Just bought a 50 Jeepster that was converted to 12 volts with the alternator

You will get a kick out of this! here is a picture of the wire nuts that were used on the main harness in the engine compartment, and the other picture is wire nuts used under the dash buy the steering column, I think those are related to the turn signals?.

I replaced the engine compartment wire nuts with "Pluggable" connectors and will address the under dash wire nuts today.

I just do not understand why anyone would take on a job like this and not spend the time to do it right!

Attachments

• WIRE NUTS USED ON MAIN HARNESS.JPG
    WIRE NUTS USED ON MAIN HARNESS.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • WIRE NUTS USED UNDER THE DASH.JPG
    WIRE NUTS USED UNDER THE DASH.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Wow that's quite a restoration you are doing, very very impressive!!

Thank you for sharing, I can really use the pics for reference on mine so I don't have to crawl underneath.

I just do not understand why anyone would take on a job like this and not spend the time to do it right!
One of the reasons I feel I am well versed with Willys utility wiring stuff is that I redid the complete wiring of my jeepster back in the late 1970's. I was mildly exposed to wiring at work and did most of the wiring with 12 gauge wire and crimp-on connectors for heavy circuits and 14 gauge on the smaller. I did a lot of inline fuses which turned out to be a pain trying to find out where the damn things were. I spent a lot of my professional career wiring machinery and control panels for about 40 years after that.
When I redid the Jeepster, I cutout all the inline and put in a fuse box out of something else and cleaned up a couple more areas. But before I completed this restoration, I changed bodies and just cut everything electrical out and bought a hot rod 22 circuit harness. I spent a lot of time laying it out and with my experience behind me, really did a good job with everything and most circuits dropped a wire size or more.

Attachments

• 2011-09-14_15-21-22_288.jpg
    2011-09-14_15-21-22_288.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3941.JPG
    IMG_3941.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC01177.JPG
    DSC01177.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7598.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7603.JPG
    IMG_7603.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7604.JPG
    IMG_7604.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8401.JPG
    IMG_8401.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8447.JPG
    IMG_8447.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8492.JPG
    IMG_8492.JPG
    913 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8498.JPG
    IMG_8498.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8523.JPG
    IMG_8523.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
Nice Job Kenny! Very professional and looks like factory. This is how it should be done, why do people spend the time and then for a little extra time do it right because in the long run if not done correctly you will have problems, like I am having with my car, you will never have problems with your electrical Kenny!

If they like Kenny in the late 1970s had minimal or no experience, they did the best that they knew how to. It was not the best job, but the rig was back on the road, so...

Matt, yes I understand if it was "Back in the day" when the car was needed for a daily driver; but when it is a collector vehicle there is absolutely no rush to get it back on the road and there is plenty of time to make repairs or modifications. This car I own was "Restored" less than 10 years ago. That is my criticism and I feel it is justified.

If it was represented as "Restored", then You have every right to be upset. That is serious misrepresentation.

I would wonder what else have they done in this slip shod way? Look close at everything, you can not trust them on anything.

If it was represented as "Restored", then You have every right to be upset. That is serious misrepresentation.

I would wonder what else have they done in this slip shod way? Look close at everything, you can not trust them on anything.
Matt, I am finding many, many as you say "Slip Shod" work, just crazy anyone would shortcut a restoration the guy I bought the car from is 87 and had restored about 15 years ago.
Fortunately the car was always garaged so she is completely rust free, anyway I like working on these cars and in the process of doing a complete brake job now and replacing all the incorrect wire issues. All is well I am not disappointed in the car I will get many miles of smiles before this summer is over

The AMP gauge always reads not charging and then when I put my meter on the + & - battery posts it jumps all over the place. The Battery wire is still hooked up to voltage regular and there is a wire from the alternator small gauge black wire that goes to the negative post of coil which i was told "Excites" the alternator. Can anyone tell me how to run the wires correctly?

This is my 2nd Jeepster the 1st one is still under a body off frame restoration which will be restored to 100% original
Amp gauges are one of the biggest causes of wiring fires, in old vehicles. Full voltage present full time. Lot of old vehicle have burnt up while parked or stored. I change all mine to a Voltmeter, only has current when ignition is on. Or, put a battery disconnect in, and use it religiously.

The only thing fed by the negative terminal on the coil is the points & maybe a condenser. Otherwise you run the risk of burning your coil out by pulling too many amps through it.

If the alternator needs a field "exciting" feed, take it from the ignition switch. If you take it from the positive terminal on the coil, you may overload the wire from the ignition switch to the coil as you would be feeding two items through a wire that is supposed to only feed one, the coil.

I personally like to have both the ammeter & a volt meter. I have not had any issues with ammeters. IME, they are not, "one of the biggest causes of wiring fires" If your wiring is in good shape & the gauge is installed properly it is not an issue. On the other hand if your wiring is in bad shape, +/or the ammeter is installed incorrectly, It can be an issue.

The same is true of voltmeters, but the wiring for a volt meter is small enough that it will fry quickly & usually not start a fire.

As far as having "Full voltage present full time". Even if you eliminate the ammeter, you will have "Full voltage present full time", at both the ignition switch & the headlight switch. Not to mention the horn & the brake lights. If you are worried about this, install a battery disconnect in between the battery & the switches.

The original wiring system worked well for over 50 years. I would make sure that the wiring is in good shape. If I have any questions about the condition of the harness, I buy a new one. It is cheap insurance & has the added benefit of no shorts or bad connections to chase.

I would remove the generator regulator from the electrical system. This will eliminate any "back feeding" that may be happening with the alternator. Again, less wiring to cause you grief.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Back