Hunting with the Willys in the 1950's

Dang. Just found this. Except for the part pushing thru the mud toward the end, this could have been a Willys marketing video. Real quality four-wheeling for a purpose, in a utility vehicle unmatched in design. I can see why you wanted one of your own and why you want the dark color. In the video the paint is still shiny. Thanks for letting us watch. Those of us who grew up with these in the mountains probably have similar memories, but mine was a wagon. I just wish I had cool video to look at. I have always driven four-wheel drive trucks as the primary vehicle. But none that I have had could go where that Willys truck went so effortlessly. Still have the wagon, maybe need a truck too...

Thanks for the kind words. I had never even seen this video or knew it existed when I bought my truck. I had only seen a picture of that hunting trip and a couple other pics of the Willys. That was all I needed to inspire me to get one. Didn't hurt that I have always been an off-road guy and loved the look of the Willys too.

Are you sure you didn't download this from PETA's website? :)
LMAO Thanks Doge. ;) I shouldn't have read this at work! I have seen PETA stand for more than one thing though. I once saw a bumper sticker that said People Eating Tasty Animals. Not something I would put on my truck but it did make me smile.

BrokeJeepNut

There's very few things I enjoy more in life than my old Willys and one of them is buck hunting great footage of some great times I'm sure thanks for sharing

Best Willy's video I have seen hands down. 4 Wheeling and hunting.. some of my favorite things! Thank you for sharing!

Just found this. Incredible video on so many levels. Thanks for sharing it's been a long time since seeing a shiny jeep truck. This makes you re-think the stats on these trucks away from #'s of capacity to what it can hold,like 3 elk, or 5 mule deer or in our case 32 boxes of oranges (#3040). A friend bought a Husky airplane years ago and the manual did not list carrying capacity in numbers but as number of deer,elk,etc it was capable of carrying. Also noticed a distinct lack of cammo clothing back then. Great video, made the day on a hot Sunday afternoon, and will be watched and shared often.

Fixed the link that has been broken for a while. Also, video was blocked for a while due to copyrights on the music I had used. Tried to change the music through youtube with marginal success. Only was able to add one song. Anyway, back up and running.

Last edited:
Fixed the link that has been broken for a while. Also, video was blocked for a while due to copyrights on the music I had used. Tried to change the music through youtube with marginal success. Only was able to add one song. Anyway, back up and running.

Best part was at 7:49 when the guy pushing falls and drags along behind it. That would’ve been me.

Wow, The Jeeps are great, but I love the hunting shots. Looks like there might be some Elk in with those Mulies?
Anyone figure out the year of the video and/or the Jeeps?
Also, I wonder if any of those guys were using Winchester pre-64 Model 70's. Qh, to go back in time, to buy old Willys Jeeps, Old Pre-64's, Old Pythons, Old.......
What in particular would you like to go back and buy in this video?

Wow, The Jeeps are great, but I love the hunting shots. Looks like there might be some Elk in with those Mulies?
Anyone figure out the year of the video and/or the Jeeps?
Also, I wonder if any of those guys were using Winchester pre-64 Model 70's. Qh, to go back in time, to buy old Willys Jeeps, Old Pre-64's, Old Pythons, Old.......
What in particular would you like to go back and buy in this video?

Video's are around 1956-1958. The green one, my grandfather's, appears to be a 1956 based on grill bar location.

Here is a video of my Grandpa's truck deer hunting in Eastern and Western Washington. You will notice the men walking along side the Jeep when it's coming out of the steep country loaded with deer. No one was brave enough to ride in it. The film doesn't do justice to how steep it is. My dad is the youngest boy shown in the videos hanging out near the tailgate and sometimes riding on it.
This truck is the reason I bought my Willys.
I think they were walking because there was no room on or in the Willys to sit or stand with all of the deer they got that day. Wow what great hunters all together. Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Wow! That was great! Love the meat hunting, although there were some nice bucks in there. Thanks for sharing. Could have watched a few more hours of that.

Back