mvoyt

Gear Grinder
Sep 6, 2010
Mahtomedi MN
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Hoping someone has some input from a similar experience...I am having trouble figuring out why I am not getting a oil pressure reading on my 59 PU 6-226. PO had a mechanical gauge installed and had the same problem (no read at gauge) when I purchased the vehicle. I recently installed an electronic gauge and am not getting a reading as well despite the new sender and gauge. The engine runs just fine,oil level is good and there is no noticeable performance issues...the dipstick is really loose w/o a tight seal (?) ... the PO had said he had tested the pressure at the block and got 24-30 psi, so I was thinking it was a gauge/sender issue but now on the 2nd one with same results...As a weekend tinkerer and new to willys, looking for thoughts from anyone who has seen this before.. thanks.

Wild stab in the dark here (I'm not conversant with the 6-226 engine):

Where "at the block" did the PO test the oil pressure? If it is at a different place from where you have your pressure sensor attached, is it possible your attachment point is plugged somehow? Could you simply hook your pressure sensor up where the PO took his reading?

That is my thoughts also, PO may have checked at the pump and the port for the sender may be plugged. Or the PO may have plumbed into a return line that is low pressure?

Thanks for the responses...the oil port on the 6-226 is on the lower passenger side of the block...earlier on this forum someone had posted a pic of the port and it appears to be the same one in use on mine. I can't say I know if the PO tested at the port or elsewhere but this is the second sender (electronic this time) so I am thinking it pretty unlikely the sender is blocked....I suppose it is possible for the port to blocked internally for some reason though I cant think of the circumstances....probably the next step is to take it in for another test at the port to be sure.

It is hard to picture that there is an internal blockage to the oil sender, but it is even more unlikely that you have had two bad sensors. The mechanical sensors are pretty simple and not a whole lot to go wrong with them. Did any oil come out when you changed the sending unit? Would not be much unless the motor was just shut off, but there should be a little. maybe you could try to clean out the port to the sender with a small screwdriver or piece of wire and see if there is a blockage.

First thing I would do, is varify for myself that I had oil pressure right at the sending unit port with a mechanical tester. If you have good pressure then you know there is a issue with the sender, wiring or gauge. I have seen brand new units that were deffective out of the box, so don't think because it is new that it's good.

I hope this helps Terry

WagonNut said:
First thing I would do, is varify for myself that I had oil pressure right at the sending unit port with a mechanical tester. If you have good pressure then you know there is a issue with the sender, wiring or gauge. I have seen brand new units that were deffective out of the box, so don't think because it is new that it's good.

I hope this helps Terry

That is why I said the mechanical ones are simple, even if it is acting up it should show a change of pressure when running. I have installed quite a few brand new electrical things that didn't work.

does the engine or oil pump have an oil pressure control or bypass valve? I was surprised to find one on my healey when I had it.

Gary,
What the 226 has is an oil relief valve. If the spring is broken or weak, it would cause problems. Also if the valve body is scored, that could be an issue.

Not saying this is the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. It's located on the right side of the block, beneath the valve cover. (the big bolt head looking thing) about 1 1/8" or so.

Is the engine original? Has the oil pump ever been changed/rebuilt? If you hook up a mechanical gage and you're not getting at least 5 psi at idle, you need to suspect the pump. Yes, that is extremely low, but that's the spec and 19 psi at 2000rpm. The original pumps were weak to begin with. There are high output pumps available now.
Steve

Back