Nov 30, 2009
Bartonville, TX
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
It's snowing here in the Dallas area, and after some chili I'm not likely to take a nap. So here are the pics my daughter had on film that I scanned plus some digital I took to sell parts on eBay. All parts sold, sorry. The 5.7L Vortec, 4L80E and misc. parts from a rollover pickup are in here too, shown in and out (at least 5 times) of the project. I was able to put it in w/o firewall mods. I did cut the flat part of the front crossmember, the width of the pulley, on the engine side, see pic. On the painted frame picture you can see the frame rework for the saginaw steering box and steering shaft. The axle pics show the Rubicon Express brackets (TJ kit) welded in place. The pic of the square tube parts painted black are the bolt on spring and shock mounts ; bolt on to allow up/down adjustment. Also the 2x4 square tube trans crossmember, 2x4 to also support the Dana 300 transfer case. Engine pics show Griffin radiator, self fabricated mount. A/C condenser will be relocated under body with a fan to remove the extra heat load we get here in TX. K&N mounted on the end of the stock air tube with a piece of water heater vent pipe. Battery box is from Summit Racing, A/C is Vintage Air, and the Supercooler keeps everyone comfortable. I have since removed the evap. canister; I was reading the ECU flash info and it was deactivated. 24 years and older need no emissions check in TX, so the cats and rear 02 sensors are gone. Two 2.25" tubes to a series 40 rv muffler with a single 3" exhaust. One picture of how the body was supported while the frame mods were done. The engine hoist in the foreground was put in through the side window and tow straps under the body used for the lift. Frame was rolled out on the brake drums. The red springs, control arms and white shocks are a Skyjacker TJ 4" lift kit. The rear spring upper and lower mounts, and all front and rear upper control arm mounts are factory TJ brackets. My 1999 TJ was used as a template for suspension geometry and driveline angle. At 75 on the freeway it's as smooth as my wife's Expedition. There are some interior shots of the 4 recovered TJ seats, mounted on cut down wheel tubs. 33x12.5's aren't going under the body anyway, so the seats apart give access to the rear cargo area.
Willysinterior9.jpg
Willysinterior1.jpg
springbrktstransxmember.jpg
framewithsteeringmodandcontrolarmbrkts.jpg
Willysinterior4.jpg
/i
frontsusp.jpg
enginebay2.jpg
m
enginebay1.jpg
g
350andframewcutout4crankpulley.jpg
]
axleswTJbrackets.jpg
/
4l80e-1.jpg
dashwoutmods.jpg
oldandheavy.jpg
img]

germain said:
It's snowing here in the Dallas area, and after some chili I'm not likely to take a nap. So here are the pics my daughter had on film that I scanned plus some digital I took to sell parts on eBay. All parts sold, sorry. The 5.7L Vortec, 4L80E and misc. parts from a rollover pickup are in here too, shown in and out (at least 5 times) of the project. I was able to put it in w/o firewall mods. I did cut the flat part of the front crossmember, the width of the pulley, on the engine side, see pic. On the painted frame picture you can see the frame rework for the saginaw steering box and steering shaft. The axle pics show the Rubicon Express brackets (TJ kit) welded in place. The pic of the square tube parts painted black are the bolt on spring and shock mounts ; bolt on to allow up/down adjustment. Also the 2x4 square tube trans crossmember, 2x4 to also support the Dana 300 transfer case. Engine pics show Griffin radiator, self fabricated mount. A/C condenser will be relocated under body with a fan to remove the extra heat load we get here in TX. K&N mounted on the end of the stock air tube with a piece of water heater vent pipe. Battery box is from Summit Racing, A/C is Vintage Air, and the Supercooler keeps everyone comfortable. I have since removed the evap. canister; I was reading the ECU flash info and it was deactivated. 24 years and older need no emissions check in TX, so the cats and rear 02 sensors are gone. Two 2.25" tubes to a series 40 rv muffler with a single 3" exhaust. One picture of how the body was supported while the frame mods were done. The engine hoist in the foreground was put in through the side window and tow straps under the body used for the lift. Frame was rolled out on the brake drums. The red springs, control arms and white shocks are a Skyjacker TJ 4" lift kit. The rear spring upper and lower mounts, and all front and rear upper control arm mounts are factory TJ brackets. My 1999 TJ was used as a template for suspension geometry and driveline angle. At 75 on the freeway it's as smooth as my wife's Expedition. There are some interior shots of the 4 recovered TJ seats, mounted on cut down wheel tubs. 33x12.5's aren't going under the body anyway, so the seats apart give access to the rear cargo area.
Willysinterior9.jpg

Willysinterior1.jpg

springbrktstransxmember.jpg

framewithsteeringmodandcontrolarmbrkts.jpg

Willysinterior4.jpg

frontsusp.jpg

enginebay2.jpg

enginebay1.jpg

350andframewcutout4crankpulley.jpg

axleswTJbrackets.jpg

4l80e-1.jpg

dashwoutmods.jpg

oldandheavy.jpg
;) :cheers: That looks really nice.

Nice marriage between the two vehicles.
Must have been good at tetrus to get everything under the hood though. ;)

Back