Latches and Locks

MrFreeze5

Bigger Hammer
Mar 2, 2010
Denver, Co
Willys Model
Willys Year:
When I bought my wagon, I got one key that fit the ignition, but thats it. I dont have a key to the door or tailgate locks, and the driver door doesnt latch. Is there a reasonably priced aftermarket lock set? And what about replacing the latch mechanism? The passenger door latches, but it doesnt seem like it closes the door fully, it kinda wobbles. Is that normal, or is it not latching all the way? Is there an upgrade that I can do to make it more secure? The locks seem pretty flimsy. Id like to make it so that I do not have to worry about my radio getting jacked while Im getting groceries or something. What are some goo security upgrades to the Wagon?

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I'm not excited about the security of locking up as well...I haven't reach that point yet, but was thinking if there is an electric solenoid that would drive a pin in & out for locking the doors? Like a dead bolt...

dozerjim

Sharpest Tool
Nov 11, 2009
Clarence,New York (western part near Buffalo)
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I have had good luck with takeing the latches out of the door and cleaning and oiling,if you take the lock itself to a locksmith he can make a key that will work.As far as a more secure locking mechanism there are some available from street rod suppliers like SpeedwayMotors.com,have seen doors that have had latches replaced have not done one yet,but agree it would be comforting to know it was more secure.There are many electric latches also,could probably make one from a donor car work,good luck,interested to here what you find.....Jim

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Simple sign(s) works wonders:

"do you believe in the after life? steal this car and find out?"

"if value your life like I value this car? then don't steal it!"

"life is complicated, lets keep this simple: Steal Here, Die Here!"

"NRA LIFE MEMBER"

"Colt AR-15 the FREE world's right arm, care to SHAKE on that?"

MrFreeze5

Bigger Hammer
Mar 2, 2010
Denver, Co
Willys Model
Willys Year:
SavageSun Willys said:
Simple sign(s) works wonders:

"do you believe in the after life? steal this car and find out?"

"if value your life like I value this car? then don't steal it!"

"life is complicated, lets keep this simple: Steal Here, Die Here!"

"NRA LIFE MEMBER"

"Colt AR-15 the FREE world's right arm, care to SHAKE on that?"

Signs dont work in this neighborhood, they just get spray painted over. Last fall I had to go all Ed Norton on this asshat who tried to break into my Jeep. It was parked on the street in front of my house at 9am on a friday. If I park on the street, the blinds are open so I can see. Saw this yahoo acting all shady outside, then saw him bust the window. Right after that I come running out the front door wearing nothing but boxers and AR15. Handcuffed the ass to the fence until the cops got there. My point though, is the Jeep has a security system and locked doors and was quick work. If I hadnt been watching, my truck, or at least the valuable in it would have been gone. The Willysis significantly less secure. And how difficult would it be for a thief to hotwire it? Not that freaking hard. Granted, a truck like this couldnt be resold very easily after being stolen, but the parts going into my wagon are worth some money. And I cant camp out with the guns all the time as much as Id like to.

I would prefer to just take a few shots with the AR from inside the house, but the law kinda frowns on that unless theyre a bit more threatening.

Another thing that didnt deter the idiot at all were the security cameras looking right at him. I used to set up surveillance systems and wired my house a long time ago. 10 cams total and people still try to break into my truck. A neighbor tried to steal my dog, etc, etc.

JBingham

Bigger Hammer
Dec 18, 2009
Ozark, Alabama
Annnd now I've just check Colorado off the list of places I plan to visit with my Willy's truck. ;)

Tried to steal your dog?? Kind of sounds like unless you own a Bradley, you might better off just, well, moving.

papas34

Bigger Hammer
Mar 17, 2010
Ogden, Utah
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Denver's kind of a 25 footer.....
Just like some cars look good from 25 feet, but up close...well I'd pass.
I've lived in Denver in the past and spent a few night there as a long haul trucker ....still feels like Watts.... :lol: :lol:

64 Traveler

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Mar 20, 2010
Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
MrFreeze5 said:
When I bought my wagon, I got one key that fit the ignition, but thats it. I dont have a key to the door or tailgate locks, and the driver door doesnt latch. Is there a reasonably priced aftermarket lock set? And what about replacing the latch mechanism? The passenger door latches, but it doesnt seem like it closes the door fully, it kinda wobbles. Is that normal, or is it not latching all the way? Is there an upgrade that I can do to make it more secure? The locks seem pretty flimsy. Id like to make it so that I do not have to worry about my radio getting jacked while Im getting groceries or something. What are some goo security upgrades to the Wagon?

I had a locksmith key the front and rear doors to the ignition key. It's nice having just one key.

You can adjust the door latches so they close and lock properly. Remember to use graphite when you lube the locks and not oil.

I've got an keyed electric lock for my electric fuel pump, a battery cut off switch and a removeable steering wheel.