How do you remove the soft top from the windshield?

Zursch

Gear Grinder
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
Hey guys - so, I bought my first Jeep (1955 M38A1) and it's summertime (or, almost) and I want to remove the soft top.

It's all obvious and easy until I get to sliding the forward edge out of the channel on the windshield. It won't budge at all.

It doesn't look like it should be stuck, and it's a newer top, so it's still flexible. Is there a trick to it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Mr.T

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Terry
Willys Model
Wagon, Pickup, Other, CJ
Willys Year:
1948, 1953, 1955
After un-snapping all of the snaps,lift the top off the frame(I lay mine on the hood) and slide the top out of the channel.

Zursch

Gear Grinder
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
Yes, that part is all straightforward - where I'm having the issue is that the top is stuck in the channel. It won't budge!

This morning I woke up with the thought that the installer may have glued it into place.

52 M38 Kurt

Gear Grinder
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
You mught take a heat gun to heat the top and channel. If someone siliconed it in it may help soften the adhesive. If it comes down to it you mat flip the top onto the hood and see if you can stick somthing in the channel to see wif you can loosen it that way. Be careful not to kink or mess up the channel. If you need to bend it out you can always bend it back if careful.

52 M38 Kurt

Gear Grinder
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
Well did some clown before you glue your top in? Like they say stranger things have happened.

Zursch

Gear Grinder
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
The Heat Gun Worked! Got it nice and warm and something gave way after a couple tugs. Now have the Bimini top on and we're ready for Summer!