Aug 17, 2014
fairview,nc
First Name
tom
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Where do you find the 6 volt regulator for the instruments? What would happen with a 12v-6v regulator and what would happen without the regulator? Enough questions? Thx, Tom

Willys America has em. Maybe Walcks too.

Not sure what you mean with, 'what would happen with a 12v-6v regulator"? If you mean using a voltage drop reg so your truck can use 12v with 6v gauges, then it can be done. I did it on my truck. Without a reg at all your gauges get too much voltage and the gauge readings are inaccurate. I preferred an adjustable Drok regulator and I tuned the voltage to make the gauges accurate. That and using sending units with appropriate resistance and zeroing the gauges themselves. Takes a lot of work to make the OE gauges accurate but it's doable.

If there would be a application for a 12V-6V regulator with individually adjustable outputs for each gauge, I'd be happy to help with designing and building such a thing. Would give me a reason to spend more time with my new PCB assembly machines. And of course help the community which has been plenty helpful to me.

Ira

If there would be a application for a 12V-6V regulator with individually adjustable outputs for each gauge, I'd be happy to help with designing and building such a thing. Would give me a reason to spend more time with my new PCB assembly machines. And of course help the community which has been plenty helpful to me.

Ira
I've daydreamed about this... how to support those Willys folks who want to keep the look of the original 6V gauges with a modern powertrain and its 12V system.

Steve @Sparky Powers created these for his Wagon.
Steve Sparky Power gauges.png
Pretty amazing, IMO.

Well, if someone could tell me the current requirements of the gauges and how many there are, I'd be happy to prototype one for someone to try.

This is what I do for a living and that gives me access to design and build all sorts of useful stuff for automotive needs: www.fishtuning.com

I guess more correctly, my wife and I own the business and I can make anything I want within our capabilities.

Ira

I use some regulators I bought on Amazon, drop the voltage to about 4V. They are cheap about 10-12 bucks apiece. This is for the 57 speedo and gauges.

I use some regulators I bought on Amazon, drop the voltage to about 4V. They are cheap about 10-12 bucks apiece. This is for the 57 speedo and gauges.
How do you alter the voltage on a regulator? Thx, tomc5

These regulators have a potentiometer with an adjusting screw on the side. It will adjust the output DC voltage as you turn the screw.
I just looked up on amazon, did you use 6v in and 4 out ? I have a 53 truck on 6v. if so how did you check the output?

Well, if someone could tell me the current requirements of the gauges and how many there are, I'd be happy to prototype one for someone to try.

This is what I do for a living and that gives me access to design and build all sorts of useful stuff for automotive needs: www.fishtuning.com

I guess more correctly, my wife and I own the business and I can make anything I want within our capabilities.

Ira
That would be interesting as I am about ready to add a third unit to my Jeepster. I am set about 4.5 volts feeding all. I have the ability to check the amps but am about 5 months away from my meters and jeep.

I just looked up on amazon, did you use 6v in and 4 out ? I have a 53 truck on 6v. if so how did you check the output?
I bought two, one was 5-32V input to 1-27V 5A output and the other was 8-35V input to 1.5-24v 5A output. For a six volt system, try to find the 5-32V input. I hooked a meter to the output wires and turned the output voltage up/down until I got the 4.5 volts I wanted (mighta been 4.9 volts). I came up with this voltage by wiring up gauges, battery and sending units on the bench. I then played around with the gas sending unit/gauge by hand, the temp unit/ guage with hot water, and oil pressure/gauge with air compressor.
I put the second unit in because the temp wasn't working after installation so I bought the 2nd voltage regulator just in case all the gauges were pulling too much power BUT it ended up being a bad temp sending unit that was new when I installed this.

Where do you find the 6 volt regulator for the instruments? What would happen with a 12v-6v regulator and what would happen without the regulator? Enough questions? Thx, Tom

To fix that, I decided to build my own regulator https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/pickup-49-l134.4600/post-68511

If you don't put the regulator, your gauges would have incorrect measures, you might think that since they are "analog/mechanic" gauges you can adjust them to display the correct value with 12 volt input, but in the reality, they cant be graduated that far (I've tried) and they might break in the long run.

As Joe said you can put a regulator they come in all flavors, just make sure that your setup doesn't drain the battery when not used.

X3iE0VJrqDo3cIAmQ0B1jHN490adkzDg_h7jf7-21kjI_VqHEr4zXv7iifdGMPr2U1Hu9DpglGe3urckDP81gGG8TdtQ-bQqBSn-a7NS-fnFp3QHeMBLM0vr2Uihc9X0-2Xwv7Sy1O4=w1920-h1080

This one it's from last weekend on a cold start, fuel sensor and amperemeter disconnected
(also missing the light button. I lost it, it was a NOS one :confused:)

Last edited:
To fix that, I decided to build my own regulator https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/pickup-49-l134.4600/post-68511

X3iE0VJrqDo3cIAmQ0B1jHN490adkzDg_h7jf7-21kjI_VqHEr4zXv7iifdGMPr2U1Hu9DpglGe3urckDP81gGG8TdtQ-bQqBSn-a7NS-fnFp3QHeMBLM0vr2Uihc9X0-2Xwv7Sy1O4=w1920-h1080

This one it's from last weekend on a cold start, fuel sensor and amperemeter disconnected
(also missing the light button. I lost it, it was a NOS one :confused:)

@Sunset, that's a sweet gauge set. Thanks for taking the time to post the details. Sent you a private message (PM) via the forum about your missing "L" knob. I may have a well-used replacement that would at least work until you find a NOS one.

Back