Dec 8, 2009
Midwest USA
First Name
Richard
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
I haven't found or can find a single picture, image or drawing showing a side mirror for any year of the wagon (either side).

I have seen (read) a lot of vendors stating that this mirror or that mirror was stock but they can't all have been stock mirrors.

Does anyone know for certain what mirrors, if any, were used on the wagons? Were they required equipment back then? Were they optional equipment back then?

tia.

TT

Interesting because I have the same question, my 47 had a mirror on the drivers side when I bought it but I don't know if it came that way from the factory. I bought a 1947 willys wagon road test article on line and none of the pictures show an outside mirror on the vehicle. I was thinking of adding one to the passenger side for safety reasons but still wanted to keep it looking original if possible. Let's see what the experts have to say.

I also have the same problem. I've got the brackets on both sides that look like they're from that era. I'll load a pic of brackets tomorrow. Chuck

Quite the quandary, isn't it? :?

I'd certainly like to see your picture(s) rcshook696

Now, for you 47. I would almost have to say that the mirror type used on yours would most likely have been the first image in this post. I say that because it was only two years after the end of the war and there were likely a lot of those mirrors gathering dust and they might as well have used them up. Later on they had the luxury of design refinements.

Let me start by addressing a portion of my post that may need some clarification.

When I said "I haven't found or can find a single picture, image or drawing showing a side mirror for any year of the wagon (either side)."

I should have said, I haven't found or can find any 'dated' or 'circa' pictures, images or drawings showing a side mirror for any year of the wagon (either side).

I've also done a search today and can't find out when side view mirrors were made mandatory equipment either. Which may have answered some of our questions.

Also, with the rather extensive run of the Wagon and Delivery models I would actually expect there to have been different types used over the years. And I did not mean to imply otherwise when I said "but they can't all have been stock mirrors". Yes they certainly could have ;)

We need to find some engineering blueprints. Assembly drawings. Pull sheets, or something detailing what really was on a car as it left the factory.

I have been told that these came stock on the wagons...

[galleryimage:3opfrkqf]140[/galleryimage:3opfrkqf]

Then I was told by another vendor that this is what came stock on the wagons (except not this clamp on type)...

[galleryimage:3opfrkqf]298[/galleryimage:3opfrkqf]

Then there is the fact that I've been told that trying to use those mirrors through the "wing window" is like tits on a bull....just useless.

With this paucity of anything factually known about the side view mirrors on the wagons I'm inclined to do what is aesthetically pleasing to my eye and yet be wholly functional in regards to its intended purpose. I believe I'll probably go with the second image, a 5" round mirror, and clamped in such a way so as not to be in the way of the wing window even if that means clamping it above the post between the wing window and the roll-up window, sort of near the top of the door frame. I have seen others like that it they don't look too bad.

What to do....oh, what to do ;)

Let me know what you guys go with and I'll let you know what I do, ok?

Make it a great week!

P.S. I tried to insert those two images in the post with image tags and it said it was unable to determine their size. The size doesn't need to be determined.....THEY CAME OUT OF THE OWF GALLERIES :? :roll: (I made them a different color so they would stand out from the other text)

[Edit] Fixed gallery images with new method. Thanks Pete!

TT

Here's the only mirror I"ve seen in vintage adds... All of the other vintage ads I've seen show no mirrors at all. Apparently, back in the day, Willys owners had no need to see what was behind them. :D

This one looks like the long arm mirror that is on Strud's truck.

Pete

[galleryimage:16e2so3g]29[/galleryimage:16e2so3g]

TornadoTamer said:
P.S. I tried to insert those two images in the post with image tags and it said it was unable to determine their size. The size doesn't need to be determined.....THEY CAME OUT OF THE OWF GALLERIES :? :roll: (I made them a different color so they would stand out from the other text)

TT

Just added the BBcode to add gallery images to a post. You just have to put the image id number in between the tags after you click the button...

Pete

[galleryimage:auljt2mc]140[/galleryimage:auljt2mc]
[galleryimage:auljt2mc]298[/galleryimage:auljt2mc]

I have a mirror like the second one you showed ( clamp on) sitting in my garage form another project. If /when I get my wagon back I can try clamping it on there and see how it fits...... no telling when that will be though- you may have it figured out by then.

I have no mirrors on mine yet either........

Tom

Pete said:
Here's the only mirror I"ve seen in vintage adds... All of the other vintage ads I've seen show no mirrors at all. Apparently, back in the day, Willys owners had no need to see what was behind them. :D

This one looks like the long arm mirror that is on Strud's truck.

Pete

[galleryimage:1wv056vy]29[/galleryimage:1wv056vy]

Actually, I think like most things in the automotive world they originally weren't required....then they became required equipment, but, I've noticed exactly what you described.

There should be blueprints, drawings or pull sheets around somewhere that would give us a factual starting point. IF we could come up with any of those I can interpret them accurately. Not to brag on myself but, I'm an expert blueprint interpreter (25+ years as an aircraft mechanic). I'm Ansi 14.5 certified, too.

Thanks for your help, Pete!

TT

Imposter71 said:
I have a mirror like the second one you showed ( clamp on) sitting in my garage form another project. If /when I get my wagon back I can try clamping it on there and see how it fits...... no telling when that will be though- you may have it figured out by then.

I have no mirrors on mine yet either........

Tom

To me those look to be the most aesthetically pleasing, too. But if one has the earlier versions of the wagon/truck then I believe the long arm mirrors would be most appropriate.

However, from the descriptions I have read it does make sense to me that the wing window and its frame would thoroughly obscure things.

"you may have it figured out by then."

Or not ;)

Good luck with your project, Imp! (Tom) I thank you for your input!

TT

Here are the mirror brackets that are on my 57 wagon. I like them just got to find a mirror to fit them. Maybe modification is in store for them

[attachment=2:2ce96tjx]mirror 1.JPG[/attachment:2ce96tjx]

Attachments

• mirror 1.JPG
    mirror 1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 77
  • mirror 2.JPG
    mirror 2.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 73
  • mirror 3.JPG
    mirror 3.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 72
rcshook696 said:
Here are the mirror brackets that are on my 57 wagon. I like them just got to find a mirror to fit them. Maybe modification is in store for them

[attachment=2:dvleaj5k]mirror 1.JPG[/attachment:dvleaj5k]

Hello RC,

Well, that's a third type that I've seen now. I imagine you could use any single bolt attaching type mirror?

I couldn't find that exact mirror but I did find these...

http://www.kanter.com///eCatalog/00068.htm

They ^ ^ ^ are rather pricey though.

That is also the only site I have found that supplies engine overhaul kits for the Tornado engine.

Atb!

TT

Here's another option, the So-Cal Speed Shop Swan Neck Mirror.

http://www.est1946.com/so-calswanneckoutsidemirror.aspx

I have these on my Plymouth, and have seen them on everything from '32 Fords to 50's trucks. They are simple, mount with one hole, and have a period look that I think looks pretty good on just about anything. $99 a pair, cheaper than the Kanter mirrors.

sidemirror.jpg

mirrorleft.JPG

Pete

Pete said:
Here's another option, the So-Cal Speed Shop Swan Neck Mirror.

http://www.est1946.com/so-calswanneckoutsidemirror.aspx

I have these on my Plymouth, and have seen them on everything from '32 Fords to 50's trucks. They are simple, mount with one hole, and have a period look that I think looks pretty good on just about anything. $99 a pair, cheaper than the Kanter mirrors.

sidemirror.jpg

mirrorleft.JPG

Pete

That is quite attractive, Pete. I believe what this thread has zeroed in on is that each owner must decide for themselves where their interests lie and the concept they desire to convey. I believe some of the early years will do best with the early "Jeep" type mirrors and the later years can use any that they want to since I haven't seen a pull sheet (build sheet) yet and it is left to the individual owners intent and budget.

I really like the ones you and rcshook696 posted because they can be moved out of the obstructed view of the wing window....I really like the idea of that for personal reasons.

Salud :cheers: ;)

Take care.

TT

The clamp-on came w/ my '49 2wd, and had apparently been there since very early on... my '50 jeepster also had one. My '56 pu (and '62 parts trk) had no factory holes, only amateur ones from later add-ons. The long arm style is the original issue MB army style fully extended - JC Whitney has cheap ones, military restoration vendors have heavier duty like original equipment.

Back