knuckle lube

50 dump

Gear Grinder
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I've been going through the '50 dump truck. Checked the fluid in the front knuckle (Rzeppa) joints and they are dry. The manual says use Universal UJoint lubrication.......but I don't know what that is. I put 90W in there, but you know what happened to that.............just got to clean up a mess.
Do I make some knucle pudding or can I purchased the lubrication for it?
Thanks,
Victor

Hi Victor

Universal joint lube.. I have always thought it was the stuff that came in a carboard tube and you put it in a grease gun and use it to grease ujoints. It comes in all kinds of different styles too. Hit the ole NAPA store and check out grease tubes next to the oil section. Thats my .02 cents thats all. Hope it helps you out.

The knuckle pudding is gonna be your next step. WIth the closed knuckles and internal ujoints in there that is all I have ever seen go into them.

Eric B said:
The knuckle pudding is gonna be your next step. WIth the closed knuckles and internal ujoints in there that is all I have ever seen go into them.

Thanks Eric. I thought so. I'll stir some up and get it in there.

So where are the grease fittings on the front end of these trucks?? I have found grease fittings on the spring shacle bolts and the tie rod ends too. How does one go about lubricating these steering knuckle parts??

mikec4193 said:
So where are the grease fittings on the front end of these trucks?? I have found grease fittings on the spring shacle bolts and the tie rod ends too. How does one go about lubricating these steering knuckle parts??

Mike,
Here's a pic of the pass side. There's a filler plug for the joints behind the housing. My truck is stock, so don't know if you have these closed knuckles.

Attachments

• knuckle plug.jpg
    knuckle plug.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 61
I pump in a moderate amount of moly chassis lube, then add a little 90W gear lube, drive the truck up and down the driveway to mix eveyrthing up, works pretty well. Still drips occasionally, but isn't a problem.

Hey Victor

I have the same front end on my truck as you have on yours. I got my truck up in the air awaiting new rear leaf springs but once that is done I'll be filling the front end up with lube. You guys are the best. Thanks for all the info. Can wait to drive this thing on the road. :)

Back