Just got this '56 Today

retmotor

Bigger Hammer
Aug 19, 2010
Montana
Willys Model
Willys Year:
As near as I can tell, the drivetrain is all original except for the locking hubs.

dcc14def.jpg

4dfebe76.jpg

...and I drove it home :)

Welcome to the forum Brian, looks like fun- :cheers:

Pete

Thank you Pete, and thank you for the forum.

I've got a lot to learn. The motor is a Chevy 292 :eek:

You'd think the cut-up motor mounts and what's left of the orange paint would've been a clue. Geez... Guess I wanted it so bad I wasn't really looking. I've found some more body damage too -- in places I specifically looked for dents (like the curved parts of the roof.) :oops:

Well, I'm disappointed in myself and bummed about the motor, but hey, like the wife says, I still have a Willys sitting in the driveway...

If it makes you feel better the hubs look like Cutlass hubs, they could be original.

Just for gee whiz folks, the Willys trucks and wagons Never, Ever came with a V-8. Some folks will tell you that the Studebaker flat head V-8 was an option, but it wasn't.
Brian, for what it's worth, I really like your pick up. Keep smilin' and keep playin' with it.
Steve

aquawilly54 said:
Just for gee whiz folks, the Willys trucks and wagons Never, Ever came with a V-8. Some folks will tell you that the Studebaker flat head V-8 was an option, but it wasn't.
Brian, for what it's worth, I really like your pick up. Keep smilin' and keep playin' with it.
Steve

The 292 is an I6. I think I have a pic on my phone . . . Yup:
IMG_20100903_193944.jpg

Even though it's an I6, in retrospect I must have been blinded by Willys lust not to immediately notice it wasn't original. My wifes friend noticed it wasn't original before I even had the hood all the way open. Makes a fellow feel pretty dumb, actually.

The motor bears a casting#, 3921970. My research tells me it was only used in Chevy/GM trucks; 1963-1976.

And thanks, Steve, I'll keep smiling and playing with it. Ordered some literature and catalogs for it today...

Ha! For some silly reason my brain was stuck on 352. And That's A FORD! Hee heee! Talk about being in left field. :)

Ok, my head is on straight now. At least the fire wall isn't hacked up from the install.
Steve

aquawilly54 said:
Ha! For some silly reason my brain was stuck on 352. And That's A FORD! Hee heee! Talk about being in left field. :)

Ok, my head is on straight now. At least the fire wall isn't hacked up from the install.
Steve
Maybe because I had a 352 in my first pickup -- 67 F100 -- how'd you know??

They didn't hack the firewall, but the front cross member on the frame has a big ol' notch in it. The 292 must be a longer motor...

cnsay said:
If it makes you feel better the hubs look like Cutlass hubs, they could be original.

They are Cutlass hubs, thanks. They seem to work too.

Is there a way to see the pictures? I can't. To me the 292 sounds like a good thing, mine has a chevy 235 in it. Is it a tight fit?

Pics dont show anymore? Sure would like to see what you brought home. Your wife sounds great too.

Back