Apr 7, 2022
Gulf Coast, FL
First Name
Bruce
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Truck is a 1953, 4WD, F134 with a stock and likely original suspension. The springs are shot, so I ordered the complete suspension kit from KW. I received everything described and pictured in their catalog.

The rear springs are straightforward; no questions (yet). The front springs included in the kit are obviously meant to be modified. All my questions are about that...modifying the front springs to work with the components included in the kit, including new U-style front shackles.

- The new front springs have two bushings already installed as shown in the pictures. The two bushings are different. One is a simple metal sleeve and one has a rubber insert. Neither of them fit the new pivot bolt or the new shackle. So I press out both of them, right?
- The kit comes with new pivot bolt bushings for the rear of the front springs. One of them gets pressed into the new spring. Does it matter which end of the new spring they go into?
- The kit does NOT contain new bushings for the front end of the front spring. On my old one, it looks like there is a thin metal sleeve in the front spring eye to fit the u-shaped shackle. Am I supposed to press that out of the old spring and re-use it? It seems like if a bushing was required there, that the kit would have included it. But it also seems weird that the u-shaped shackle would just go in the eye without a bushing for it to slide around in.

Appreciate the help, as always.

IMG_2343.jpegIMG_2344.jpegne is a simple metal

Both bushings are installed in the newsprings, but the new springs are set up for the later model "side by side" shackles. Your truck has the "U" shackles; no? Hence the big ol' hole in the front of your original spring. The bottom pic of the new spring eye is the front, set up for the side by side plate shackles.
Time to call KW...
Or you could replace the front perches, kinda PITA.

BTW, did you check the fit of the grease-able pivot bolts in the new springs? And how do the pivot bolts look? Clean em up and check em out before tossing them back in.

"BTW, did you check the fit of the grease-able pivot bolts in the new springs? And how do the pivot bolts look? Clean em up and check em out before tossing them back in."

The kit comes with new pivot bolts and the proper bushing for the rear of the front springs. Same for all three bushings/bolts for the rear spring. The only weirdness is the front of the front springs.

According to Jason at KW, the front spring's front eye doesn't need a bushing. He told me to press out whatever is in there and the grease-able u-shackle will fit. I'll check later today. If it's a poor fit, I can try to press the sleeve out of the old spring and put it in the new spring. It's quite thin, though. Easy to bugger it up. I might machine a pin with a shoulder on it to knock it out without collapsing it.

Back