Feb 12, 2016
North Lawrence,Ohio
First Name
Frank
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
When I was about 14 years old my Grandpa had a 40 something Willys coupe. He drove it to work at Union Drawn Steel in Massillon,Ohio. He would also take Grandma and I to Sunny Slope Orchard which was just a few miles from home. I can remember riding in the back seat and looking over the top of the front seat to see where we were going. We would all get an ice cream cone and Grandpa would fill the glass gallon jugs he brought along with fresh apple cider right out of the wooden barrel. Those were the days and I would go back there in a heartbeat. One day a young guy followed Grandpa home from work and made Grandpa an offer for his old beater Willys work car. I can still rember seeing it drive up the lane for the last time. Now every time I see one of these cars I wonder if it was Grandpas.

I have been looking for one of these for years. They are way way out of my price range. Even a fiberglass reproduction roller is 20 grand. So I keep looking at videos and dreaming. Well this morning I found this video of this very rare unmolested all origional Willys coupe. It is the first one I have seen in over 50 years.

Here it is. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Frank

Yeah, almost all Willys Coupes ended up Tubed with a streight front axle and a Blown A-Gas Hemi under the hood.

I used to deliver landscape materials and one day I went to a house to do a barkdust delivery I noticed a Willys sign on the shop. I asked to woman about it and she said he husband was working on a Willys pickup. Well thinking it was a Jeep I asked if I could see it being a Willys jeep owner and all. She said sure. She opens the man door I step inside and there is the cutest 1940 Willys Pickup about 90% finished and from the looks of it close to 95% accurate restoration 134L and all She said her husband had searched all over the country for the correct parts. It had been his grandpas farm truck.

I would sure like to see that truck again some where that was 20 years ago. I'm sure its done by now.

When I was about 14 years old my Grandpa had a 40 something Willys coupe. He drove it to work at Union Drawn Steel in Massillon,Ohio. He would also take Grandma and I to Sunny Slope Orchard which was just a few miles from home. I can remember riding in the back seat and looking over the top of the front seat to see where we were going. We would all get an ice cream cone and Grandpa would fill the glass gallon jugs he brought along with fresh apple cider right out of the wooden barrel. Those were the days and I would go back there in a heartbeat. One day a young guy followed Grandpa home from work and made Grandpa an offer for his old beater Willys work car. I can still rember seeing it drive up the lane for the last time. Now every time I see one of these cars I wonder if it was Grandpas.

I have been looking for one of these for years. They are way way out of my price range. Even a fiberglass reproduction roller is 20 grand. So I keep looking at videos and dreaming. Well this morning I found this video of this very rare unmolested all origional Willys coupe. It is the first one I have seen in over 50 years.

Here it is. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Frank
Timeless design

What a gem, Frank. My dad owned a junk/scrap yard growing up, and sometime in the late 60's one passed through. My older brothers begged my dad for it............no dice, they got decent money back then.

So cool to see one in it's natural state. Those lines are timeless. The balance, the stance. Can't really blame folks in the day for rodding and modding them with that power plant. Thanks Frank!

Wow! A real Unicorn! You're right, there can't be more than a handful that still exist stock. Boy, that powerplant is almost identical to my 4 cyl truck.

That powerplant IS identical to your truck. I believe a 1942 Willys car still should have had the pre war engine in it. This engine is a military replacement I think. The orig. pre war engine had a different head and the block casting had the round cylinder bore type casting on the side of the block.
diggerG

DID not the earlier engine also have a different thermostat housing. I believe it should be a 2 hole not a three hole. SO I agree not the original engine.

Must have the front bumper delete option. I can't believe one survived the '60's and '70's when they were dirt cheap rodding fodder.

DID not the earlier engine also have a different thermostat housing. I believe it should be a 2 hole not a three hole. SO I agree not the original engine.

You are correct! 2 holes 3 was the military upgrade. I actually have that pre war Willys engine in storage. Good block!
diggerG

Back