Oct 10, 2019
Bainbridge Island WA
First Name
William
Willys Model
  1. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Good mornin all. Someone put a rear (8) leaf spring on the front of my FC 150. Looking for a (7) leaf spring for my narrow track FC 150. Anyone know where to buy one?

Looks like it. I do have two front HD (I think) 8 leaf springs. I'm trying to find the load rating difference between the two, but I'm probably going to go with a dauntless v6 swap, so HD springs may be a better choice

The HD FC 150 springs were for a snowplow package. Most of those where I am had the HD springs and they all had snowplows. ( New England)
diggerG

The 999529 is only rated at 800lbs each fine for a cj 5 not a FC, a FC with engine puts more weight than that on the front springs, find 10 leaf or build your own...Phil

Hello,

I just joined the forum.

My '57 FC150 has a lean to the left. I replaced the leaf springs and it still has the lean. Does anyone else have this problem and is there any solutions out there for this?

Thanks,

Ken

Thanks Joe. I did some measuring. It is clearly the leaf springs. Left one is almost flat and the right one has a nice curve to it. So either my left spring is sprung or the left side of the truck just weighs that much more then the right. I plan to switch the left and right springs tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. Funny becuase all 4 springs are relativity new.

Very good plan, Ken.
Swapping them will definitely provide useful information.

Check out the pages from the Service Manual below, however.

From the Specifications, notice that the original narrow track spring packs had about 1/2" difference between the left and right (when subjected to 950 lbs) Design Cambers.

You might want to consider taking your spring packs to a good spring shop and having them -- or at least one of them -- reworked to match the specifications.

(Ya just gotta love these oddball trucks!)

...and William,
Apologies for sidetracking your thread.

Springs.jpgSpecifications Table.jpg

1585394421846.png

Welcome to OWF Ken!
Have a look at http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/causes-for-the-willys-lean.117099/.

Take a few measurements, and check the condition of the body mounts.
Ultimately, you might need to get a larger dog for the passenger seat.

Larger dog? Man, you are polite! I would suggest a fat sidekick, not gender specific!
Ken, are your 2 front springs off of the same truck? used? Used springs are a crap shoot. And those FC 150 narrows were poorly engineered. Yeah, I know, that was Willys' never-ending problem.
diggerG

So I did the left right switch and I still have the left lean. The springs are new Crown Springs bought from Jim at willysjeepparts.com about 3 years ago. I emailed Jim asking him if the springs I bought meet the FC150 spec. Next step is to find a scale and weight the two sides separately.

Attachments

• 20200329_151721.jpg
    20200329_151721.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200329_151710.jpg
    20200329_151710.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 7
Not sure anyone cares, but here is what I learned, this is with no driver. Left front 1060 lbs and right front 940 lbs. So 120 lbs different. Now I need to see if 120 lbs is enough to affect my spring that much and what I need to do to fix it. It looks like I am heading towards having different spec'd spring left and right.

Not sure anyone cares, but here is what I learned, this is with no driver. Left front 1060 lbs and right front 940 lbs. So 120 lbs different. Now I need to see if 120 lbs is enough to affect my spring that much and what I need to do to fix it. It looks like I am heading towards having different spec'd spring left and right.

Actually, that is interesting news to me. Thanks for posting.

I know that CJ5/6s leaned left quite a bit and this was never resolved other than with a "metal block" installed by the dealership later on. Perhaps this issue was also present on the early FC 150s because of the CJ5 chassis use? Here is a discussion on the subject:

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/the-cj-lean.111462/

Back