First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
  2. 1964
I purchased the firewall panel as well as the wagon interior kit for the roof, side panels and front floor board from Quiet Ride Solutions.

Everything is precut as a kit which is specific to your vehicle. T

The firewall panel I purchased was specifically cut for my wagon with the 6-230 OHC engine and it was exact for every cutout and mounting point.

I have installed everything already except for the front floor board.
The noise level (or lack of) is amazing -- you go from a tin can to a very solid panel that doesn't vibrate which reduces sound amplification. also, the change on temperature is significant as well.

Dickson-20140401-00102.jpgDickson-20140401-00101.jpgDickson-20140401-00100.jpg

I was somewhat skeptical as to how much of an impact this would have but I highly recommend this product.

Greg

Last edited:

Pivnic

Well Oiled
Nov 24, 2009
Conifer, Colorado
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Hi Greg. Does this stuff have a sticky backing on the back, and does that hold it up on the ceiling really good? Will it STAY Up There? Will the shiny side take paint? I don't have very much room up there due to my full roll cage. I've heard that Home Depot or Lowes has something similar to this. Thanks, Pivnic

Greg5565

Well Oiled
Oct 3, 2013
Brentwood, TN
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
  2. 1964
there are 2 primary components to the kit(s). there is the dynamat that is peal and stick and there is the heat shield that uses a spray adhesive. having sprayed and mis-stuck, I would say that heat shield will disintegrate before the adhesive lets go. on the dynamat, I do not see it coming free short of a fire.

Bill Kuran

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 14, 2009
Potomac, MD
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I purchased the firewall panel as well as the wagon interior kit for the roof, side panels and front floor board from Quiet Ride Solutions.

Everything is precut as a kit which is specific to your vehicle. T

The firewall panel I purchased was specifically cut for my wagon with the 6-230 OHC engine and it was exact for every cutout and mounting point.

I have installed everything already except for the front floor board.
The noise level (or lack of) is amazing -- you go from a tin can to a very solid panel that doesn't vibrate which reduces sound amplification. also, the change on temperature is significant as well.

View attachment 19299View attachment 19300View attachment 19301

I was somewhat skeptical as to how much of an impact this would have but I highly recommend this product.

Greg

Is it also in the doors?

Greg5565

Well Oiled
Oct 3, 2013
Brentwood, TN
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
  2. 1964
Yes, I purchased the full kit for the station wagon and it includes the doors. They also sell much of the items individually as well versus the entire kit.

dahreno

Well Oiled
Mar 21, 2012
Reno
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
They don't really say but, do you know if they make a plastic headliner for a wagon? They do for the trucks and panel wagons but I don't see anything for a wagon. It looks like the one for the panel is only for the front .

Greg5565

Well Oiled
Oct 3, 2013
Brentwood, TN
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
  2. 1964
Give them a call -- in looking at their Willys catalog, I am thinking the Willys Panel Delivery Truck Molded Headliner is a complete roof headliner, it just doesn't show the 3 sections for the roof. They were very helpful when I called them.

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I've heard that Home Depot or Lowes has something similar to this. Thanks, Pivnic

We just started putting a layer of the "peel and stick" stuff from Lowes on Joseph's firewall and floor. It definitely is not the same as Dynamat... The rubbery stuff is thinner, and it seems like the aluminum face is too. It does not seem to have the same sound dampening ability as Dynamat. It is however, relatively cheap at $19 a roll. We are going to put two layers on the front floor and firewall and see how it does.

Pete

Pivnic

Well Oiled
Nov 24, 2009
Conifer, Colorado
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
We just started putting a layer of the "peel and stick" stuff from Lowes on Joseph's firewall and floor. It definitely is not the same as Dynamat... The rubbery stuff is thinner, and it seems like the aluminum face is too. It does not seem to have the same sound dampening ability as Dynamat. It is however, relatively cheap at $19 a roll. We are going to put two layers on the front floor and firewall and see how it does.
Pete

Hey Pete, do you think this stuff that you used from Lowes will Stick on and STAY on the Ceiling? How thick is it? I'm about ready to do Floyd's ceiling and this stuff was going to be my choice as well. Thanks, Pivnic

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Hey Pete, do you think this stuff that you used from Lowes will Stick on and STAY on the Ceiling? How thick is it? I'm about ready to do Floyd's ceiling and this stuff was going to be my choice as well. Thanks, Pivnic

I don't think we are going to risk it on the ceiling. I would use Dynamat. On my Plymouth, I put a 30" square of Dynamat in the middle, and it completely stopped any drum action in the sheetmetal, and then I used spray adhesive to glue a layer of foil faced bubble stuff for insulation. Probably do something similar on Joseph's wagon.

There's a great u-tube vid comparing various types of this stuff, heated in an oven and then pealed off. I'll see if I can find it and like it here.

Pete

TinkerToyII

Well Oiled
Aug 16, 2010
Grand Junction, Colorado - Ivins ,Utah
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1956
John Boy, you need to look at this material, when I went to pick up some tools from a guy on Craigslist he showed me what he used on his Model A and in fact gave me the rest of the roll he had. This is really cool stuff, he also gave me a can of the spray adhesive that he said if you spray both the material and the surface you are going to apply it to it will never come off...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/bonded-logic-heat/sound-insulation/p2010475.jcwx?filterid=u0j1

dahreno

Well Oiled
Mar 21, 2012
Reno
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Yup, I remember that video. The peel and stick did very well by comparison and was a winner in my eye, for the price. I noticed a huge difference when I did the inside of my doors and the rear panels. I have never used Dynamat or any of the other name brands so I have nothing to compare it to. It is pretty rare for me to feel like I get my moneys worth but at that price a roll and the difference it made, it was well worth it. I would encourage anyone to go ahead and spend the $20 bucks and just try it maybe inside a door, or a rear panel.Thump the panel and hear it sound like a steel drum, stick some down try the thump test again. That's what I did then I was sold. But that's just me, my wagon is pretty different then most, it's big, loud to begin with so, maybe my concerns aren't that of if I had a more stock truck.

beewhisper1

Precision Fit
Jan 29, 2012
Voluntown Ct
First Name
Chet
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Yup, I remember that video. The peel and stick did very well by comparison and was a winner in my eye, for the price. I noticed a huge difference when I did the inside of my doors and the rear panels. I have never used Dynamat or any of the other name brands so I have nothing to compare it to. It is pretty rare for me to feel like I get my moneys worth but at that price a roll and the difference it made, it was well worth it. I would encourage anyone to go ahead and spend the $20 bucks and just try it maybe inside a door, or a rear panel.Thump the panel and hear it sound like a steel drum, stick some down try the thump test again. That's what I did then I was sold. But that's just me, my wagon is pretty different then most, it's big, loud to begin with so, maybe my concerns aren't that of if I had a more stock truck.

How much of this stuff does it take to cover the inside of a wagon?

oruna1

Sharpest Tool
Apr 28, 2011
Long Island, New York
First Name
Ron
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Pete,
It doesn't seem like the lowes stuff would conform to compound curve areas since it has a foil facing. The roof of the pickups is almost entirely compound curves so putting the foil faced stuff on the roof would wrinkle like crazy. In short in order to compensate for the curves it would have to be cut up in ribbons and applied. Since you have the stuff what do you think?

Ron

Garth

Well Oiled
Dec 26, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
First Name
Garth
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Greg

Perhaps a silly question but as a greenhorn I think I can get away with some of them. So say you apply the sound and heat dampening and some time later you make a decision to do a total re spray, can you remove this material and reapply it? Or would you have to repurchase new material?

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
How much of this stuff does it take to cover the inside of a wagon?

The peel and stick stuff comes in a 6" wide roll, 25' long or 12.5 square feet... I'll let you do the math :)

Pete,
It doesn't seem like the lowes stuff would conform to compound curve areas since it has a foil facing. The roof of the pickups is almost entirely compound curves so putting the foil faced stuff on the roof would wrinkle like crazy. In short in order to compensate for the curves it would have to be cut up in ribbons and applied. Since you have the stuff what do you think?

Ron

Ron- The "Peel and Stick" applies much like Dynamat, in that it will stretch some to fit into odd shapes. In order to stick it to a deep compound curve though, like the inside corner of the roof, it would need to be pie cut. It is easy to cut though, you can cut it with scissors. I use a wooden wall paper seam roller to press it down, and I also have an old roller that the wheel broke off of, so now it is just the metal spindle which is handy to press the stuff down in tight corners. It helps to have the surface and the material nice and warm too. And, like anything else, the surface needs to be clean and free of anything that will come off like loose paint, dirt, etc. The stuff will stick to whatever is loose, and then fall off...

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

willys4wagon

Sharpest Tool
Dec 29, 2009
Iowa
Willys Model
Willys Year:
John Boy, you need to look at this material, when I went to pick up some tools from a guy on Craigslist he showed me what he used on his Model A and in fact gave me the rest of the roll he had. This is really cool stuff, he also gave me a can of the spray adhesive that he said if you spray both the material and the surface you are going to apply it to it will never come off...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/bonded-logic-heat/sound-insulation/p2010475.jcwx?filterid=u0j1

Looking at the bonded logic can you use the spray adhesive on both the foil side and the fiber side?

I have looked at the laminate floor sound deadners at menards and lowes and they look interesting also.