Ken’s Peacock Blue ‘62

Shelter in place update ;)

Had plenty of time to look over truck number 2 since bringing her home and try to figure out what direction I’m going to go with this project.

The undercarriage has typical 60 years of crud built up but the truck is completely original with a Warn Overdrive.
Has much needed parts, a Cool AM radio, the original air cleaner and all new replacement glass .

Other than some rust on the floor boards and some paint damage on the left front corner ( from the camp fire ) the body on truck number 2 is pretty sweet and it’s also Peacock blue ! ( what are the odds of that :cool:
The front seat was lost in the fire but I just located an original seat about 4 hours away from 6T1L226
( gotta love the forum for parts )
The previous owner had purchased new replacement floors and started removing them ( one less thing to buy )
I’ve decided to use the body from truck number 2 and whatever parts are needed and the chassis from Idaho. Eventually swap in the overdrive .

Frame is currently getting prepped, rust proofed and then Painted

1A43497D-C81C-4E9B-8B14-0475F7D12D36.png6054BB9E-5558-459C-88E3-22D03BCE6B2A.jpegC36E1755-D622-40A3-B7B5-D92B03D9DAD9.png

Pulled cover on the rear end and gears looked good
4.27 gears

20FD68CB-1F2A-41F1-AB77-F4D3EABD4893.jpeg7F0D414C-5538-44CB-BFB8-CD48BC3A1406.jpegAAB2CF58-E439-4033-B0B4-20781F2AF41A.jpeg

Another MASSIVE score - a Spicer 53 powr-loc!!!!

Hey Ken
Help me out a bit - how do you tell my rear 53 is a powr-loc ?
Is 4 12 62 stamped on the ring gear the date ?
And my front 25 has a tag that says use limited slip diff lube only ( although I haven’t opened it up yet )
Ken

It's a 2 piece carrier, much bulkier than the open carrier. Visually they are hugely different. That's the real thing!

One bit you should probably know about is the axle housing used with the powr-loc in a 53 only is not the same as an open carrier; they narrowed it a touch as the endplay spacer in the middle of the carrier is smaller. The housings are not interchangeable and you cannot get the right axle endplay unless you have matching parts. So that axle housing is also super desirable!

And a limited slip 25 as well - awesome! Someone speced that truck to be unstoppable in the off-road.

I'm doing the same thing with my 62 Tornado truck and found front and rear powr-locs for it. That's how I found out about the axle housing thing when I went to set it up. Took a bunch of effort to get then axle endplay right, but I was too far in to stop at that point. I made spacer shims to "sink" the wheel bearings to get my endplay right, then had to do some more spacing to get the brakes to work. Desperately want that housing you have!

Check to see if it has the doweled plate upgrade, passenger side, bottom corner. I think it is a very good upgrade. I guess the other thing to check is for cracks; you can see where I weld repaired this one.

Plate with dowel installed.jpg

Check to see if it has the doweled plate upgrade, passenger side, bottom corner. I think it is a very good upgrade. I guess the other thing to check is for cracks; you can see where I weld repaired this one.

No such luck on the plate upgrade Ken. Good news is no visible cracks.

Valve cover gasket has seen better days so while the cover is off... any tips on the best way to polish it? :cool:

Back