Jeep or Early Ford Bronco

lbpa18

Precision Fit
First Name
Lew
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Ive had both for decades. I like the Bronco for interior roominess and ride. I think the Jeep is a better 4X4. The current sky-high prices for the Bronco are not reflective of its off-road ability. Though ours are not modified at all, both have lots of aftermarket mods to improve the vehicles in almost any way you'd want.

First Name
Leonard
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
whew _ _ _ _ a nice clean restored early Bronco is way out of my league of $$$$ available.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1962/Willys-Motors-Kaiser/Pickup/1-Ton-4x4/Values

I tend to think the Nada values are realistic because the pricing is based on active value data per resale and insurance values gathered.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1972/Ford/Bronco/2-Door-Utility-4x4/Values

Looks like it is about 2:1 according to Nada. But that could be different in real-life on the street.

IMG_7597.JPG

The above photo is of a buddies '72 resto.
I helped him paint it back in October 2018. a body-off resto. The chassis is super-trick. IMG_7596.JPG

Yep, that is a NP 435 granny 4-spd transmission

May be a good trans-swap candidate for an early Willys. :)

What is in your Wallet _ _ _

First Name
Leonard
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
I have no idea on the single range. But, some of the late '60's Ford pickups had a single speed t-case behind the 4-spd pickup transmission in 4x's.

David - you are right where i am too, and can barely afford an old '46 Willys, but did get the wife's approval, cause it was cheap.
There is no way i could afford an early Bronco today. right !

skratch

Bigger Hammer
First Name
john
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
I have no idea on the single range. But, some of the late '60's Ford pickups had a single speed t-case behind the 4-spd pickup transmission in 4x's.

David - you are right where i am too, and can barely afford an old '46 Willys, but did get the wife's approval, cause it was cheap.
There is no way i could afford an early Bronco today. right !

Thanks Leonard, I had one of the Ford PU's with the single speed transfer case, I think it was a 76 model.

Last edited:
First Name
Leonard
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
John,
Yep, I have one in a '66 Ford F-110 pickup. I don't even know what the F-110 model is, but this pickup must be a heavy-duty version of the F-100 series, because it has a Dana 60 rear with 5-lug flanged axles ! _ _ and it has the single-speed transfer case behind a granny 4-speed with kind of a long adapter maybe 4-inches. So the single speed must have been one of the first of the "married" style T-cases.

The older Wagons if set-up properly are Very Capable in my opinion. My wife and kids were on the high-trail above the slabs between the Little Sluice box and Buck Island Reservoir on the Rubicon trail one summer maybe 1995, we were stopped taking a break, and a nice early bronco pulled up. It is always fun to visit with other wheelers, and he had a pretty trick Bronco. He took the high trail so he could drop down through what is called the Big-Old-Sluice which comes back into the side-hill trail down the Slabs near-to Buck Island reservoir. He pointed down the slabs to the rest of his group, which was 3-older Willys Wagons. I never did get to see them in person, but they moved right through with no hold-ups at all.
If I remember correctly, they were from Utah.
The benefit of the Bronco is it's short wheelbase over the Wagons. The metal tops are heavy and cumbersome to remove.

Looking back over traveling that Rubicon trail from 1983 to 2001, some of the most impressive rigs for agility, were the late '90's Cherokee's with the Long-Arm kits and Terra-Low gears and ARB air lockers front and rear. They had Articulation like Spiderman.

I'm IN for the Willys Wagon ! brown 52 [1b].png
brown 52 [1c].png brown 52 [1a].png
In the above photos, it looks like the wagon has a pickup 4-speed trans with the long staff !

Last edited:
First Name
john
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
I know where an early Bronco is setting, noticed some of the rear lights were missing, I thought about checking it out further
before I bought my 58 CJ5. I'll try to do that soon and let the members know in case someone might be interested.

Thanks all,
John