Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Don you have the patience of Job! Eat,sleeping, hell even a cruise in would totally cease if I had gotten this far! Nice job Don. I live vicariously through your efforts!

Haha, I hear you. I'm "practicing self-denial?" There was definitely that thought to skip the Cruise-in (and everything else) and keep plugging along.

But the truth is, buxman, it's not really as close as it looks. Yes, the engine and tranny are about ready. But I've got 100 things to get ready on the "truck side," too...

First, I'm still doing "engine side" things, like draining the gas out of the Run Stand - pulling the transfer case levers out (and putting the shaft back in!) - gotta put the gear oil in the tranny and transfer. Getting the heater hose fittings on the engine (that rear one looks almost impossible once it's installed - looks like the firewall would prevent turning it in).

Then I need to drop the crossmember, figure out stuff like speedo cable, parking brake cable, wiring, motor mounts - and I never finished flaring the end of the fuel line, because I still don't know until the engine is in place just where it needs to come to.... Gotta pull it off, until the engine is in there.

And this morning I've been moving stuff - getting it opened up around the Lift so I can get at things easily. Had all kinds of stuff stacked up and in the way....

I've got little notes stuck on a dozen different connections - I gotta REMEMBER how all this stuff links up. haha!

If I'm lucky, I'll have everything positioned, greased, and figured out before dinner.

But it's been out of there for 3 long years - and every single thing that connects back up has been apart, reworked or replaced, and will need adjusted, etc.

Last edited:

airportops

Bigger Hammer
Jan 1, 2019
Conroe, Texas
First Name
Terry
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
And sometimes folks (especially the younger verity) don't know that it is often the anticipation of the next step (that many times is planned out in our minds just before we go to sleep) that is where the fun is. Sure when the Willys is finished it is fun to have but before long all we are thinking about before sleep arrives is - tomorrow I mow the yard! Time for another Willys :p

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
And sometimes folks (especially the younger verity) don't know that it is often the anticipation of the next step (that many times is planned out in our minds just before we go to sleep) that is where the fun is. Sure when the Willys is finished it is fun to have but before long all we are thinking about before sleep arrives is - tomorrow I mow the yard! Time for another Willys :p

Oh my God! You SOOOOO Nailed it!!!

"The Ecstasy of Anticipation far exceeds the Anti-climactic Reality of Completion."

I very literally fall asleep (very quickly) virtually every night planning the steps to be taken the next day......