Oct 20, 2009
Roseburg OR
First Name
Denny
Willys Model
Jeepster
Willys Year:
Hi folks:
I'm wondering what kind of gas mileage to expect on my 226 engined '61 Wagon, no overdrive. It is stock except for a K&N air filter. At last check I got 11.3 mpg with 10% ethanol gas. Guess the odometer could be bit off. I drive mostly around my small town with a few spurts up to 50 mph on two lane highways.

Denny Napier
Roseburg OR

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I don't have an answer, but remember you have 4.27 gear ratio...gas mileage wasn't a priority, pulling power was.

Glenn

Bigger Hammer
Sep 20, 2009
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Mine got 12 as a daily driver, when I used to drive it to work so I'd say you're pretty close to normal with yours.

Willysfan

Precision Fit
Oct 16, 2009
Kuna, Idaho
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Wagon, Pickup
Willys Year:
WOW, I recently acquired a 226 I-6 so I could put my 55 wagon back to stock. Since I plan on using the wagon for a few camping trips, I may reconsider and just rebuild the 283 V8. Better gas mileage. I am interested to see any post on this subject from somebody that has a 226 with overdrive.

Glenn

Bigger Hammer
Sep 20, 2009
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Mine has od but I didn't use it much since my driving was mainly city type. Flathead engines aren't fuel efficient, so 12 or better is pretty good, considering the engine type.