Ignition switch

GGOLZ

Bigger Hammer
Mar 29, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Went to put in the ignition switch I had laying in a box of parts and it's hitting the bottom of the gauge on the back side. Evidently the wrong switch. Looking at some of the universal switches walcks and others are selling and they all look like the one I have.

Does someone have a picture of an original (or an after market one that works)? My wagon is a 55, has about a 7/8" hole (going from memory) with a little tang at the top. The switch I have has about a 5/8" base with a nut and chrome keeper nut and back side of switch looks to be about 1-3/4" in diameter which is part hitting the gauge. Lot of room in the hole and switch angled still floats around alot.

Kaiser Willys offers one (expensive) that they say is original style but from the pictures I really can't tell the shaft size or if it is designed to work with the tang I have.

Thanks Glen

Herk

Precision Fit
Dec 24, 2011
Boise, ID
First Name
Nate
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
There was a switch that was used in the mid 50's that had a ring that said "STARTER" which your Jeep probably originally had. In 1960 or so the switch changed to the thread-on bezel like the replacements have. Later Jeeps had a "STARTER" bezel switch but the diameter was smaller. The early switch is getting hard to find, the replacements work fine.

mathman

Well Oiled
Mar 14, 2012
AR
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
  2. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
  2. 1964
Went to put in the ignition switch I had laying in a box of parts and it's hitting the bottom of the gauge on the back side. Evidently the wrong switch. Looking at some of the universal switches walcks and others are selling and they all look like the one I have.

Does someone have a picture of an original (or an after market one that works)? My wagon is a 55, has about a 7/8" hole (going from memory) with a little tang at the top. The switch I have has about a 5/8" base with a nut and chrome keeper nut and back side of switch looks to be about 1-3/4" in diameter which is part hitting the gauge. Lot of room in the hole and switch angled still floats around alot.

Kaiser Willys offers one (expensive) that they say is original style but from the pictures I really can't tell the shaft size or if it is designed to work with the tang I have.

Thanks Glen
This might help:

Jeffjjeep

Sharpest Tool
Mar 17, 2019
Central New Mexico
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957