowers and disc brake caliper from a '73 Commando to replace the single leading shoe front brake and put on a new drilled rotor. Just a few things left including wiring, I've replaced the magneto with electronic ignition.

rpHoNic.jpg

Current project is a '66 Norton N15CS that I got as a pile of parts that was sitting for many years. The tanks had been custom painted and striped in '94 and were signed, am having original painter do the toolbox cover. Engine and transmission are rebuilt, .040 NOS low comp pistons, crank reground, valve job etc. I got fork lowers and disc brake caliper from a '73 Commando to replace the single leading shoe front brake and put on a new drilled rotor. Just a few things left including wiring, I've replaced the magneto with electronic ignition.

rpHoNic.jpg
Snortin' Norton.

Back