Jan 22, 2011
Hailey, ID
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
I thought I would finally start a build thread for my '51 wagon that I bought in June '12. Here are a few pictures of what it looked like when we picked it up in Oregon. Bought this for my first car, I hope to have it drivable by the time i get my drivers license in march of '13.

more to come,

Joseph

joesnewwagon08.jpg

Loading onto the trailer in Oregon
joesnewwagon01.jpg

joesnewwagon02.jpg

joesnewwagon03.jpg

joesnewwagon04.jpg

joesnewwagon05.jpg

First stop, car wash!
joesnewwagon07.jpg

joesnewwagon06.jpg

joesnewwagon09.jpg

joesnewwagon10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Joseph's '53 Wagon Build

It had a frozen slant six in it that had been put in by someone that knew nothing about anything. They had also torched a hole in the firewall and bolted an oil pan over the hole that had been adjusted to fit.

here we finally remove the boat anchor.

after we got all the wires, cables, and other stuff out we stepped back and the firewall resembled swiss cheese

Joseph

Attachments

• littlefallcr10.jpg
    littlefallcr10.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 819
  • littlefallcr15.jpg
    littlefallcr15.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 738
  • littlefallcr21.jpg
    littlefallcr21.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • littlefallcr28.jpg
    littlefallcr28.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 726

Actually looks like a fairly good body to start with, the fenders and doors don't look rusted out. Going to need a lot of patching on that firewall for sure, but the time saved on bodywork on the outside will help get it done by your deadline.

joseph,

Congrats on your new vehicle! Those slant sixes were decent engines... if you can find another one that runs. My '65 wagon with the Tornado six has a recessed firewall to allow for the long engine. If you could find a wrecked Willys, you might be able to cut out the proper Willys firewall recess and adapt it to your wagon. It all depends on the engine you want to use. Of course, there are many options from small diesels and V6s, to Ford Pickup (originally Pinto) fuel injected fours.

All the best with your project and your deadline.

Pavel

Hey Joseph, you got yourself a real nice wagon to build up there. And it has the 5 bar grill; my favorite. I hope you enjoy the journey. I will send you one of my solid linkage wiper kits when you are ready. Up there in snow country, you'll be glad you don't have the cables. I also have a ton of other wagon stuff you can have.

Subscribed!!!

If you need a reference pic of what the firewall should've looked like:

000_0004closeup.jpg

Good luck with the project.

Great way to start out with a willys congrats and the best of luck on your build :cheers:

Midnightburn said:
...I will send you one of my solid linkage wiper kits when you are ready. Up there in snow country, you'll be glad you don't have the cables....

We might need to talk you out of two of those... :D

Pete

Here are some pictures axles and springs that I'm going to use. The axles are narrow track Daina 44s from a '76 wagoner.

The front springs are for a YJ and the backs are for an XJ. I bought them from bds suspension and they have a 3" lift.

Starting to get really excited,

Joseph

Attachments

• 76dana44axles.jpg
    76dana44axles.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 324
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 316
  • springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 321

pavel6 said:
joseph,

Congrats on your new vehicle! Those slant sixes were decent engines... if you can find another one that runs. My '65 wagon with the Tornado six has a recessed firewall to allow for the long engine. If you could find a wrecked Willys, you might be able to cut out the proper Willys firewall recess and adapt it to your wagon. It all depends on the engine you want to use. Of course, there are many options from small diesels and V6s, to Ford Pickup (originally Pinto) fuel injected fours.

All the best with your project and your deadline.

Pavel
I might redo the firewall completely from the bottom of the dash down but i'm not quite sure. and in terms of an engine i think 'm going to do a little Chevy 350 v8. there will be plenty of planning and speculating but i don't think i'll start cutting untill i get an engine.

If you are really thinking of a "little" Chevy V8, consider getting rid of the rear mounted distributor and installing a Ford EDIS. The distributor less ignition is very good and completely programmable. Forgive me for pointing out that there are smaller V8s - some people recommend a Ford 289/302, which could be very nice coupled to a T19 all synchro box and your D18 transfer case.

Great looking project Joe, I know you will do good. I also know Dad there to back you up. Good luck. :thumbup:

You scored on the 44's. The front has flat top knuckles, which opens up possibilities for high top steering arms and much better steering geometry. Now if you can, find a Saginaw steering box with 76 stamped into the case. Many Wagoneers had this one. They are stronger and come with 4 mounting tabs. You'll want that too. At this current time, my friends reported that Jalopy Jungle in Nampa has many Wagoneers and all of them have 76 model PS boxes.

A few months ago, Midnightburn offered to sell Joseph his wagon frame... Needless to say, we jumped at the chance! Kevin spent countless hours building this frame for his wagon, and has done a bunch of cool details. The frame is extended and set up for the same springs we already bought, is boxed, has the Saginaw steering mount already there, underfloor battery box, and much more. Kevin gave Joseph an awesome deal on the frame to help him get a jump start on the build. Joseph put a bunch of my old Plymouth parts on ebay and made just about enough to pay for it. This is going to save us months and months of time and head scratching, and untold $$$. Thanks a million Kevin, your help with Joseph's build has been very kind, and has inspired Joseph to keep moving forward with the project.

Here's few pics of the frame, stolen from Midnight's build thread-

Pete

Attachments

• Paintedframe6.jpg
    Paintedframe6.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Paintedframe2.jpg
    Paintedframe2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 285
scramboleer said:
That's gorgeous. Call me ignorant, but what are the hoops for?

Scramboleer

The hoops are shock towers.

Pete

Where did you put the underfloor batterybox?
I wanted to put it at the passenger side rear behind the factory spare tire location, but would have to shorten the exhaust so that it exits in front of the rear wheel (Tornado exhaust runs the length of the passenger side)

Pavel

pavel6 said:
Where did you put the underfloor batterybox?
I wanted to put it at the passenger side rear behind the factory spare tire location, but would have to shorten the exhaust so that it exits in front of the rear wheel (Tornado exhaust runs the length of the passenger side)

Pavel

Pavel-

The battery box is on the passenger side, and swings down. We might have to move it for the passenger side transfercase drop...

A few more photos grabbed from Midnight' build thread..

Pete

Attachments

• Batterymounted.jpg
    Batterymounted.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Enginemounted2.jpg
    Enginemounted2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 288
Back