First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
  2. 1965
Jeeps have always been parked here at the farm or in storage someplace. Retired now and finally a chance to play. I have a 62 pickup, 66 cj5, jeep trailer, 60 TR3A Triumph, 61 PA544 Volvo 83 BMW R80st, 90 HD bagger, couple of old tractors, wife says one more and it's curtains for me. I like the old stuff, takes me back in time when life wasn't so complicated. Anyway I enjoy these forums, lots of good folks and tons hidesight, Something very valuable in this day and age. I'm hoping someone can tell me where I can send my carter carb off the 62 to have it rebuilt and still get the same carb back. I enjoy all the reads and respect the enormous talent that makes up this forum. If some one has a name and phone number it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mike

Attachments

• 20181023_163306.jpg
    20181023_163306.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181023_163354.jpg
    20181023_163354.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 36
Welcome aboard Mike. I'm fairly close too you. (Near Gillette Stadium) good carb guys are dinosaurs today. There is still one in Norwood Ma. if you want to send it out. It used to be Universal Carburetor but same guys different name now. I can check them out for you. I would try to find some local first however.
diggerG (Greg)

Welcome aboard Mike. I'm fairly close too you. (Near Gillette Stadium) good carb guys are dinosaurs today. There is still one in Norwood Ma. if you want to send it out. It used to be Universal Carburetor but same guys different name now. I can check them out for you. I would try to find some local first however.
diggerG (Greg)
Thanks, I did rebuild it with a kit but there where a couple of small things missing. It now starts good, runs good but cant get rid of a slight stall when the accelerator linkage first moves, you have to feather through it to bring up the R's. once through it it reves fine. I know that some of the folks that sell parts via catalogs and web sites are willing to send it out (5 to 6 wks), or get an exchange with core. I just want to send this carb out to someone who can rebuild, repair, recondition, bench test, and send the same carb back. I've got emails out to folks but no word as yet.

look up "Scoutpilot" and this is the guy that is highly recommended over on the CJ2A forums !

here it is: http://oldjeepcarbs.com/board/7/contact-scoutpilot

I couldn't find a bookmark for his webpage but if you do some snooping around on the CJ2A forums searching for Carter, you will probably find positive discussion of Scoutpilot's refurbs.

Let us know what shakes-loose.

Welcome to the forum, Mike, from Iowa
Thanks, just learning how to use these sites. If the road to technological enlightenment is paved through computers I'm sure to be road pizza more than once.

it sounds to me like your accelerator pump "squirter" may be delayed somewhat or not working.
With the engine running you can look down into the carb intake and watch for a squirt of fuel while operating the throttle lever.

My '46 2A came with a Solex clone replacement carb and it did not have an inlet-check-ball on the accelerator circuit. go figure.
(so I dug around and scourced one out of a Carter 2bbl kit, and now the accel-pump squirter works).

With the accel pump working properly you should have no stumble or need to feather the throttle, and may not need to send it off.
That would be a treat !

Because of computer enlightenment, I keep my $$$$ circulating while purchasing Willys-parts, which in turn will keep the economy rolling as long as money is circulating.
And, Mike, don't feel like the lone-ranger because I am very technologically dumb when it comes to smart-phones and apps and IT gadgetry.
But once logged onto a Willys parts website it is easy to click on the "add-to-cart" button for that new piece and part. :)
There may be a YouTube video on "how to buy Jeep parts" ! hahahaha

What would we do without YOUTUBE ! _ _ _ right !

I was visiting with a guy up at the Plymouth meet on Friday, and he had recently moved his Howell EFI setup from his 304 amc engine to a 350 chevy he replaced the 304 with. That tells me he is pretty satisfied with the Howell setup. And of course the SM420 that he had installed with the 304 remained behind the chevy 350. go figure.
( I have had a T-18 trans in my CJ-7 for 3-decades and the crawl ability is Amazing )

Thanks, you might be right. I may try another kit again when I have a morning or afternoon to zone in. I also need to try a new intake manifold gasket, or at least look into it further, the distance through the pause shortens after about 30mins of running. It doesn't completely go away but a little more manageable. Also got a 66 cj5, w/dauntless that I'm trying to find time to get the tranny/transfer back in after new pilot bushing/clutch/pressureplate and rebuilt tranny . plus bell crank and linkages. Always something. thanks for your input, i'll post a pick the day it drives out of the shop.

Ha, sounds like you are staying "in-the-zone" with the transmission refurb and all that goes with it. nuts and bolts and lots of Break-time.
What did you have the transmission apart for ? jumping out of second on de-accel ?
At least you won't get bored, right !

I bought the 66 cj5 for what was a decent price. Trans was grinding through every gear, seemed like couldn't disengage with clutch, but it had the dauntless. I'm not sure what it is about these Kaiser years but it seems as though the rigs are built with parts from all years. once I started pulling the tranny I noticed a 2-3/4" spacer between the bell and tranny, but T90 stamped on the top, 9-1/4" input shaft. Pilot bushing was worn. Cross member looked monkeyed with, mounts where bad, had spacers and multiple holes dilled. gonna be a puzzle putting it back in. Got everything rebuilt and new now, just need time to play. On another note, do you know of anyone who has swapped out the bench seat in willys pickups for buckets, and what buckets fit with minimal impact? as always, thank you for advise.

Mike
How big you are is important for pickup seats. There isn't a lot of room for a six footer and seats with thick backs.
diggerG

I was thinkin I may be cramped but the although the present bench is in decent shape the left side springs and under framing are worn out, (someone tried fixing poorly) closest to driver door. I see in some of the past threads folks have used benchs or buckets out of s10's, with cup holders, gotta have that caffeine ride in Sunday mornins through the country this fall.

Thanks, I've been looking for one like this for quite awhile. Bought it from a guy that had it for 8 plus yrs, just like you see it. hardly ever drove it maybe a parade or two. it needed and still needs tons of stuff repaired. I went through the drive train with new oils and seals from front to rear. it had what looked like the original gear oil, black, tarry, stinky stuff, replaced right rear outer and inner wheel bearing, fresh oil, coolant, plugs wires, shocks, battery, rebuilt carb and other small stuff. Still needs, distributor rebuilt or replaced, carb rebuilt by a pro, new coil, ground problems I think, fuel gage and temp not working, and a constant stumble in the rhythm of the motor, and an irritating pause on accelerating that I can't yet get to the bottom of. But it is all fun.

look up "Scoutpilot" and this is the guy that is highly recommended over on the CJ2A forums !

here it is: http://oldjeepcarbs.com/board/7/contact-scoutpilot

I couldn't find a bookmark for his webpage but if you do some snooping around on the CJ2A forums searching for Carter, you will probably find positive discussion of Scoutpilot's refurbs.

Let us know what shakes-loose.
Thanks G7, this looks like a promising lead. I haven't followed up yet but will soon. Got my hands full here (wife's ill and I'm the full time caregiver) and the only time I have short. The carb is a Carter 2467s, you where right in questioning the accel pump. I've been playing around with rebuild kits and tiny check valves that meter the squitter. One check setup is a weight and ball. I started grinding the weight down and it got better. I removed the weight and left the ball, it's run it's best so far. But I don't think i'll be happy until I send it out to a pro for a look see rebuild. On another note.. Im trying to find a pdf on this warn hub (tracing down the notorious front end noises) , not much to it but would like to know more specs. any ideas?JW-5.jpg

Attachments

• JW-4.jpg
    JW-4.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 19
bought it at a auction over 5yrs ago, stored it in pieces in the barn. It is a little to visible but will be real handy getting under my TR3. Wife doesn't like it but,,, it sure will be handy this summer. already got the front axles out of the 62 pickup, it needs lots of stuff, what else is new.

Back